Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motech swap questions with Gen IV 480hp LS3 crate engine

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscat View Post
    Really good advice right there!

I'm running PR80 rear / XD60 front, 40" tires, 5.38s, 3.8 Atlas. Cruises at 70mph / 2,100 rpm. Runs very strong in the Colorado mountains (live in Durango). Engine is 6.2 LS3 (450hp) with 6L80. Excellent combo in all conditions both on and off road. Very low first gear when technical crawling but strings out well with 6L80.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    How does your set up do with trail riding?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Motech swap questions with Gen IV 480hp LS3 crate engine

Excellent! Great trail rig for the family. Idles around just fine. 6L80 allows everything from crawling to running around in 4WLo.

Knows a Thing or Two nmwranglerx's Avatar

Really good advice right there!

Runs very strong in the Colorado mountains (live in Durango). Engine is 6.2 LS3 (450hp) with 6L80.

This is what I want to hear about. We do a lot of drives up into southern CO and , hell, even good portions of NM where the 3.8 on 37s totally sucks on the freeway because of the elevation and mountain passes. It makes freeway driving in the JK so unpleasant even with 5.13 gears. Have you driven the LS along the million dollar highway up from Durango to Ouray? How does it handle those steep long grades?

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Fresh Catch
    Right now also accumulating the parts to do a ls3 swap, great thread.

I have 2016 Camaro SS 6L80E trans with 137 miles on it sitting the garage. I have also picked up most of the odd and ends for the swap like, CTSV accessory drive, trans cooler, adapter plate, o2 sensors, COM, etc...

Still have to pickup the motor, atlas and the install kit. Next up is the Atlas II transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    This is what I want to hear about. We do a lot of drives up into southern CO and , hell, even good portions of NM where the 3.8 on 37s totally sucks on the freeway because of the elevation and mountain passes. It makes freeway driving in the JK so unpleasant even with 5.13 gears. Have you driven the LS along the million dollar highway up from Durango to Ouray? How does it handle those steep long grades?

Drive it all the time. Live in Durango. LS3/6L80 is a perfect combo for the mountains. The gear spread and propensity to stay in gear and not downshift is the key. 450hp doesn't hurt either.

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar

Excellent! Great trail rig for the family. Idles around just fine. 6L80 allows everything from crawling to running around in 4WLo.

Good to hear. This sounds like the setup I would want. I'm a long way off from a swap but am always keeping my eye out for good deals on things I may need (motor/trans).