Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Day off Adventure - Exploring the Remains of Dawson Forest

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    That was cool! You may need a Geiger counter, too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Very cool! Air Force and Army never did well with nuclear power. Three people died in the SL-1 accident.

Troncalli Jeep Representative longarmwj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BABOOZLE View Post
    Very cool! Air Force and Army never did well with nuclear power. Three people died in the SL-1 accident.

The project went on for quite a while here. In fact my aunts grandfather worked there. He passed away in the 80s before I was born but I would love to have been able to ask him what some of that stuff was really used for. They never really achieved much of anything if I remember correctly. They basically just made a bunch of radioactive land to hunt on lol

Captain Imachurity
    "Jebidiah" 2003 WJ with some stuff. Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread

Knows a Thing or Two boardsurfer's Avatar
    Excellent! Thanks for the story and pics
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmobeeler View Post
    Rare doesn't make it desirable. It's rare that I shit my pants, but when I do it's usually not desirable. Lol.

Pretty cool. There is a lot of air force history here on the eglin air force base reservation. I have found grave sites dated back to 1850. With legible names. Settlers from Europe. Lots of old testing sites and concrete foundations. It is also home of the doolittle raiders in ww2. Great adventure.

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

Troncalli Jeep Representative longarmwj's Avatar

Day off Adventure - Exploring the Remains of Dawson Forest

So I had a chance to go back up there today. The road was opened!! Here's what I found.

The road that I was going down today used to be a railroad track. They had a train that would take the irradiated material to a "cool down" bunker way back in the woods. This bridge is the only thing that remains from the old railway.
    IMG_0243.jpg

Directly off to the left is where the water pump station was. This is one of the few places in Dawson Forest that you can still go into.
    IMG_0244.jpg
    Looking down into where the actual water pipe would be. Interestingly enough most of the tube they used was square tube.
    IMG_0245.jpg
    The front of the pump where they had a small landing. The height factor did not set well with me on this on lol.
    IMG_0247.jpg
    Looking into the actual pump room.
    IMG_0248.jpg
    Looking back down the road that used to be the railroad track.
    IMG_0249.jpg

Now along this road was supposed to be a second reactor. They began construction on it but all that remains are some holes in the ground for the foundation which I wasn't able to actually find. They axed the project when they deemed that the project was a failure. Now as I mentioned last week, everything is connected through a series of tunnels, and well, I found one of those tunnels. This one I'm not sure where it goes to. I didn't have a flash light or pistol with me so I didn't go into it.
    IMG_0251.jpg
    The exit of another tunnel near the second reactor site.
    IMG_0250.jpg

Now to find the cool down area. This is where they took the nuclear waste to kind of return itself to normal. It took some driving to find it, but I finally found it. The road to get there provided a challenge to the WK2 in a couple of spots.
    IMG_0254.jpg

I finally found it though. The material was buried underneath the ground in a capsule. It's a small area and they only took certain amounts at a time there. The entrance was nowhere to be found but note how nothing grows in this area at all, except for grass, which is shockingly green especially to be middle of winter.
    IMG_0256.jpg

There's part two that I promised people!! I'm also changing the name of the thread (when I get to a computer), and hoping to make this my own personal North Georgia Exploration log to share with y'all as I uncover more history and hidden gems!

Captain Imachurity
    "Jebidiah" 2003 WJ with some stuff. Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    So I had a chance to go back up there today.
    I missed this story the first time around, so I'm really glad that I caught it this time! I really enjoyed the pictures too! That's what I call living the Wayalife! Thanks for sharing!

Look forward to seeing more stories like these!

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great pics and story behind the adventure!
    October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JKS
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assist

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast