HYBRID JL Wrangler - Would You Want One?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure, Jeep has been kicking around the idea of an electric or hybrid Wrangler for quite some time now and it's far from anything new but a recent article published on Autoblog had Jeep's global chief Mike Manley bringing it back to the forefront. Of course, my question to you is, would you want one?

main.php

A hybrid Jeep Wrangler could be in the cards for new generation

Jeep could make a hybrid version of its iconic off-roader, the Wrangler, the head of the Jeep brand suggested in an interview with Autoblog.

Speaking this week on the floor of the Detroit Auto Show, Jeep's global chief Mike Manley said "the hybridization could actually help Wrangler," noting it could improve torque distribution, a critical element for four-wheel drive vehicles.

Manley added, "Electrification, absolutely. I could see Wrangler being a form of electric." The Jeep boss didn't offer further details, though a hybrid Wrangler has been rumored for years.

The next-generation off-roader is due for the 2018 model year, which means a reveal is imminent. Hybrid technology would likely be used to assist the Wrangler's performance and efficiency, rather than as a total fuel-economy play. The next-gen Wrangler is expected to have LED lights, updated and more aerodynamic design, and greater use of aluminum. A turbo four-cylinder gasoline engine, a diesel engine, and an eight-speed automatic transmission are also among the powertrain rumors, though the diesel may be in jeopardy after the EPA accused FCA US of installing emission-control software on its EcoDiesels.

Despite the changes, this new Jeep will be instantly recognizable as a Wrangler, Manley told us. "It's the icon of our brand."

Full article published here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/13/...ias-2017-interview/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

WJCO

Meme King
Nope. Strictly because I'm already too opinionated with Hybrid technology, lol. If it actually did help the environment and wasn't politically motivated or a way to show off to your friends how 'environmental' you are, Hybrid technology is a great idea.

Ddays

Hooked
Not a chance in hell! :eek:

What do you carry for spare 'gas'? :thinking: You'd have to tow a friggin' generator!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda have to wonder about the batteries that it'd need and how much more weight that would add to everything.

Randy Tadevich

Nope. Strictly because I'm already too opinionated with Hybrid technology, lol. If it actually did help the environment and wasn't politically motivated or a way to show off to your friends how 'environmental' you are, Hybrid technology is a great idea.
I'm with WJCO. Where are the significant savings for buying/owning one?!? Bring down the damn prices.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Chevy learned a hard lesson with hybrid trucks. Jeep had to be watching. Want to punch up sales a bunch, put a small, fuel efficient V-8 in it.:twocents:

CastleRockJeep

I'd be curious, not from an environmental standpoint, as I don't believe they help the environment. Hell if you plug it in here in Colorado you're driving a coal powered car. But when I think peak torque at 1 rpm it's interesting Or maybe it's just instant lost traction?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Hybrid, not sure. Full electric, not a chance. I think it's backwards evolution of the automobile. Right now I can drive 300 miles, stop for 10 minutes to fill up, pee, get a drink and some lickey chewies and roll out for another 300 miles. I'm not willing to buy a Jeep I'd have to charge for hours to get less range than I have now.
For an inter city car, I totally get it and would consider owning one if I lived in a big city where my commute was in range and I had places to plug in. For a Jeep though? Forget it.

For people who "overland" or just find themselves camping for extended periods of time, taking long drives off the highway you won't have any way of charging it, unless you're sharkey and have all the solar panels etc but even then will that be enough to hold you off or get you by? I doubt it. So until the tech is more advanced to fit a "jeeper lifestyle" I wouldn't be interested.

Randy Tadevich

Being that a small percentage of jeep owners mod their jeeps for extreme stuff, let alone take them off road for what they are intended for, that large percent of "city folk" would make them sell like hot cakes.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mijku

I think there are some misconception that hybrids are just electric vehicles. There are hybrids that use engine and regenerative braking to charge the battery pack and never plug in. A plug in version that adds a charge pack/plug port to the above. Then full electric with no engine, just electric motor. I would not buy a full electric but would be interested if a hybrid could significantly increase my fuel mileage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

J-VET

Spares and tools already take up enough room on a long trip. It seems like there will more going on mechanically creating more opportunity for something to go wrong. The simpler the better for me.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepgreen

While it is true that they are doing some amazing things with electric assist in some European supercars, hybrids really aren't that green, the batteries will eventually be unchargeable, are highly toxic, and require special handling to be disposed of, that said, a full electric would be great yet, at this time a practical version in regards to a Jeep lifestyle doesn't exist. after all, one of the best thing about a Jeep is it's simplicity adding more weight and complexity seems contrary to that.

Sent from my SM-T350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Shanetrn1

The biggest drawback to me would be the weight of the batteries... They mention using more aluminum, assuming they would have to lighten it quite a bit to offset the extra weight

Top Bottom