Evolving? New JKU Build thread!

132JKPNW

So I'm getting rid of my 2013 Jk and upgrading to a 2017 JKU (ordered today). I have a wife, son, two labs (ones fit and 95lbs), and probably one more little one the way. I figured I would get something that made a little more sense and allow the whole family to get out together. Here is my current Jeep and the super special order of our new family wagon. Yes, I got an Automatic because the boss said so, but i got a JKU with 3.73 (for the time being), auto, and half doors in granite...Let the build begin! (in 6-9 Weeks) when it actually gets here...
Btw the way, I get to keep my Garmin 650T ram mount, Grabars, Kc Gravity Pro headlights, MetalCloak tie Rod, Fox ATS SS, all 5 MTR's and Method NV Wheels, Warn 8000s Winch, and all my recovery gear. I lose my VKS bumpers, 4.56 Gears, DIY Lizard Skin Tub Liner, and MetalCloak Game changer 3.5" lift. This time, now that i have more knowledge i hope to build it right the first time, and cant wait to get yall's input!
DSC_222.jpg New Jeep.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0281.jpg
    DSC_0281.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

132JKPNW

So I already have a lift semi built in my head. Just off the bat, Because I'm a fan of MC, I'm thinking the essential 3.5" game changer system minus the coils and shocks, and using the Evo bolt on coilover kit. This includes front and rear mid arm CA's, front and rear track bars, brake lines, brackets, sway bar links and then the Evo bolt on kit? What do you guys think? ALL opinions are encouraged and welcome, I have two months till I get my JKU and then another 4 months before I have a good chunk of change to drop in to it. I plan on running 37's, already have a spare tom woods front driveshaft as well as the parts I mentioned above. Also, I'll be getting a PR44 or XD60 at the same time. This will be a daily driver the will get wheeled both overland style and on the rocks on the weekends. 40s will come when I retire and the money is there. XD60?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So I already have a lift semi built in my head. Just off the bat, Because I'm a fan of MC, I'm thinking the essential 3.5" game changer system minus the coils and shocks, and using the Evo bolt on coilover kit. This includes front and rear mid arm CA's, front and rear track bars, brake lines, brackets, sway bar links and then the Evo bolt on kit? What do you guys think? ALL opinions are encouraged and welcome, I have two months till I get my JKU and then another 4 months before I have a good chunk of change to drop in to it. I plan on running 37's, already have a spare tom woods front driveshaft as well as the parts I mentioned above. Also, I'll be getting a PR44 or XD60 at the same time. This will be a daily driver the will get wheeled both overland style and on the rocks on the weekends. 40s will come when I retire and the money is there. XD60?

I'd go all EVO. Why mid-arm, anyway? How much longer are the Metalcloak "midarms" than standard control arms?

132JKPNW

I'd go all EVO. Why mid-arm, anyway? How much longer are the Metalcloak "midarms" than standard control arms?

I don't believe the MC are "longer", just adjustable. Why go Evo Control arm? And are you referring to the Long arm? What benefit would I get from a long arm over a more standard length adjustable control arm? One thing I would like to stay away from it cutting any brackets and welding on new ones. If it is worth it, then I might reconsider.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Since your getting a new jku you only need front lower control arms to set your caster. If you get an aftermarket rear shaft then you will need rear uppers to set your pinion angle.

With that being said I would just look at the evo enforcer pro kit (https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-enforcer-pro-stage-1-jk-jku/). It literally comes with everything you need

Also the evo arms use johnny joints which are the best joints on the market and will not bind like the Mc joints

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I don't believe the MC are "longer", just adjustable. Why go Evo Control arm? And are you referring to the Long arm? What benefit would I get from a long arm over a more standard length adjustable control arm? One thing I would like to stay away from it cutting any brackets and welding on new ones. If it is worth it, then I might reconsider.

What Cozdude said.

132JKPNW

If I went that route I think I would lean more towards the the double d pro. So the MC joint ride great, is there a lot of feedback/ harshness with the johnny joints?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If I went that route I think I would lean more towards the the double d pro. So the MC joint ride great, is there a lot of feedback/ harshness with the johnny joints?

Zero with the JJ. Also there is no real need for a long arm. The stock jk arms work just great so all you really need is front lowers to correct caster

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I'm not taking your advice, it sounds like I could still use the MC CA's and still achieve the same results?

It's your money and your Jeep. You seem to have a clear idea of what you want to do with both and you should.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

I have that lift and I'd steer you away from the track bars. Just get a drag link flip, which will come with a raised front track bar bracket. Then you can reuse your stock one and still keep your axle centered. Also, get a raised TB bracket for the rear too. (I'd also recommend welding on that TB bracket to the axle)

PR44 vs XD60 debate comes down to what you want, but if you're thinking 40's at some point, just get the 60 now and you won't have to do it again. Just keep in mind you'll need new wheels due to the new wheel pattern of the 60.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Not that I'm not taking your advice, it sounds like I could still use the MC CA's and still achieve the same results?

What everyone is trying to say is the joint that metalcloak uses is not the same as a Johnny Joint. A JJ is generally known as the best joint on the market, is rebuildable, and isn't going to blow out like the MetalCloak joints have. Also, there have been several issues with MetalCloak arms documented here. Do a search and they should come up. If MC is what you want, then by all means. No one is trying to talk you out of spending your money on what you want. They are just letting you know that there are better products out there and showing you your options. Also, seems to me like they are trying to help you not waste money, as all you need with that amount of lift is front lower control arms to correct caster. In your original post you stated 'all' opinions are welcomed. They are just sharing their opinion.

Top Bottom