This is a joke right?

Jimmypaget

Ok so I'm trying to find a shop to install the EVO tire hinge carrier that I want. Heard good things about this local one so I message the owner and get to talking. He tells me this shit. IMG_4376.jpg IMG_4377.jpg IMG_4378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
What the actual fuck? FIND ANOTHER SHOP!

Edit: This is where context is sometimes lost when texting: Sometimes conversations are better as you can sense intent and the emotional content with actual spoken words.

And seriously, you can do this yourself. All you need is a set of wrenches & an hour or two!

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

What the actual fuck? FIND ANOTHER SHOP!

Edit: This is where context is sometimes lost when texting: Sometimes conversations are better as you can sense intent and the emotional content with actual spoken words.

And seriously, you can do this yourself. All you need is a set of wrenches & an hour or two!

Well I do have some wrenches and I'm sure I can find a couple hours to spare. Might as well do it myself, comes with instructions, cant be that difficult right?

WJCO

Meme King
Do it yourself. You'll be more proud in the longrun. Also if a mistake is made, you'll know about it. Shops hide shit all the time.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Regardless of context, this person is very unprofessional and sounds like a big tool bag. Im sure it is not to hard and can be done by yourself. If you cant or don't have time, definitely find another shop.

Jimmypaget

What, raising the price because of your job. Find another shop or do it yourself. Like Eddie said, what shop is this so we know to never go there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Right?? That was my first red flag when the price went up because of MY job!! Like uhh GTFO dude! It's called Sobe jeep customs or something like that here in Vegas. I do know others who have gone there and had a good time (apparently). Even if he was joking about that, I don't feel that's very funny personally.

Jimmypaget

Do it yourself. You'll be more proud in the longrun. Also if a mistake is made, you'll know about it. Shops hide shit all the time.

I think I will! Since it's coming from EVO, it will come with very clear instructions like the other products I've received from them.

Eugene

This is a risk of getting estimates via text message but, reading that exchange, I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Here's why:

Right around 640
This is a ballpark figure because he says "around 640."

If you were to get it, 650
He's narrowed it down to a specific price and it's still around $640. I could see, however, how it could be misconstrued with "you" implying a different price from "not you." Text message...

720 + tax installed? Plus powder coat if needed
Now the price is the $650 with an additional $70 for installation which equals $720 (excluding tax in all cases).

Not sure if it is powder coated.
So he doesn't recall if the item comes powder coated at the $640 price point. He says he'll follow up and confirm an exact price for the item tomorrow, including whether it's the powder coated variety. It also sounds like the price on the written estimate (which would have avoided some misunderstanding here) could come in lower than what he's suggesting here.

Seems like the problem is he makes a harmless joke about your lucrative (or not, doesn't matter) line of work mixed in among your ballpark estimates, and all over text message without any other social cues.

I could be in the minority but I don't see any malicious intent here. YMMV.

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

This is a risk of getting estimates via text message but, reading that exchange, I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Here's why:

Right around 640
This is a ballpark figure because he says "around 640."

If you were to get it, 650
He's narrowed it down to a specific price and it's still around $640. I could see, however, how it could be misconstrued with "you" implying a different price from "not you." Text message...

720 + tax installed? Plus powder coat if needed
Now the price is the $650 with an additional $70 for installation which equals $720 (excluding tax in all cases).

Not sure if it is powder coated.
So he doesn't recall if the item comes powder coated at the $640 price point. He says he'll follow up and confirm an exact price for the item tomorrow, including whether it's the powder coated variety. It also sounds like the price on the written estimate (which would have avoided some misunderstanding here) could come in lower than what he's suggesting here.

Seems like the problem is he makes a harmless joke about your lucrative (or not, doesn't matter) line of work mixed in among your ballpark estimates, and all over text message without any other social cues.

I could be in the minority but I don't see any malicious intent here. YMMV.

I don't think he was trying to be malicious really, just not a good thing to joke about if you're trying to gain people's respect and business. I just ended up ordering it myself and will also do the install myself. And the powdercoated version is 649.99 period.

Eugene

I don't think he was trying to be malicious really, just not a good thing to joke about if you're trying to gain people's respect and business. I just ended up ordering it myself and will also do the install myself. And the powdercoated version is 649.99 period.

Can't argue that. He isn't going to earn his Professionalism Merit Badge with those comments, or the "just starting out" thing noted earlier. That is not a confidence builder. Can you imagine going to a surgeon and they tell you, "Thanks for coming to my practice. I'm just starting out." :thinking:

:cheesy:

Jimmypaget

Can't argue that. He isn't going to earn his Professionalism Merit Badge with those comments, or the "just starting out" thing noted earlier. That is not a confidence builder. Can you imagine going to a surgeon and they tell you, "Thanks for coming to my practice. I'm just starting out." :thinking:

:cheesy:

Right? Or going to a surgeon and him asking what insurance you have? "Oh you have x insurance? Ok, while we're in there, we'll do some other upgrades for you too because you can afford it!" Like, thanks but no thanks!

trailraider

why cant someone charge a customer more because he makes more?

the government does it. you make more they tax more. why cant private business follow the same rules? :bleh:

(for the record this was sarcasm)

Top Bottom