Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.6L Oil Filter/Cooler Adaptor Housing Replacement

Been Around the Block Heavyhaul07's Avatar
    Nice right up. I'd like to make a suggestion as to replace your spark plugs if you do this job your self. As to do plugs you need to remove the upper intake again to replace your plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block ProtocolJK's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up. It really helped today when I replaced mine.

3.6L Oil Filter/Cooler Adaptor Housing Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil View Post
    Good information. I did not know there was a difference until I looked. After looking at filters, there is a difference. I have read owners having problems with something breaking and falling down into the house while taking the filter out. Maybe that is why they changed the filter design. Other then that, I don't think there are anymore OR less leaks between the design. I have read a lot of 14 and new 3.6L having the dreaded oil cooler leak. The 2014-newer model Oil cooler adaptor part number is #68105583-AE. I will update my write up.

Below is a 2011-2013 engine oil filter.

Attachment 240457

And this is a 2014-2016 engine oil filter.

Attachment 240458

This is what broke on mine replacing the filter on a ‘13. Lesson learned. Not for sure if it was broke installing or taking the old filter out. Had to replace the oil cooler, no fix for just the retainer and spring, only option is replacement. My eyelids are thicker than the plastic used for the retainer spring. Any way, so far no leaks🤞

Also,great write up man
    IMG_1051.JPG

Last edited by CharlesC; 03-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtocolJK View Post
    Thanks for the write up. It really helped today when I replaced mine.

Your welcome glad it could help.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
    This is what broke on mine replacing the filter on a ‘13. Lesson learned. Not for sure if it was broke installing or taking the old filter out. Had to replace the oil cooler, no fix for just the retainer and spring, only option is replacement. My eyelids are thicker than the plastic used for the retainer spring. Any way, so far no leaks🤞IMG_1051.JPG

I believe you can replace it with a later JK oil cooler, as they changed the filter design because of that problem.

I believe you can replace it with a later JK oil cooler, as they changed the filter design because of that problem.

Yes, you can replace it with a newer oil cooler design. I replaced the cooler on my ‘12 with one that uses the newer filter design and so far no issues.

Yes, you can replace it with a newer oil cooler design. I replaced the cooler on my ‘12 with one that uses the newer filter design and so far no issues.
    I should have done that but didn’t figure that out until it was too late. Oh well.

I should have done that but didn’t figure that out until it was too late. Oh well.

If the spring and retainer breaks again, you can get just the spring and retainer. Here’s a link to the parts.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-99.../dp/B01MXJ6HH3

If the spring and retainer breaks again, you can get just the spring and retainer. Here’s a link to the parts.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-99.../dp/B01MXJ6HH3
    Son of A ! I don’t think this was available when mine broke, I want to say it happened in late 2014 or so. Or at least, I’m telling myself it wasn’t available. Damn it, that would have made it so much easier! Good to know man

Last edited by CharlesC; 03-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Fresh Catch
    So identified that i'm leaking coolant from oil cooler or rear hose, or both, and am set to replace the cooler, hoses and spark plugs on my 2012 JKUR this weekend. I ordered an oil cooler on amazon and it arrived yesterday. It's part # 68105583AF, which is for the 2014-2016 JKs. But this thread seems to indicate that it will work on mine as long as I use the 2014+ oil filters. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Mike

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast