G2 Axles??

czebley24

I have been looking to upgrade my axles because my spider gears are destroyed on my rear axle. I want to go up to a dana 44 so I was looking at the dynatrac Trail Series 44, the Pro Rock 44 and the G2 44? I have never heard of G2 but they are like half the price of the Dynatrac. I am not a hard core off roader but I have 35" tires and I do plan to off road. What are the advantages of having dynatrac over G2? Are there any reasons why I shouldn't go with the G2?

onetanjk

I waiting for g2, heard won't be available for jk until April at the earliest. Price not determined yet. If anyone know anything please chime in.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're just looking to upgrade your axles and don't do much of the hard stuff, you might be better served picking up a set of used 44 axles. They'd be way cheaper than getting new and would do what you're hoping for. Otherwise, the new G2's are made in China like the TF axles if that matters to you. Dynatrac is the only one made 100% in the USA. And, when it comes to front axles, there's nothing out there that can even come close to what you get with a Pro Rock 44. But then, it's probably more than what you're looking for.

TacPen

Banned
when it comes to front axles, there's nothing out there that can even come close to what you get with a Pro Rock 44.

This may be a good time to ask then, what makes the PR44 better? I've only heard good things about them but haven't seen a side by side with the Currie Rock Jock, TeraFlex (they just sell a housing, right?) or upcoming G2.

I've got a D30 myself and am torn between building, (already sleeved and gusseted) it up with RCV axles and a front locker (which may be 'good enough' for me and my 35's) or considering a D44 swap of some kind.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have been looking to upgrade my axles because my spider gears are destroyed on my rear axle. I want to go up to a dana 44 so I was looking at the dynatrac Trail Series 44, the Pro Rock 44 and the G2 44? I have never heard of G2 but they are like half the price of the Dynatrac. I am not a hard core off roader but I have 35" tires and I do plan to off road. What are the advantages of having dynatrac over G2? Are there any reasons why I shouldn't go with the G2?

1/2 the price doesn't tell you anything?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This may be a good time to ask then, what makes the PR44 better? I've only heard good things about them but haven't seen a side by side with the Currie Rock Jock, TeraFlex (they just sell a housing, right?) or upcoming G2.

I've got a D30 myself and am torn between building, (already sleeved and gusseted) it up with RCV axles and a front locker (which may be 'good enough' for me and my 35's) or considering a D44 swap of some kind.

The Pro Rock 44 is the only 44 front axle that comes with a profiled differential housing that provides the greatest amount of ground clearance and 3" diameter tubes with 5/16" thick walls. It also has super beefy end forgings and mounts. The Unlimited version comes with super thick 1/2" walls and +6° of built in caster. Of course, these are made 100% in the USA.

The TF axle is beefier than stock and comes with 3.25" tubes but, only .25" thick walls. They are also manufactured in China but assembled here. The G2's are Chinese made too and, at least according to their website, not much else is known about it. To the best of my knowledge, Currie only makes a 60.

LOL!!

Hightower

Yes it does, that Walmart is finally servicing the off road market! Lol.

I've got pr60 and have had zero trouble with them, they came as ordered and when I had a question the call did not require an international operator.
Good luck

czebley24

Thanks for the info! I am going to unlimited offroad today to get some info and hopefully get the jeep back on the road!

Hightower

But you called America, isn't that an international call for you? :crazyeyes:

It only requires a 1 to call you yanks. the first and last time I called China it took the entire IT department atNASA to make the call happen and it was about a warranty issue. ;-(

JAGS

Hooked
The Pro Rock 44 is the only 44 front axle that comes with a profiled differential housing that provides the greatest amount of ground clearance and 3" diameter tubes with 5/16" thick walls. It also has super beefy end forgings and mounts. The Unlimited version comes with super thick 1/2" walls and +6° of built in caster. Of course, these are made 100% in the USA.

That +6 of caster is going to do what exactly. :crazyeyes: Help with on-road geometry/performance, or serve other purpose?? Just curious as i'm honestly still learning about all the moving parts my jeep has.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No I was at the hotel in Vegas. Lol

Yeah, but the guys at Dynatrac still speak English :D

That +6 of caster is going to do what exactly. :crazyeyes: Help with on-road geometry/performance, or serve other purpose?? Just curious as i'm honestly still learning about all the moving parts my jeep has.

It'll help to keep your steering feeling nice and tight even at highway speeds and without having to add more angle to your front drive shaft risking vibrations.

TacPen

Banned
The made in USA means a lot to me since I work hard to keep all of my production (unrelated industry) in the USA as well.

So at what point should I consider moving form a strengthened D30 to a D44 and then what would push me to consider a PR44? (ie. any rule of thumb saying a D44 is fine for 35"s but if you want 37"s you should consider a PR44 or something like this?)

Atch

The made in USA means a lot to me since I work hard to keep all of my production (unrelated industry) in the USA as well.

So at what point should I consider moving form a strengthened D30 to a D44 and then what would push me to consider a PR44? (ie. any rule of thumb saying a D44 is fine for 35"s but if you want 37"s you should consider a PR44 or something like this?)

If you're going to upgrade I'd bypass the 44 & get a prorock 44. Pr44 has better clearance & stronger than the D44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you're wanting to run a front locker and play hard on 35's-37's, I would definitely upgrade to a PR44. If you're wanting to spend any money on a Dana 30 for whatever reason, I would save your money and get a PR44. There is no point in beefing up a D30 or, at least, I wouldn't.

czebley24

So I went to Unlimited Offroad today (local jeep shop) and they have a used dana 44 with an ARB locker in it! And a 4.56 gear ratio. It's $2500 dollars for it! it is in great condition too! Now to think about regearing my D30 or upgrading to a 44 in the front. I'm 17 so 2500 dollars is already a lot...

Top Bottom