Researching before buying

Krazzyk01

Hello all,

I've been poking around in here for a bit now and I'm dying to ask this/these questions.

Preface:

I started doing Jeep Jamboree events with my brother in his 2014 JK Rubicon a year ago and the bug has bit me hard.
I'm normally a road car guy so I've got a ton to learn here. That said, I'm VERY impressed with this website. Best forum I've ever seen to date. Lots of clean knowledge to be had.
I like clean cut answers and that's what I've been seeing for the most part.

I do not have a Jeep yet. That's what this thread is going to help me work out.

Most importantly I have a wife that's on board with this entire idea so in that I'm a very lucky man.

Here's the plan at this point.

Our lease car runs out in one year from now. Once that's up, we'll turn it in and not get anything from there.

The idea is to replace that vehicle with a fun, non daily driver Jeep that we can someday do the Rubicon Trail with.

We've made a list of the things we "think" we want in a Jeep, but we understand there's a lot we don't know and are open to learning.

We live in the Austin, Texas area so that means we will see both rocks and mud dependent on which side of town we go off roading on. One side is all mud/clay and the other side has about 2' of dirt then solid rock.

I'm extremely mechanically inclined and have worked on my cars from bumper to bumper since day one, and that's a long time ago now...... Which also means I've got the tools needed to do most anything needed plus/minus any special/really big stuff.

I've got two trains of thought on how to attack the end goal of taking on the Rubicon Trail. The two common things for both are, it's got to be an Unlimited and I don't want something so pretty I'm going to cringe every time I ding/dent it. Not that I plan on beating this thing but we want to have fun with it and leave the worries at the curb.

1. Buy a 2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited and slowly build it up over the next 5 plus years to the point I'm confident in my ability, and the Jeep's to take on the RT.

2. Buy a 2007'ish JK that's as cheap as I can find and replace everything with the good and the best stuff I can afford over the next 5 years.

The thought pattern here is a 2012 or newer I can start taking out asap and have some fun with it while I s..l..o..w..l..y build it up to something better than stock.

While a 2007'ish cheapy is likely not going to be something I would consider even taking off road for a while. However,...

The older Jeep I would build. The newer Jeep I would likely just add to.

Both plans appeal to me nearly equally.

I love working on things like this so the amount of work doesn't bother me.

Money wise, I'm looking at a budget of about $25,000 total.

I'm looking for recommendations for the end goal of hitting the Rubicon Trail with the best possible rig for the money.

I'm concerned by buying the cheapest rig to start with I'll need to replace the transmission, transfer case, both axles, and the engine and that'll eat up more than I have to play with.

I'm also very intrigued by the new Cummings 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel coming out this year. Wouldn't mind slapping that baby into something. Can't wait to see how much that thing's going to cost.

If you can point me to good threads to read on this subject that'd be great.

Thank you for putting up with a FNG. lol

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Is that 25k including the price of the vehicle? And I'm not sure why you don't think you could play in a 2011 and older but you could in a newer jeep. What do you envision your jeep being? Taking on the Rubicon is very general. You could run it on 32's or 42's but those would be entirely different builds. I guess you just need to think about what parts you want on your jeep. But I can tell you that you'll be well past that 25k if you're talking complete drivetrain replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Check out something in the 2009-2011 range. 2012-2013 hand engine issues with the new 3.6. They also require exhaust spacers and/or front drive shafts to life above a couple of inches. The 3.8 doesn't. The drivetrain doesn't differ dramatically, except that the newer auto has more gears. The newer jeeps have more creature comforts like heated seats, map lights, & stuff. Considering this isn't a daily driver the amount of money you save can be poured back in other ways to meet your goal.

Sent from my duck blind.

JeepJeep75

A complete drivetrain/transfercase swap will easily eat up 25k all by itself. Doing a diesel swap will cost even more with a high probability of you NOT being satisfied with it in the end. Not to mention how much a diesel swap will cost, it could be all of 25k just for the stinky motor! If I were in your shoes I'd get a 2012 or newer Rubicon, put a good lift with a PR44 front axle and go hit that trail. If 25k is your total budget though, that's gonna be tough. As your tread title states, do lots of research first. Good luck!!

Krazzyk01

Wow. Great input. I'm liking this forum more and more. Thank you for all the great information. I'll hop back on the PC and fill in some gaps in a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Wow. Great input. I'm liking this forum more and more. Thank you for all the great information. I'll hop back on the PC and fill in some gaps in a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I personally went with the jkur as it's fairly capable out the gate I added a lift that netted 3.5" with 35s so I can play as I save for bigger upgrades Mine is going to take some time to build up to where I would like it and I've run it through the rubicon once already and planning another trip hopefully this year

Kyle7R

Do you require a 4 door, or is a 2 door also an option?

I am under 25k for my 09 2 door Rubicon, bought it with around 20k miles on it almost 3 years ago (just over 51k now)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Warrior's Lance

If you don't mind buying a salvage title Jeep, you can probably get all you want if you can do all the repairs yourself. Just do a internet search for "Jeep Repairables". Just know ahead of time that depending on where you look it might be 1 out of 30 vehicles you look at worth the effort and there are lots like you looking at it so you have to be quick. Otherwise, it will be real hard to get more than a 3.8L 2 door JK Rubicon with a cheap lift and tires for $25k.

ChiliDawg

Check out something in the 2009-2011 range. 2012-2013 hand engine issues with the new 3.6. They also require exhaust spacers and/or front drive shafts to life above a couple of inches. The 3.8 doesn't. The drivetrain doesn't differ dramatically, except that the newer auto has more gears. The newer jeeps have more creature comforts like heated seats, map lights, & stuff. Considering this isn't a daily driver the amount of money you save can be poured back in other ways to meet your goal.

Sent from my duck blind.

Know how I know you have a 3.8?

Warrior's Lance

Another thing to worry about is that Rubicon sticker on the hood may be fake. Get the VIN and go to this Chrysler webpage and insert that VIN and get an original build sheet:

http://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

It will tell you which model it is and what it had on it when it left Toledo. I recent found a Sahara with a Rubicon decal on the hood, fortunately, it was being sold as a Sahara. I have seen many non-Rubicons listed as a Rubicon on a sales website that are not. Buyer beware!

Last edited:

J-VET

I had a great time on the Rubicon running a 2.5 RK lift and 35s on our 2011 Rubicon with the addition of Sliders, bumpers, skids and recovery gear. The 3.8 works great for us, but if I had to deal with Texas mud I may favor the 3.6.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Krazzyk01

Is that 25k including the price of the vehicle? And I'm not sure why you don't think you could play in a 2011 and older but you could in a newer jeep. What do you envision your jeep being? Taking on the Rubicon is very general. You could run it on 32's or 42's but those would be entirely different builds. I guess you just need to think about what parts you want on your jeep. But I can tell you that you'll be well past that 25k if you're talking complete drivetrain replacement.

Yes, we’re trying to stay around that 25k figure. I do understand that severely limits what I can do.
However, that’s a number we’re looking at for either the first Jeep we can start out with right away with OR, the Jeep we get that needs some work before going into anything more than basic off roading.

My only Jeep experience has been with my brother in his 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. I went and looked at a LJ yesterday and I was shocked at how small they are. I’m 6’4” and not small. So I was completely against the door and over half way across the center console. I didn’t mind it other than that but it made me realize my only option is a JK.

That said, I’m trying to take heed of some of the warnings I’ve gotten from other Jeepers and stay away from known issues. The Penestar engine is supposed to be far better than the previous engine, the interiors are much nicer after the Italians got involved and now I’m hearing the 2011-12 have some engine issues with the heads.

The end goal is to build it once, maintain it and not keep upgrading again and again. If I’m going to do it I want to do it right the first time. So I want to build/buy a solid foundation and play with all the accessories later. Hence my axles up idea.
End game is to sit on at least 35’s max 37’s. Nothing bigger than that. Solid drivetrain and suspension to handle some enthusiastic driving off road without being stupid about it. I have no entention of setting records or having the baddest rig on the playing field. Just a solid rig I can play with and repair what I occasionally break.

Gotta run for now. I’ll check back in a bit.

Thanks again everyone for your information. I’m learning

Krazzyk01

If you don't mind buying a salvage title Jeep, you can probably get all you want if you can do all the repairs yourself. Just do a internet search for "Jeep Repairables". Just know ahead of time that depending on where you look it might be 1 out of 30 vehicles you look at worth the effort and there are lots like you looking at it so you have to be quick. Otherwise, it will be real hard to get more than a 3.8L 2 door JK Rubicon with a cheap lift and tires for $25k.

I was thinking about something like this. I'll look into it more. I like this idea.

Top Bottom