"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

HardRockRubicon

I'm in the market for a winch on my Hardrock JKU and after all my research I'm stuck and unable to pull the trigger for fear of getting the wrong winch. My budget is around $650 so I have narrowed my it down to four choices. The Smittybilt X2O-10($549.99), X2O-12(649.99), Warn VR8-S($669.99) & VR10-S($769.99). I know the VR8 might be a little small but I don't anticipate using it very often and could utilize a snatch block to increase the pull power. The price point for the VR8-S and the X2O-12 are the same so this is where the title came from. So if you had these two as a choice would you opt for the low end Warn or the upper end Smittybilt? If you went with the Smittybilt would you go for the overkill of the 12 or save a $100 and go with the 10? If you chose the Warn would you go with the underpowered 8 or go over budget by $100 and get the 10? Does anyone have experience with any of these specific models?

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
We put the Smitty built 9.5 on my wife's Jeep. Her criteria was that it was red and black and $300. It's mostly for looks, but have used it a handful of times. As far as the type of Wheeling we do, it's plenty for us and has worked flawlessly. (Never used it while wheeling. Pulled down a tree, pulled a fork lift out of mud, a few odd cars out of snow).

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChiliDawg

I have a Smittybuilt X20, bought it second hand and I've used it to pull myself off of rocks a couple of times and pulled a 4 runner out of a mud hole. No issues to speak of so far.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Just had this same dilemma. Bottom line is, both the Smittybilt and the Warn VR series are made in China. The deciding factor for me was that I'd rather have a Chinese made Warn than a Chinese made Smittybilt.

If Warn is willing to stamp there name on it, it has to be a good product in my opinion.

sunnysideup

The smittybuilt has a lifetime replacement on mechanical parts... 3 years on electrical. I have used my xrc 12,000 for over 40 pulls... still works. 3 years.

Not saying Warn isn't good, but Got a 12,000 XRC with synthetic line for 399 on black Friday... after 3 years it owes me nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked

I have the smitty bolt 12000 I haven't had it long but used it a hand full of times pulling farm equipment and large trees seems to work good and decent line speed but I am saving up for the warn and powerplant air compressor which combo

PokerStogey

Just out of curiosity, why not have the Warn M8000 on the list of options in that price range? It's their US made line I believe.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about the winch game.

SergJKURhino

I have Smittybilt X2O Gen2, 10k, steel cable. Works perfectly, plenty strong, good features, & looks good. At the $390-ish price point (the $549.99 price you're looking at is overpriced...look on ebay), I can replace it with a brand new one w/out shedding a tear if I need to.

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I got the x2O 10k with synthetic line due to budget. It's been great so far and pulled me out and up when needed. So I have no complaints with the smittybilt as of yet. However, if money would have allowed, I would have gotten a warn. They truly are the best.

TRLJNKY

Just out of curiosity, why not have the Warn M8000 on the list of options in that price range? It's their US made line I believe.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about the winch game.

This is the route I am going. M8000 is tried and true and has come highly recommended from members here in the past as the entry level winch. I was told to stay away from the VR series and other manufacturers that are made overseas. Im going to listen to the warning and spend the extra up front for peace of mind. Its not the prettiest but its proven.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I original bought a smittybilt x2o-10 about a year ago. It looks great and was a great price. After about three weeks, the wireless feature failed on on its second time being used. First use was installing the synthetic rope. Very disappointing. Also made me nervous cause I was traveling to AZ with that as a piece of safety equipment. Totally get it though, rather have a cheap winch than none at all. However, the few times I winched with the Smittybilt x2o, I was disappointed with its power. I had used it to pull a small Honda out of shallow mud. Pretty straight forward pull. Strapped the rear wheel and had the owner on the gas (front wheel drive), used the corded trigger to pull he line in. The winch wound up putting a lot of tension on the line but could not pull the small sedan out (did not budge). I know the car was not that stuck because I pulled it out in reverse like nothing. My battery was also brand new 840 cca. Just not as impressive as I thought and an eye opener. So I bought a warn Zeon 10-s and will never look back. Also when I removed the Smittybilt winch the end of the rope pulled off the mount on the drum from rot. Only a year old, not even. I would buy only Warn, even if it is only a VR. If Warn put their name on the VR, it has to be some what better than all the other Chinese brands.

PokerStogey

The m8000 is what I have on my 2dr and it works like a champ. Especially for a cheap warn.

This is the route I am going. M8000 is tried and true and has come highly recommended from members here in the past as the entry level winch. I was told to stay away from the VR series and other manufacturers that are made overseas. Im going to listen to the warning and spend the extra up front for peace of mind. Its not the prettiest but its proven.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Have only used it in a handfull of pulls so far, but it seems pretty bullet proof... and the price point was nice for US made!

Ddays

Hooked
You should look at a winch as safety equipment and safety equipment should NEVER be bought based on cost. It should be bought based on what is best. I started off with a Smittybilt so I know where some of you guys are coming from. BUT, put yourself out on a trail stuck and your winch quits working. What good is that 20 year warranty then? My remote quit working on mine and I never trusted it after that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned look at the M8000 from warn. Unlike the VR series and shittybuilt winch the M8000 is made is the USA just like their higher end models but at a less of a cost. It actually falls in the same price range of the other models you listed. It what I want to switch to and get rid of a Quadratec winch

WJCO

Meme King
You should look at a winch as safety equipment and safety equipment should NEVER be bought based on cost. It should be bought based on what is best. I started off with a Smittybilt so I know where some of you guys are coming from. BUT, put yourself out on a trail stuck and your winch quits working. What good is that 20 year warranty then? My remote quit working on mine and I never trusted it after that.

Well said. Can't put a price on that.

Top Bottom