Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 216

Thread: "Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

  1. #21
    Addict catahoula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    8,388
    Here's the deal if you by Warn you can get that cool sticker that says "Go Prepared"...Smittybilt don't have that shit!
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

    "Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

  2. #22
    Addict Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    9,607
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    Here's the deal if you by Warn you can get that cool sticker that says "Go Prepared"...Smittybilt don't have that shit!
    Smittybilt Sticker

    o-POOP-EMOJI-ICE-CREAM-facebook.jpg

  3. #23
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Smittybilt Sticker
    Fixed it for you:

    o-POOP-EMOJI-ICE-CREAM-facebook.jpg
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  4. #24
    Old Timer DWiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,714
    Guy at the mall: "hey bud, what kind of winch do you have"
    You: "Its a Warn VR Series"
    Guy at the mall: "Oh, nice! I hear Warn makes one of the best! nice jeep"
    Guy from the mall after walking away: "what a bad ass jeep"

    OR

    Guy at the mall: "hey bud, what kind of winch do you have"
    You: "Its not a Warn"
    Guy at the mall: "Oh, but I heard Warn makes one of the best?"
    You: "yeah, they do, but this is just as good. it hasn't failed me once"
    Guy from the mall after walking away: "I wonder what other cheap chinese crap plagues that jeep"

    If you were buying a winch because you need it, IMO recovery gear/WINCH would NOT be where i choose to SAVE money... this decision would be EASY.

    Fast forward to 12:33

    Last edited by DWiggles; 01-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.

  5. #25
    Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,073
    Haven't we had this discussion before?


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #26
    Knows a Thing or Two ChiliDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    Guy at the mall: "hey bud, what kind of winch do you have"
    You: "Its a Warn VR Series"
    Guy at the mall: "Oh, nice! I hear Warn makes one of the best! nice jeep"
    Guy from the mall after walking away: "what a bad ass jeep"

    OR

    Guy at the mall: "hey bud, what kind of winch do you have"
    You: "Its not a Warn"
    Guy at the mall: "Oh, but I heard Warn makes one of the best?"
    You: "yeah, they do, but this is just as good. it hasn't failed me once"
    Guy from the mall after walking away: "I wonder what other cheap chinese crap plagues that jeep"

    If you were buying a winch because you need it, IMO recovery gear/WINCH would NOT be where i choose to SAVE money... this decision would be EASY.

    Fast forward to 12:33

    Of all the reasons I can think of why you should buy one brand over another - what some guy at the mall thinks about it has got to be the least important.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #27
    Addict GraniteCrystal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6,130
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDawg View Post
    Of all the reasons I can think of why you should buy one brand over another - what some guy at the mall thinks about it has got to be the least important.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Resale value could play into it. I know I'd be more skeptical of buying a used Jeep if he put a Smittybuilt on the front because makes me think he cut corners elsewhere as well.

    If you're on one it forever though, this doesn't matter like you say.

  8. #28
    Knows a Thing or Two ChiliDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Resale value could play into it. I know I'd be more skeptical of buying a used Jeep if he put a Smittybuilt on the front because makes me think he cut corners elsewhere as well.

    If you're on one it forever though, this doesn't matter like you say.
    You never get your money back out of your investment when you sell it anyway.

    Personally I think if you've got the money and want to buy the brand name, go for it. But I wouldn't steer anyone away from a Smittybuilt because "it's not cool." It's a winch. It's a utility item. And they work. Most of the bigger price tag on a Warn is paying for the brand name. JMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #29
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28,802
    I think Warn's outstanding reputation of quality is why people do pay the higher price.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  10. #30
    Addict Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    9,607
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDawg View Post
    You never get your money back out of your investment when you sell it anyway.

    Personally I think if you've got the money and want to buy the brand name, go for it. But I wouldn't steer anyone away from a Smittybuilt because "it's not cool." It's a winch. It's a utility item. And they work. Most of the bigger price tag on a Warn is paying for the brand name. JMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    In 70 degree weather at an offroad park with lots of guys around its a utility item.

    Stuck in the snow by yourself miles into a trail that utility item now becomes a safety item.

    It all comes down to what you are willing to take a chance on. If you will never be in a life threatening situation with your rig go for what you feel best. I'd just rather
    err to the side of caution for a few more hundred bucks.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS