Swapping rear Dana 35 for a Dana 44 on 07 JK

mj23afr15

Hello fellow Jeepers. I am still new to the forum. Don't get a chance to post much. I need some help I have a 07 JK X with a D35 I purchased a D44 off a 10 JK X. I have never done a swap but I have worked on my spider gears thanks to this forum. The question i have is what tools do I need to do the swap? Also my D35 was 4.10. The D44 I purchase is 3.73. I am pretty sure I have to swap out the carrier and the spider gears but just want to get any input on what brand I should look for. Thanks for all the information in advance looking forward to posting more. I will be posting pictures Tuesday when the d44 arrives to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I assume we're talking front? Pretty straight swap with basic hand tools. How did you get a jk with a Dana 35?

Edit: Title says rear. So you have a rear 35? That's a new one...

dannymalkin

You will need to regear the axle to match the front ratio. I would assume you can't do that and neither can I or most other people. If it wasn't for that the swap would be pretty easy

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello fellow Jeepers. I am still new to the forum. Don't get a chance to post much. I need some help I have a 07 JK X with a D35 I purchased a D44 off a 10 JK X. I have never done a swap but I have worked on my spider gears thanks to this forum. The question i have is what tools do I need to do the swap? Also my D35 was 4.10. The D44 I purchase is 3.73. I am pretty sure I have to swap out the carrier and the spider gears but just want to get any input on what brand I should look for. Thanks for all the information in advance looking forward to posting more. I will be posting pictures Tuesday when the d44 arrives to my house.

The axle should just bolt right up. That's the easy part. You will NOT be able to use the gears in your Dana 35 on your new 44. If it were me, I would use the opportunity to have a locker installed as there would be no extra labor involved and can be done at the same time as your re-gear. You can always remove your front drive shaft and drive around in 2WD until you can do this.

Rear. Early '07's came with D35's in the rear.

Yup, this. VENGEANCE came with a factory Dana 35 rear axle.

I've read that too, never seen one although I remember seeing a 2wheel drive 07. JP mag tried to say a couple months ago that the 35 in a jk was a myth

Just goes to show how much JP knows. :naw:

mj23afr15

I assume we're talking front? Pretty straight swap with basic hand tools. How did you get a jk with a Dana 35?

Edit: Title says rear. So you have a rear 35? That's a new one...

Nope my rear is D35 and front d30. Yes I know many ppl still think it's a myth. Sorry for lat response broke my phone lol.

mj23afr15

You will need to regear the axle to match the front ratio. I would assume you can't do that and neither can I or most other people. If it wasn't for that the swap would be pretty easy

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well my front is a D30 with 4.10. The rear one I purchased is a D44 3.73. I am planning on ordering a carrier for 4.10 with new spider gears but I would like input on which brand or what type of gears I should upgrade to. I am think since I am upgrading to D44 might as well go 5.13 with locker but not too sure.

mj23afr15

The axle should just bolt right up. That's the easy part. You will NOT be able to use the gears in your Dana 35 on your new 44. If it were me, I would use the opportunity to have a locker installed as there would be no extra labor involved and can be done at the same time as your re-gear. You can always remove your front drive shaft and drive around in 2WD until you can do this.

Yup, this. VENGEANCE came with a factory Dana 35 rear axle.

Just goes to show how much JP knows. :naw:

What ratio and brand would you recommend for me to go? I am still Konrad new to upgrades since the only upgrades I have done is the spider gears and well both times they have broken lol I would appreciate any input. Sorry for late response broke my phone and had to wait for new one lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What ratio and brand would you recommend for me to go? I am still Konrad new to upgrades since the only upgrades I have done is the spider gears and well both times they have broken lol I would appreciate any input. Sorry for late response broke my phone and had to wait for new one lol

Assuming you're still going to be running a Dana 30 front axle, I personally would not run anything more than a 4.88. As far as brands go, they are all made by the same company in South Korea only packaged in different boxes.

mj23afr15

Assuming you're still going to be running a Dana 30 front axle, I personally would not run anything more than a 4.88. As far as brands go, they are all made by the same company in South Korea only packaged in different boxes.

Yes I will be using the D30 but I was thinking about removing front DS and just running with out it till I can afford a front d44 ( hopefully 2 months from feb) I would like to just go to a 4.88 locked front and rear. I found Auburn lockers which to me same like a good deal. ($995) each. What is the biggest differences between air locker and not air? For off roading? I live in Texas mostly desert some forest. But I'm not too sure which way to go

mj23afr15

Well I got my d44 with 3.73 gears today. Now I am debating weather to install the D44 or wait and save for an eaton locker to put in place. Decisions. Any feed back is appreciated

Top Bottom