Where to start to trouble shoot a rear ProRock 80 locker that won't engage?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Anyone know where to start to trouble shoot a rear ProRock 80 locker that won't engage? Front works fine so that rules out compressor. When I have the compressor on and turn on the rear locker switch, the compressor cycles for a second or less, which tells me the solenoid and switch are working properly. Compressor does not run constantly which tells me there isn't an air leak. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you don't mind but I copied your post and moved it into the Tech forum being that it's a topic that could benefit more people than just those following your thread.

That being said, it sounds to me like you've got a melted air line. When the compressor comes on, it's charging just the length of line up to the melted point and then shuts off. Obviously, your locker isn't getting any air and that's why it's not working.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie could it also be a pinched line? Or a clog etc? I know a clog probably never happens but just curious!

Actually, the line could get clogged with gear oil and that's a common problem with older ARB's or ones that have a bad o-ring inside the locker. However, if it were just pinched or clogged, you could keep activating the locker switch and it would keep charging just a bit. Eventually, you would get enough air into the locker and it would work. When the line is melted shut (A VERY COMMON PROBLEM), the compressor will just charge the length of line connect to it and stop. You could push the button on and off all you want but it would not activate it again.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Hope you don't mind but I copied your post and moved it into the Tech forum being that it's a topic that could benefit more people than just those following your thread.

That being said, it sounds to me like you've got a melted air line. When the compressor comes on, it's charging just the length of line up to the melted point and then shuts off. Obviously, your locker isn't getting any air and that's why it's not working.

Thanks Eddie. Makes complete sense. Just finished getting the Jeep clean and free of mud so I'll crawl under and start checking out the lines.

Last edited:
Actually, the line could get clogged with gear oil and that's a common problem with older ARB's or ones that have a bad o-ring inside the locker. However, if it were just pinched or clogged, you could keep activating the locker switch and it would keep charging just a bit. Eventually, you would get enough air into the locker and it would work. When the line is melted shut (A VERY COMMON PROBLEM), the compressor will just charge the length of line connect to it and stop. You could push the button on and off all you want but it would not activate it again.

Wonderful Eddie! Thought it ask for my own info but just in case someone had a similar question! [emoji106][emoji106]

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Well I checked out the air line and couldn't find anything that stood out. Most of the line is hidden inside the frame rail. All the line from the frame rail to the axle is covered with wire loom and looked good, and the front section from the compressor to the frame rail looked good. I'm flying back to Kabul for work today so I won't be able to look at it more thoroughly until I'm home again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I checked out the air line and couldn't find anything that stood out. Most of the line is hidden inside the frame rail. All the line from the frame rail to the axle is covered with wire loom and looked good, and the front section from the compressor to the frame rail looked good. I'm flying back to Kabul for work today so I won't be able to look at it more thoroughly until I'm home again.

Your melted line is inside the frame rail. I don't know why Mel's guys keep on running the stupid line in it as it gets stupid hot from the exhaust running along side it and EVERY SINGLE MELTED LINE I've seen has been inside of it including on my Jeep. When you get back, I would disconnect it at the diff, pull it out and I can almost guarantee that you'll find the melted spot.

g00se04

Your melted line is inside the frame rail. I don't know why Mel's guys keep on running the stupid line in it as it gets stupid hot from the exhaust running along side it and EVERY SINGLE MELTED LINE I've seen has been inside of it including on my Jeep. When you get back, I would disconnect it at the diff, pull it out and I can almost guarantee that you'll find the melted spot.

I ended up running my arb inside of this heat shield loom because of that reason. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UPMU60/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I prolly need to find a better way to reroute that line than on the drivers side.

highoctane

Caught the Bug

Sounds like you might disagree with running the line there? [emoji23] With no airflow and the hot exhaust RIGHT next to the frame it makes complete sense. I've been swamped getting ready to go back to work and didn't have time to properly look it over. I'll have to add Rerouting of locker lines to my to do list on my next trip home.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, so you're saying you disagree with running the line there? [emoji23] With no airflow and the hot exhaust RIGHT next to the frame it makes complete sense. I've been swamped getting ready to go back to work and didn't have time to properly look it over. I'll have to add Rerouting of locker lines to my to do list on my next trip home.

I can only tell you what I have personally seen on my Jeep and on others time and time again. I route my line on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail and along side the outside of my body mounts. Haven't had any more problems since.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I can only tell you what I have personally seen on my Jeep and on others time and time again. I route my line on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail and along side the outside of my body mounts. Haven't had any more problems since.

I appreciate the info! I'll have to yank it out of there and route it like you mentioned. [emoji481]

Top Bottom