Painless Trail Rocker for Sport Cage is here!

jeeeep

Hooked
RockerPanel_s.jpg end of last year I inquired about buying a Trail Rocker but wanted to mount it up out of the way, I was informed that a new mounting system was in development and it's here!

Benefit to being close to their shop, I got an email last week that the new mounting system was here, so a quick order and I was able to pick it up and get it installed today.

Those of you wanting to install, if you haven't installed your sport cage yet, get the trail rocker installed 1st. If you already have it installed, I recommend removing the driver side support to make it easier to run the wiring.

Spent a long time trying to fish it through behind the dash but ended up running it behind then down the side where the RockHard support won't pinch it. I'm now thinking it may have been faster to remove the support.

I like how it looks - also got the winch rocker switch controller :thumb:

here are some photos, I'm not very good at taking photos during the process only because it slows things down a lot so my hats off to all those of you that photograph the steps on your installs :thumb:

I went with the 6 rocker panel, an 8 rocker panel will fit too.
the ARB switch is actually for my ARB fridge but I just realized it lights up and I need to switch that rocker to a non-lighting rocker because when I'm using the fridge I will leave it plugged in overnight and dont' want any extra power draw.

View attachment 239333

wiring is slick as hell, plenty of wire in the harness, i'll need to add more items since I have the room
wiring_2s.jpg

wiring_1s.jpg

Thanks again to Painless for dealing with me, glad I waited for the new mount to be made available and I didn't have to modify my PSC reservoir location :rock:

Last edited:
I have been looking at painless for my switch set up...them and switchpros. Is there interference with the normal set up and the psc res? I have psc, so just looking weighing my options here.

edit: nevermind, i see where your psc res is located in your picture. mine is near the front of the hood, so no interference should be had.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have been looking at painless for my switch set up...them and switchpros. Is there interference with the normal set up and the psc res? I have psc, so just looking weighing my options here.

edit: nevermind, i see where your psc res is located in your picture. mine is near the front of the hood, so no interference should be had.

I had the switch pro and sold it because with the stereo wiring and the PSC there was no place to mount the switch-pro panel.

the Trail Rocker bracket allowed me to keep everything tucked where it was.

I had the switch pro and sold it because with the stereo wiring and the PSC there was no place to mount the switch-pro panel.

the Trail Rocker bracket allowed me to keep everything tucked where it was.

got it, thanks. i should be able to mount whatever i end up getting in the same location as yours is currently. if there wasn't a mounting issue, would you have kept your switchpros?

jeeeep

Hooked
got it, thanks. i should be able to mount whatever i end up getting in the same location as yours is currently. if there wasn't a mounting issue, would you have kept your switchpros?

I don't think so, after I received it I didn't care for the touch micro-switches and panel not being able to be repaired easily it at all - ended up sitting on my shelf for several months debating over it.

then when I looked over the install and all the hassles to make it work with my setup it was a no-go.

I like the rocker switches and seeing as they carry standard relays and rocker that can be picked up pretty much anywhere changed my mind. also like the winch control in-cab

I don't think so, after I received it I didn't care for the touch micro-switches and panel not being able to be repaired easily it at all - ended up sitting on my shelf for several months debating over it.

then when I looked over the install and all the hassles to make it work with my setup it was a no-go.

I like the rocker switches and seeing as they carry standard relays and rocker that can be picked up pretty much anywhere changed my mind. also like the winch control in-cab

I already have a switch system in play (it's daystar, but it works just fine). I'm just looking for a wiring system to clean everything up under the hood...currently, all of my aux stuff is going straight to battery. That said, is there anything you would prefer rocker over switchpros on? Or is it really just the switch panels themselves that sold you?

jeeeep

Hooked
I already have a switch system in play (it's daystar, but it works just fine). I'm just looking for a wiring system to clean everything up under the hood...currently, all of my aux stuff is going straight to battery. That said, is there anything you would prefer rocker over switchpros on? Or is it really just the switch panels themselves that sold you?

the replaceable relays and rocker switches, Trail rocker uses a 200 Amp fuse, Switch Pro uses a 100 Amp. I'm old school and like to be able to repair things like this when they fail.

I think Painless also offers a kit without the switches so you can use it with any system. Not sure if switch-pro will communicate with a rocker switch.

my big plus was it's made locally = made in the USA

the replaceable relays and rocker switches, Trail rocker uses a 200 Amp fuse, Switch Pro uses a 100 Amp. I'm old school and like to be able to repair things like this when they fail.

I think Painless also offers a kit without the switches so you can use it with any system. Not sure if switch-pro will communicate with a rocker switch.

my big plus was it's made locally = made in the USA

Yea, i was looking at the painless kit without the switches. As well as the same kit with switchpro. Being made in the USA is a huge plus, and I assumed switchpros was as well. If they're not, that's a biggie. Thanks man, appreciate your feedback. I think I'm leaning painless switch-less kit now.

Stick

Does it mount to the sport cage directly? And is that the only location to mount it?

I have (the hated) Spod mounted there and then some additional switches on my A pillar that I will have to remove once I install the sport cage. I've looked at there system in the past but haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to purchase yet.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yea, i was looking at the painless kit without the switches. As well as the same kit with switchpro. Being made in the USA is a huge plus, and I assumed switchpros was as well. If they're not, that's a biggie. Thanks man, appreciate your feedback. I think I'm leaning painless switch-less kit now.

I use the switch pros, and think it's top notch. It's very low profile and can be mounted anywhere, wiring is also very simple. Customer service is incredible to work with if you have questions. The painless system is nice also, I just think the switch pros is more sleek

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Does it mount to the sport cage directly? And is that the only location to mount it?

I have (the hated) Spod mounted there and then some additional switches on my A pillar that I will have to remove once I install the sport cage. I've looked at there system in the past but haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to purchase yet.

The kit he has is our JK overhead mount, so it mounts up above the mirror where the latch for the top clips. We were able to confirm, however, that the switch panel mounts with plenty of room for clearance for the sport cage.

We have options for both auto-dimming or non-auto-dimming mirror JK's in the overhead panel, along with the lower dash panel and a kit without switches.

jeeeep

Hooked

I have the top mount that gets mounted to the footman loop.

It does have an indent in the back of the housing and u-bolt mounting holes so it can be mounted direct to the cage tubing.

I know the 4 panel switch has the ability to interconnect and stack them not sure if the 6 and 8 panels have the same feature.

Give Painless a call, they were very helpful through the whole process

Last edited:
Top Bottom