JKU Rear seat recline kit install

OhNoTheJiggies

So I haven't done one of these before, but took lots of pictures :photo: and hopefully this can help someone out a little.

I bought this kit off amazon for $27 because when my kids would fall asleep in the back seat, their heads would hang forward, and this seems to help. Plus when adults sit back there, it will make it a little more comfy for them too.

So this is on my 13 JKUR 10a, I'm pretty sure its the same for all 11 and up JKUs. Probably very similar if not the same for the 07-10 too.

ODP.jpg

What you will need...
-Recline kit from ama-zon or elsewhere
-Breaker bar
-Ratchet
-18mm socket
-19mm socket
-Channel locks/vise grips
-Torque wrench(56 Ft. Lbs.)

Before(took the picture with the camera up against the hard top so that it was in the same place for before and after.)
ABC.jpg

After
After.jpg

Step 1:
Loosen the 3 18mm bolts/nuts(middle one is a bolt, two outside ones are nuts) several turns. I backed mine off almost all the way.
IMG_2990.jpg

Step 2:
Using an 18mm socket and a breaker bar, break the torque on the 4 bolts that attach the legs of the seat to the tub. Then use a ratchet to remove them the rest of the way.
IMG_2991.jpg

Bolts removed from drivers side
IMG_2992.jpg

Step 3:
Once the 4 front leg bolts are removed, lift up the seat bottoms and you can use a bungee or ratchet strap to hold the seat bottom up while you work on the next part.
IMG_3003.jpg

I used the seat belts and just pulled them over each outside leg and locked them back.
IMG_3006.jpg

Step 4:
Loosen and remove the 3 bolts that attach the seat to where the tub slants up toward the cargo compartment.
Drivers side
Driversside.jpg

Passenger side
passengersside.jpg

Step 5:
Starting with the bolts that you removed in step 4, pull on each leg up and toward the front of the jeep. While doing this, slide the slimmer, square spacers between the leg and the tub. These square spacers can go in any way, as they are drilled right in the middle.

Said spacer next to the place it goes(almost blends with carpet lol)
IMG_3005.jpg

Spacer slid between leg and tub
IMG_3008.jpg

Spacer and bolt before torquing down
IMG_3012.jpg

Step 6:
Torque down the 3 bolts on the underside on the seat to 56 ft. lbs.. I felt that I wouldn't have enough room to torque the bolts if I put the seat down first, so I did this first. You might be able to torque everything down at the end, but I didn't.
IMG_3013.jpg

Step 7:
Remove you ratchet strap or seat belts and lay the seat bottom down. The legs swing forward and back, so line them up and place a rectangular spacer under each leg. The spacers should be oriented to keep as much of the leg surface contacting the spacer. The new bolts are 19mm heads.

Seat down(picture was taken after installing bolts, but you get the picture :bleh: )
IMG_3018.jpg

Spacers in place with new bolts and washers
IMG_3014.jpg

Seat leg in place and bolt about to be tightened
IMG_3017.jpg

Step 8:
Torque down all 4 (19mm) front leg bolts and the 3 (18mm) behind the seat in the cargo compartment to 56 ft. lbs. This is where I used the channel locks. When torquing the bolts down, the legs had a tendency to twist, so I grabbed them and held them in place with a pair of channel locks while getting the 56 ft. lbs. You can see a little bit of twist on the leg at the bottom of this picture, too.
IMG_3021.jpg

Step 9:
Clean up tools and you're done!
Have a :beer:

Last edited:

Jkratt

Great write up. I did this in my jeep after my licensed kids made me sit in the backseat after too many beers. The rear seat is the most uncomfortable seat in the house. This definitely improves comfort and reduces complaints. Now I just drive, but the backseat is way more comfortable. This is a definite upgrade if you haul other people.

Ddays

Hooked
Oh, man....I'm glad my kids will never see this post. We drove to Moab & back and boy did they bitch about the back seat! I'm going to order this kit - thanks for posting!

dirtdonthurt

I see they make an aluminum kit as well as the Delrin plastic. I haven't looked at the seat frame but does this change and structural or safety aspect of the seats? Most of the time my kids are with me and that's my main concern. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlesC

I did this also, kids where pissed I didn't do it years ago[emoji2]. Bolts in step 4 where a Biiiiatch! Need a breaker bar for sure🥃. Good job on the write up OP!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I see they make an aluminum kit as well as the Delrin plastic. I haven't looked at the seat frame but does this change and structural or safety aspect of the seats? Most of the time my kids are with me and that's my main concern. Thx

I would think the seatbelts would work a little better in keeping people from sliding under the lap belt being that its more inclined with the spacers.

Awesome, thanks for the write up. I've seen this kit for a while and definitely something I'll do at some point...especially when we have children :doh:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Just installed this kit myself. Agreed that the bolts in step four sucked! :D I wish I could've just zipped them out with an impact wrench. Anyway, my wife was first to sit back there after the install and said it definitely makes a difference. The real test will be the ~5 hr drive to Pittsburgh next month.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
We did ours after summer vacation and back seat passengers complained about the seats. After installing this kit, I had them ride in the back seat again and they said ot was much better. Excellent mod, especially for the price

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Will the seats still fold back "essentially flat"? It seems they will tilt up in the front end due to the added height from the spacers.

I just want to ensure this isn't a problem. I like to put the seats down from time to time to expand the cargo area or to carry my ARB fridge.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

CharlesC

Will the seats still fold back "essentially flat"? It seems they will tilt up in the front end due to the added height from the spacers.

I just want to ensure this isn't a problem. I like to put the seats down from time to time to expand the cargo area or to carry my ARB fridge.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Mine seems to lay flat, no problem-[emoji106]

Lil Nasty

I did this last year for the wives when we go out in the jeep. I also installed the plate under the middle of the rear seat so you don't sink in when sitting in the middle.

Stick

I've had this kit for a year now and haven't finished the install because of the bolts in Step 4. I've since installed a Dirty Dog net and trench cover over the back seat for my dog so now it's not a priority.

CharlesC

I've had this kit for a year now and haven't finished the install because of the bolts in Step 4. I've since installed a Dirty Dog net and trench cover over the back seat for my dog so now it's not a priority.

Breaker bar and a 3" extension to get the breaker bar away from the tub, and as soon as you feel the tendons in your shoulder ready to pull apart it will finally give up🥃

Top Bottom