Need advice on wobble

Reynard

Hi guys

OK so I had AEV geometry brackets fitted to my JK. I broke the left hand bracket in 2 pieces. I have removed them and mounted my factory arms back into the factory mountings. I run a 3" Synergy lift with JKS Trackbar etc. If I now drive at between 40 and 50 mph I get a lot of steering feedback, its not a death wobble as it disappears in about 5 seconds or when I hit a big bump in the road. I had the wheels balanced and alignment was done. Any ideas?

I'm going to follow Eddie's write-up on the death wobble.

Regards

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It reads like you are experiencing bump steer caused by your front geometry being off.

Getting some adjustable front Lower control arms would be the thing I would do after I checked your caster to see where it is at.

If you can't afford LCAs right now, Rancho makes properly boxed control arm brackets and they will last you a lot longer than the AEV ones.

Edit: use this thread to check your caster.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=3861

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As ty said it sounds more like bump steer. Get some front lower adjustable arms to get your caster set again and you will be good to go

WJCO

Meme King
I would either do a string test on your drag link and track bar to see if they're parallel. You can do the same thing by taking a picture showing both bars, then on your computer draw a line from pivot point to pivot point. If they aren't as parallel to each other as possible, you are going to get a symptom like that. You'll get better handling with them as close to parallel to the ground as possible as well.

Checking caster wouldn't be a bad idea either as the others said being you've ditched the drop brackets and are now having this symptom.

I had massive bump steer from my steering angles not being parallel and also being very steep.

Here's a before shot, lower track bar needs to come up an inch and both bars are really steep:

DSC03752.jpg

Here's after and problem is fixed:

0109171530.jpg

Here's a recent thread that may help as well if your steering geometry ends up being the problem:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?42462-Wrangler-JK-Steering

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys

OK so I had AEV geometry brackets fitted to my JK. I broke the left hand bracket in 2 pieces. I have removed them and mounted my factory arms back into the factory mountings. I run a 3" Synergy lift with JKS Trackbar etc. If I now drive at between 40 and 50 mph I get a lot of steering feedback, its not a death wobble as it disappears in about 5 seconds or when I hit a big bump in the road. I had the wheels balanced and alignment was done. Any ideas?

I'm going to follow Eddie's write-up on the death wobble.

Regards

Any chance you could post up a photo of your broken bracket?

As others have stated, it kind of sounds like you've got some bump steer going on. If it's possible, please post up a photo of what your front end looks like - track bar and drag link.

Reynard

Thanks for all the advice. Will take some photos in the morning, it is raining cats and dogs outside. Here is photos from the bracket that failed, sorry for the quality.

I went through Eddie's guide and all seems fine, everything is still tight and secure.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 74

HogBlock

A friend of mine had this happen to him as well. We took the bracket, welded it back together, ground it smooth and then traced the bracket on some 3/16 plate and made the bracket thicker. 6 months and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom