Rescued a jeep from mud that won't start now

black pearl

Hooked
Just saved a friend from a mud hole he said when he hit the water the jeep died I thought he may have hydro locked the motor pulled it to my house and pulled the plugs hear the starter engage but won't turn the motor also tried to turn motor over by hand doesn't seem to want to move hoping he didn't lock the motor up as he just put it in

Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

If you pulled the plugs and tried to bar the motor over unsuccessfully Im thinking the prognosis is grim. For your friends sake Im hoping Im wrong though. Youve done what Id do short of pulling shit apart to verify. See if anyone else has a good idea. Good luck

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

black pearl

Hooked
If you pulled the plugs and tried to bar the motor over unsuccessfully Im thinking the prognosis is grim. For your friends sake Im hoping Im wrong though. Youve done what Id do short of pulling shit apart to verify. See if anyone else has a good idea. Good luck

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Yeah I'd doesn't look good from my end either but one can hope right... haha

Breer

Caught the Bug
Marvel mystery oil can also be used. Been around forever, I have read how the military used it to free up motors after long storage periods back in the 40's and 50's. It's easy to find, even Wally World has it.

Jkratt

Since water doesn't compress I afraid of what may have happened. Like everything on a jeep the thing that breaks is the thing with the least strength. I will pray everything works out okay. It could be the piston rings got damaged causing the engine to lock up. This is well above my skills. Hopefully a good mechanic, honest mechanic can help you.

black pearl

Hooked
Since water doesn't compress I afraid of what may have happened. Like everything on a jeep the thing that breaks is the thing with the least strength. I will pray everything works out okay. It could be the piston rings got damaged causing the engine to lock up. This is well above my skills. Hopefully a good mechanic, honest mechanic can help you.

Well didn't find water in the cylinders which makes me think something else

RonG

You could drain some oil from the pan into a clear container. If there's water in the bottom, the odds are it's hydrolocked (sorry).

RMC2

Caught the Bug
If there was no water in the cylinders (I would also look for milky oil in the pan) then I'm with Red-knight on the starter. Could have a bad spot. Try tapping with a hammer or pull it and check it.

Also you can put a socket on the front of the crank and turn it over by hand to verify it will turn. It is easy with the plugs out.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd pull the transmission small cover plate to see how much mud is packed under there and also drop the oil pan for signs of water

WJCO

Meme King
If you still have plugs out, you can put some kind of measuring device in the cylinders. Find out which cylinders are companion cylinders and then compare measurements. Companion piston height should be identical between the two. If you find two that should be but aren't, sorry, rod is bent. Beats pulling the head to find that out.

jesse3638

Hooked
Water does compress. It takes 300k psi to compress it 1%. Sorry I teach hydraulics..haha

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
If you still have plugs out, you can put some kind of measuring device in the cylinders. Find out which cylinders are companion cylinders and then compare measurements. Companion piston height should be identical between the two. If you find two that should be but aren't, sorry, rod is bent. Beats pulling the head to find that out.

Ill check this also [emoji106]

Top Bottom