Vacationing to Sturgis

Battle Born JK

My wife and I are planning a vacation late May to Sturgis South Dakota for a week we want to go see Mt Rushmore black hills ect. Itll be our first time there. Looking to hook up with some people and see the back country that South Dakota has to offer

RSQCON

The Black Hiils is beautiful. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are a must. I would highly suggest you plan to arrive at Rushmore mid afternoon so that you can stay for the lighting ceremony. Also check the Crazy Horse website to see if they be doing any blasting while you are in town. I don't have much nice to say about Sturgis but Deadwood is a great place and only a short drive from Sturgis and the monuments. Tons of awesome RV parks in and around the Hiils.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Yes a week sound be enough to explore and see what you want. I'm sure there is some great off-roading there as they have some pretty steep grades but I've always stayed on the pavement

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Battle Born JK

Were coming from Nv wife wants to go to sd and see family see the land marks and see yhe back country for a few days then stop by yellowstone for a few days then head back to Nv

R

RockyMtnAnvil

A week should be plenty. Having spent a lot of time in the area over the years on the motorcycle, some of the must sees are Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park (particularly the Wildlife Loop). The roads are great whether on a bike or in a Jeep... Needles Highway and Iron Mt. Road are awesome! If you have time, Devil's Tower in Wyoming isn't all that far away and worth the drive.

This past fall for the first time I spent a couple days wheeling in the Black Hills... Hal John's is an excellent trail if your looking for something difficult, they also have what they refer to as the "cereal trails" made up of Got Milk?, Fruity Pebbles, and some others. I was hard pressed to find guide books, etc., but the clubs up there were more than helpful and willing to get you pointed in the right direction.

You'll have a blast! :biggrinbounce: Remember to post up some pictures.

Be prepared for weather. We went last May and one week it was nearly 70 degrees then mid 20's and snowing the next. Also depending on snow half or more of Yellowstone may still be closed that time of year.
Take plenty of pictures and enjoy.

Top Bottom