Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: OEM Clutch or ?

  1. #1
    Caught the Bug Fuhaxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    61

    OEM Clutch or ?

    Hey Jeepers!

    I recently brought my Jeep to a shop after hearing some ear retching sounds from my bell housing side of the transmission. Yup, clutch. They offered to either replace it with an OEM clutch kit or a perfection clutch kit for $30 dollars more. The question I have for you is would you, 1) Go OEM or Perfection, or 2) A different clutch kit entirely like SPEC or Centerforce. The current estimate for my repairs are $1450 being $250 of that is going to the rear main seal (They mentioned it being more expensive because there's apparently a plate that the seal is pushed against that needs to be replaced with it) that I opted and gladly accepted since it was already leaking. Calling them tomorrow to give the go ahead with my decision.

    I really don't want to change the clutch myself. I don't have enough competence in my skills nor the amount of friends who can help me out since they're dealing with family and kids and after watching my buddy replace his clutch on his diesel and seeing him take his NV4500 out I wasn't excited to ever do that job myself.
    Last edited by Fuhaxian; 01-11-2017 at 10:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Hooked Bustedback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    238

    OEM Clutch or ?

    I kind of have the same question. I would like to get the Centerforce kit, but I'm not sure if would be as smooth as the OEM clutch.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Been Around the Block dannymalkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    465
    I'm my opinion the stock clutch has lasted quite a while and seems to get the job done, so when it comes time I'll be replacing it with another stock one.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Knows a Thing or Two QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    646
    I posted on here recently with a similar question. I didn't receive as many responses as I had hoped for. After surfing the internet for answers I decided to go with the centerforce. I do know that it will change the clutch feel, and I kinda like a grabby clutch. I won't have time to tackle the install for a while though.
    I also read that the OE throw out bearings are prone to failure so it's a good idea to get a good aftermarket TOB at least.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two Warebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    555
    Damn that's more expensive than I thought. I wish I had some input, but I've also been wondering what I'd get...


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Hooked ChopperDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    I posted on here recently with a similar question. I didn't receive as many responses as I had hoped for. After surfing the internet for answers I decided to go with the centerforce. I do know that it will change the clutch feel, and I kinda like a grabby clutch. I won't have time to tackle the install for a while though.
    I also read that the OE throw out bearings are prone to failure so it's a good idea to get a good aftermarket TOB at least.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Did you get the centerforce installed? How do you like it


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #7
    Knows a Thing or Two QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    646
    After everything was installed it had a bit of chatter during brake in, but now engages and disengages smoothly. It is a bit grabby compared to stock, but not excessively so. I would say it is an ok option, nothing great or bad to say. I also used a national brand TOB when I installed.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Hooked ChopperDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    After everything was installed it had a bit of chatter during brake in, but now engages and disengages smoothly. It is a bit grabby compared to stock, but not excessively so. I would say it is an ok option, nothing great or bad to say. I also used a national brand TOB when I installed.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Sounds good, I think this is route I will take. Did you also do the centerforce flywheel


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #9
    Knows a Thing or Two QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    646
    No, I had planned on reusing mine. When I pulled it apart it had a bit of heat damage, so I ended up grabbing a replacement from napa.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  10. #10
    Hooked ChopperDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    No, I had planned on reusing mine. When I pulled it apart it had a bit of heat damage, so I ended up grabbing a replacement from napa.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS