Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

Fresh Catch

Question "Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

I'm in the market for a winch on my Hardrock JKU and after all my research I'm stuck and unable to pull the trigger for fear of getting the wrong winch. My budget is around $650 so I have narrowed my it down to four choices. The Smittybilt X2O-10($549.99), X2O-12(649.99), Warn VR8-S($669.99) & VR10-S($769.99). I know the VR8 might be a little small but I don't anticipate using it very often and could utilize a snatch block to increase the pull power. The price point for the VR8-S and the X2O-12 are the same so this is where the title came from. So if you had these two as a choice would you opt for the low end Warn or the upper end Smittybilt? If you went with the Smittybilt would you go for the overkill of the 12 or save a $100 and go with the 10? If you chose the Warn would you go with the underpowered 8 or go over budget by $100 and get the 10? Does anyone have experience with any of these specific models?

Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar
    We put the Smitty built 9.5 on my wife's Jeep. Her criteria was that it was red and black and $300. It's mostly for looks, but have used it a handful of times. As far as the type of Wheeling we do, it's plenty for us and has worked flawlessly. (Never used it while wheeling. Pulled down a tree, pulled a fork lift out of mud, a few odd cars out of snow).

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a Smittybuilt X20, bought it second hand and I've used it to pull myself off of rocks a couple of times and pulled a 4 runner out of a mud hole. No issues to speak of so far.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just had this same dilemma. Bottom line is, both the Smittybilt and the Warn VR series are made in China. The deciding factor for me was that I'd rather have a Chinese made Warn than a Chinese made Smittybilt.

If Warn is willing to stamp there name on it, it has to be a good product in my opinion.

Warn. Good reputation.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

I'd buy Warn just for the name.

2009 Red Rock Crystal jk 2.5" lift cooper S/T Maxx's
    1942 willys MB work in progress

The smittybuilt has a lifetime replacement on mechanical parts... 3 years on electrical. I have used my xrc 12,000 for over 40 pulls... still works. 3 years.

Not saying Warn isn't good, but Got a 12,000 XRC with synthetic line for 399 on black Friday... after 3 years it owes me nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 01-09-2017 at 04:33 AM.
    God's area code is 406!
    PastorJohnMontana

"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

I have the smitty bolt 12000 I haven't had it long but used it a hand full of times pulling farm equipment and large trees seems to work good and decent line speed but I am saving up for the warn and powerplant air compressor which combo

Take what you can! Give nothing back!

Been Around the Block PokerStogey's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, why not have the Warn M8000 on the list of options in that price range? It's their US made line I believe.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about the winch game.

"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

I have Smittybilt X2O Gen2, 10k, steel cable. Works perfectly, plenty strong, good features, & looks good. At the $390-ish price point (the $549.99 price you're looking at is overpriced...look on ebay), I can replace it with a brand new one w/out shedding a tear if I need to.

Last edited by SergJKURhino; 01-09-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast