Rockhard 4x4 Sport Cage Install Without Cutting Roll Bar Padding

Thunder

IMG_0873.jpg

For anyone considering installing the RockHard 4x4 Sport Cage in the future, installing the top front windshield bar through the factory roll bar padding can be achieved using additional zipper pulls as an alternative to cutting holes.

The RockHard4x4 instructions call for cutting holes in the factory roll bar padding for the top front bar to go through. This is fine to do and many have done it. It's easy to do, looks clean, and you will probably be cutting more holes in your padding eventually if you haven't already.

The only advantage I can see to using additional zipper pulls over cutting would be the ability to remove the padding without having to remove the RockHard bar. Which is something you'd likely never need to do anyways.

The factory zipper pulls on the roll bar padding are locking sliders. Which means they hold their position and shouldn't work their way opened.

You can remove the zipper stops (look kind of like staples) on the padding (the end towards the back of the Jeep by the sound bar - not the front by the windshield) with a small flat screwdriver to pry them opened and then slide an additional pull onto the teeth.

If this is a mod you are interested in, the factory zippers are: YKK Slider #5 Coil Black Metal Single Lock Pull.
I found them online for 20 cents each.

IMG_1731.jpg

I've been running mine this way on my 2014 JKU for over a year and never had to adjust the zippers. They haven't worked their way opened in over a year.

I haven't installed the rear overhead bars so don't know if this mod is possible back there.

Top Bottom