Holy crap- do EVO springs "settle in"? 3" plush ride netted 5" over my RK 2.5" kit.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Holy crap- do EVO springs "settle in"? 3" plush ride netted 5" over my RK 2.5" kit.

I just got the front 3" plush rides installed that are replacing rock crawler 2.5's. I also put in a 1/2" spacer on top, hoping for an inch over what I had. Instead I'm up 5" over what it was sitting at before! 39" to 44" to fender lip. Will they settle in an inch or so? Already I'm thinking about pulling the 1/2" spacer, but it's so much work.

I'm about to tackle the rear springs, and now I'm second guessing leaving the 1" teraflex spacers back there.

Here's the springs side by side. I had to look up the serial number to make sure they were 3".

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q9rwvb]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q9rwGU]

benatc1

Hooked
mine settled a bit after a few days, not sure exactly how much but i remember when i installed them on my 2 door they were about 5".. you dont think you accidentally received 4" ones do you??

zimm

Caught the Bug
Well I checked the serial number on them and they are listed at 3", same as the box. If they'll settle in a couple inches, I'm great. If I put in the rears without the spacers, I'm signing myself up for having to pull the fronts again to get the 1/2" spacer out. Argh.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Well the rears are going in. I'm going to leave the 1" spacers, which should help me out with the heavy rear bumper (ACE), towing my camper, etc. I figure I'll drive for a few weeks and if it's still too tall, then I can worry about pulling the spacers later.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Change of plans, I couldn't get the rear springs in with the 1" spacer. I'm not he-man enough. So it's going in as is and I'll have to pull the front spacers out.

WJCO

Meme King
Change of plans, I couldn't get the rear springs in with the 1" spacer. I'm not he-man enough. So it's going in as is and I'll have to pull the front spacers out.

Did you disconnect sway bar, shocks, and one end of the track bar? An inch more should have allowed enough room. You can also jack up the opposite side of the axle.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yup everything was disconnected and I couldn't compress the spring enough. Oh well. I got the rears in and now the front has settled down to 41" to the fender lip. Talk about dropping quick. I'm done for the day, but tomorrow I'll pop out those 1/2" front spacers and should be good to go.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You can't go by the length of the coils compared to each other for lift height. Coil ratings, spirals all factor in for ride height. It doesn't go by just the length

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Buddy had a 2.5" RK lift on his two door. Tried to make it up a ledge and fell back down. His bumper caught the ledge and the axle dropped out and then the jeep came off the ledge landing on the suspension. Freak accident but his links were short with the sway bar angled down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I have the 1/2" spacers in front, none in rear. I'm sitting just about level- 41" ground to fender lip front and back. I'd rather have it level when I'm loaded up with the ARB fridge and off-road gear. My camper is also 400 pounds of tongue weight, so I don't want it squatting like crazy when towing. However, I'm thinking maybe the 1" spacer is too extreme. Maybe I should get a 1/2" rear spacer? Or suck it up and remove the front one, although I really like how the front is sitting now and I have 5" of up travel.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have you tried measuring like the below diagram to see just how must lift you gained over stock?

IMG_0222.JPG

JKbrick

23". So 4.5". I'm sure it'll settle more after I drive it. Heck it settled 3" in 3 hours. Wonder what it will look like tomorrow.

Settled 3" in 3 hours? Wow! The 2" EVO coils gave me 3" when I put them on a few weeks ago, I'll have to measure it again. Were your control arms and track bar bolts loose so everything could seat in then you tightened it back up?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom