Quick 1/4lber questions

mastrcruse

I'm going to start the install tonight and had a quick question.

Can I install the stinger on the bumper with the 8 front bolts and drill the top bolt holes while the bumper is on my workbench? Or is it advisable to do it on the jeep? Are the top bolts accessible while the bumper is on or is it pretty tight? Stumbling over words this morning so hopefully thats clear as mud.

Looks like the best way to do the install is to mount the winch prior to putting the bumper on the jeep. Have it full tightened down with the fairlead, light mount ect already on and tighten. Is this the correct approach?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Can I install the stinger on the bumper with the 8 front bolts and drill the top bolt holes while the bumper is on my workbench? Or is it advisable to do it on the jeep? Are the top bolts accessible while the bumper is on or is it pretty tight? Stumbling over words this morning so hopefully thats clear as mud.

Looks like the best way to do the install is to mount the winch prior to putting the bumper on the jeep. Have it full tightened down with the fairlead, light mount ect already on and tighten. Is this the correct approach?

Yes you can and that's how I drilled the hole in mine

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks. Did you mount the stinger fully prior to putting it on the jeep then?

Once I drilled the top bolts out I mounted the stinger to the bumper as well as the winch. Then I lifted the bumper onto the frame and made sure I had the proper spacing

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I can not answer about the stinger for sure but I mounted my bumper and then the winch but I don't have the stinger yet. I would assume you could still do this even with the stinger but I would say I would try to mount the stinger to the bumper with it off of the jeep.

BPA

My brother and I installed the 1/4's on both of our jeeps this past month. On his jeep, we mounted the bumper first then the stinger to drill the holes and removed the bumper from the jeep. We then bolted the stinger to the bumper and then installed it back to the jeep.

mastrcruse

One more quick question for now...

The fairlead light mount...does it sandwich between the fairlead and the bumper or is it it on the inner part of the bumper?

So...

Bumper > light mount > fairlead

Or

Light mount > bumper > fairlead

I haven't started but thought I'd ask really quickly....starting after work this afternoon

desertrunner

Looks like Coz answered your question mostly already but i just finished up my install 2 days ago so ill try to add a little insight. I chose to mount the bumper and stinger up to the jeep to drill the holes then pull it all back off to paint then put it all back on. Im not sure how Coz did it but im not entirely sure if you install those top 6 bolts if it will clear the frame horn to slide it on the jeep but i didnt try it so im not sure. when installing the front outside top stinger bolts it is a pretty tight fit to get your hand in there and install the nut but its plenty doable. also if you havent done so already when you cut the crash bar off go ahead and knotch the frame horn so the nut will clear the frame horn. (ill add a pic in a min) I also chose to install the winch after i installed the bumper on the jeep but only because the power plant and bumper is heavy as shit i wouldnt have been able to lift it, so im sure you would have no problem doing that if you have help to lift it.

mastrcruse

Thanks guys.

I've got it on the saw horses and have the frame bolts tightened down (not on the jeep) and the drivers side is lining up perfectly so I drilled the holes. The passenger side isn't lining up perfectly....should I put a c clamp on it and pull it straight or is this pretty normal? IMG_2239.jpg

mastrcruse

The picture shows the driver side is perfect.

Passenger side..it needs to come over a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 60

desertrunner

Mine sits a little more passenger side in so not quite perfectly center as per my PM here are some pics.

Passenger
20170113_071428.jpg

Driver
20170113_071438.jpg

I just kinda slapped the bumper up there and drilled the holes but I'm sure with clamps you can get it to sit flush and more in the center then drill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

Thanks! My passenger side might be ever so slight (I mean 1/16th) more inward than yours. I also received other pictures from a facebook club that shows the same thing so I think I'm in the norm category.

Thanks again!

mastrcruse

Wanted to thank everyone for their help. I finished the vacuum relo and mounted the stinger to the Bumper. My passenger side actually fit perfectly after I tightened 2 frame bolts on each side and attached and tighten the driver side stinger bolts. This was all don't on my work bench. Tomorrow I'm installing the Bumper, and new hidproejctor headlights....hope I can sleep tonight!

mastrcruse

Got er' done. Definitely had to shave the top corner of the frame mount and after that all went on perfectly. Just enough room to get the grille on and off but might remove that center pin. HIDProjectors lights went on at the same time too.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 40

mastrcruse

I was glad that you can see the stingers top from the drivers seat. Also, for anyone that finds this thread thinking about getting this Bumper over others....do it! Thing is so beefy and is one of the nicest bumpers I've seen. I liked my poison spyder but this one takes the cake. If you have a zeon winch, put the Bumper on first, winch on, tighten the Bumper bolts then tighten the winch bolts.

Negative about the Bumper...it makes your 35's look tiny

Attachments

• IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Top Bottom