Cav's rear bumper build

TRLJNKY

Been wanting to do this build for a while now. Long story short, I am on a budget and needed a rear bumper and tire carrier. I didnt want to invest in a cheap chinese brand and didnt have the funds to go out and spend a fortune on a well built bumper and carrier also. So here is my build thus far. 1/4 plate steel, I used a hub and spindle for a light utility trailer as the pivot (Carrier to be designed and built later), and did the best I could. Right now Im coming in at about 75-80 lbs as a best guess. What I need is some opinions. My roof rack will remain because I use my rtt during camping seasons. From the pics, can anyone provide some input on what they would add or take away before I finish it. The corners were built to set on rocks and slide and the bottoms lowest point is the factory hitch. I wanted to keep the factory hitch as the lowest point for two reasons. 1) it gets damaged easy to replace 2) less material to hang up using the same height as factory crossmember.

I need you bad ass wheelers please provide some input before I say all done.

Later Ill do the same with the carrier. Thank you 20170107_115651.jpg 20170108_104424.jpeg 20170109_134056.jpg 20170109_134136.jpg 20170109_135023.jpg 20170109_111843.jpg

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

TRLJNKY

Forgot to mention Im adding reverse lights and shackle mounts on Wed when the packages show up

TRLJNKY

Thanks everyone. I wish I could claim credit for the fabwork but that credit goes to my buddy. I just had the vision, bought the material, assisted,and was the finisher. All the welding and fab work is his. Im just going to owe him my first born and lots of beer when its all done lol. Anyone see any issues so far that may need to be addresses? Minus the shackle mounts and lights. Those are on the way. I just want to address any known (seen) hang points

J

JKDream

Thanks everyone. I wish I could claim credit for the fabwork but that credit goes to my buddy. I just had the vision, bought the material, assisted,and was the finisher. All the welding and fab work is his. Im just going to owe him my first born and lots of beer when its all done lol. Anyone see any issues so far that may need to be addresses? Minus the shackle mounts and lights. Those are on the way. I just want to address any known (seen) hang points

I would keep an eye on the spindle mount location, from the photo it looks really close to the tub.

TRLJNKY

I would keep an eye on the spindle mount location, from the photo it looks really close to the tub.
Thx for the heads up. Yeah we opened the gate all the way and it clears. Worst case we may have to angle off the spindle instead of just squaring up IF its position wont allow a straight shot left to right. Havnt decided if I want to look at a traditional triangle style mount or go ahead and try a cage style. Right now ideas are running rampant and why Im asking for input. Thx again for your insight

jeeeep

Hooked
looks good, the corners look a bit close to your roof rack.

I've seen heavy steel bumpers with similar corners bend upwards taking big hits on the rocks

Saw it happen recently at a run in September - the bumper looked like it was made with thick steel, had similar end cap design. Jeep was coming off a big rock, it slid sideways dropping the bumper on the boulder and bent the end cap upwards

TRLJNKY

looks good, the corners look a bit close to your roof rack.

I've seen heavy steel bumpers with similar corners bend upwards taking big hits on the rocks

Saw it happen recently at a run in September - the bumper looked like it was made with thick steel, had similar end cap design. Jeep was coming off a big rock, it slid sideways dropping the bumper on the boulder and bent the end cap upwards

I wanted to be close to the roof rack corners in hopes of trying to protect them a little bit. When I did the Rubicon I came down pretty hard a couple of times on the corners of the roof rack. Fortunately, I didn't damage anything. In hindsight, I am glad I had those corners on though because my lack of lift probably would have resulted in tub damage. Thought process is if it hits hopefully the bumper will take the brunt. I am hoping it wont be an issue but thanks for pointing that out.

I can add some more support in the rear corners of the bumper if needed. Most bumpers I saw were made with 3/16 and we used 1/4 so I was hoping it was a hell of a lot stronger. Hell, I was worried if I hit hard enough I would bend the frame before I bent the bumper but I guess we will see. Im still waiting on the lights and shackle mounts so I will definitely look at maybe strengthening the corners a bit more just in case. A couple more pounds isn't going to kill me. Than again I only have the mighty 3.8 :D

Thanks for the heads up!

WJCO

Meme King
Looking awesome. I built my own on the WJ, and it's kind of a learn as you go kind of thing. But for what you got now, looks like you've got everything covered, it looks great. Once you get the carrier built, that's where you start spending a lot of time on measuring, clearances, rattles, operation, plate lights, etc.

How are you planning on latching it?

One extra thing I did that has been the best mod so far for me is a spring-loaded pop pin that stops automatically so it doesn't hit the Jeep body. Not sure if you're building some kind of opening stop. That same pin helps it to stay open so it doesn't come back and hit you in the ass.

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

Great looking bumper. I do have to agree with JKDream from the picture the spindle mount location does look a bit on the close side. Hope is just the angle of the picture, because it really is a damn nice looking bumper.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom