Replacing joints on rock krawler arms.

Learo2000GT

Good Afternoon.
So I bought some new joints for my RK lift that are upgraded joints. Should I put antiseize on the threads going back into the arms? Any thing else that is recommended. Thanks mucho.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

Absolutely you should. I try to put it on any bear, unpainted metal thread. Especially threads that WILL get water on and in them.

Learo2000GT

I am upgrading the control arm joints to the pro krawler joint and the track bar to the antiwobble and replacing the bushings. IMG_5435.JPG IMG_5436.JPG IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5437.JPG

Anyone have tips for locking down the jam nuts? It's been awhile for me and my vise is out of commission.

Ddays

Hooked
I am upgrading the control arm joints to the pro krawler joint and the track bar to the antiwobble and replacing the bushings. View attachment 239841 View attachment 239842 View attachment 239843 View attachment 239844

Anyone have tips for locking down the jam nuts? It's been awhile for me and my vise is out of commission.

Someone made a damn nice jig for that and I never seem to remember who it was right away. If I come across it I will post a link..

Edit: Here it is. Post #11 http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?37849-Rock-Krawler-3-5-Flex-Install-Issues/page2

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Definitely antiseize them. Someone recently here had a track bar one that took him like 3 days to get off. Then the threads were damaged on the way out.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
How much did those replacement joints cost? I don't need to replace mine yet, but I will in the future.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Tighten the jam nut after you get the other end installed to the frame. On the right side you can put a jack stand under the control arm to raise it up so you can get some good leverage, by pulling down with a big crescent wrench

zimm

Caught the Bug
The instructions from RK say to use red locktite and when you get the length right hit the jam nut as tight as you can with a big adjustable. Spec is 250 ft/lbs, but you can't measure that. Then good luck doing all that and ending up with your joint vertical. That's why I hate RK arms and would go EVO or JKS if I did it again.

Learo2000GT

Thanks for all the help. I am woundering if I could have screwed up my track bar. I was removing the axel side joint and forgot I had put red lock tight on the jam nuts so I was lossening the jam nut and the jam nut along with the joint started to turn. I am on my way to pick up some propane for my torch. But will the threads of the arm be fubared? Thanks again.

Learo2000GT

Let me clarify above. I should of said the arm turns with the lock nut and not sure if that cam screw up the inner threads of the arm. I put the joint in a vise and went to lossen lock nut and the nut along with the arm was turning. Not sure if that cam cause a safety issue when reinstalling. Thanks.

Top Bottom