Jeep baths

TaraW1111

This may be a little silly in comparison to other topics, but hey, if you never ask, you never know! Do you guys take your soft top Wranglers thru touch-less car washes? Mine needs washed bad, but it's January in Ohio, so taking a sponge and a garden hose to it in the yard is out of the question. I'm just not too sure I want to risk an automatic car wash with the soft top. Ok to do it or no? Thank you!!

-------------------------------------------
2016 JKU
1995 YJ

TaraW1111

If it's a touch less car wash I'm not sure what the risk would be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm concerned about the automatic scrubbers tearing/damaging the top or windows. It is very possible this is a non issue, i just don't want to risk it and instantly regret it!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

Munky

I have been thru a few of the auto carwashes, no issues for me. You can actually watch the machine press down on the soft top, but it doesn't go very far down. That was when I was stock, haven't been thru one since I got lifted and 35s.

Napalm

I've been through car washes with a soft top. While the material held fine, it's the Windows that are the issue. The issue is that the bristles of the brushes can scratch the soft top windows. I'm a little OCD about my windows, so the less scratches the better.

While I'm a fan of just hand washing and doing it myself, I am not allowed in touch less car washes anymore due to my EVO Stinger.

If it were me, I'd just buy a few supplies and wash it yourself. Much more fun and usually comes out looking better. :)

ChiliDawg

I'm concerned about the automatic scrubbers tearing/damaging the top or windows. It is very possible this is a non issue, i just don't want to risk it and instantly regret it!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

I'm not sure what a touchless wash where you live entails but all the touchless washes I've ever seen don't have scrubbers. They just spray.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I have gone through a few with my soft top here in Maine. 35s 2.5 lift. No issues, only concern is if the scrubbers wrap around the spare 35 on the tail gate

Sent from my D6708 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TaraW1111

I'm not sure what a touchless wash where you live entails but all the touchless washes I've ever seen don't have scrubbers. They just spray.

Oh! That's in interesting concept! I don't think I've ever seen one like that, but I will for sure try to find one. That seems like a way better option! Thank you!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I tried to go to one of those car washes that pulls your car through but the 35x12.5' tires were to wide. So I washed it myself, saved myself $10 and got to road salt all washed off on the underside.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TaraW1111

I've been through car washes with a soft top. While the material held fine, it's the Windows that are the issue. The issue is that the bristles of the brushes can scratch the soft top windows. I'm a little OCD about my windows, so the less scratches the better.

While I'm a fan of just hand washing and doing it myself, I am not allowed in touch less car washes anymore due to my EVO Stinger.

If it were me, I'd just buy a few supplies and wash it yourself. Much more fun and usually comes out looking better. :)

Yeah, I've only had it since August, I don't want to scratch the window! That drove me crazy on my YJ. I would usually do it myself, but it's 30 degrees here now! I don't want to wait til spring to wash it!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

Napalm

Yeah, I've only had it since August, I don't want to scratch the window! That drove me crazy on my YJ. I would usually do it myself, but it's 30 degrees here now! I don't want to wait til spring to wash it!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

I don't blame you! If it were me, I wouldn't chance it. Soft top Windows are like delicate little flowers. The slightest scuff makes the biggest scratches.....

TaraW1111

I tried to go to one of those car washes that pulls your car through but the 35x12.5' tires were to wide. So I washed it myself, saved myself $10 and got to road salt all washed off on the underside.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm still stock as of right now, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'll give it a good scrub in the spring myself to clean it real good, I'm just looking for something in the mean time now. Thank you!

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I never take my Jeep thru a car wash unless it's a touch less wash. Don't want the brushes scratching the windows if I can help it. I tend to hand wash cause I can get the Jeep cleaner that way.

GraniteCrystal

I've never taken my Jeep thru a car wash and I have a hard top. 1) way cheaper to do myself 2) don't want to risk creating a leak in my weather seals 3) heard too many stories of damage happening in a car wash and not getting reimbursed for it.

I live in CO. The other day I washed the Jeep while the water was freezing on the ground at my feet. I say just get out there and do it.

Journeyman

I never take mine through a car wash. I'm to scared [emoji15] I'm pretty sure my cb antenna would be broken at the very least and that awkward spot where my fastback top transitions to the spare would be scary I think.
I would just find a self serve covered car wash. They usually have heated water on the pressure washers.

TaraW1111

I suppose I'll stick with my gut, layer up and do it myself. [emoji51][emoji51] Thanks for the input everybody!! [emoji1365]

2016 JKU
1995 YJ

Last edited:

T.McD

i wouldn't recommend taking it through a auto carwash as the high pressure with frozen windows is just asking for them to be broken. when you go to the you spray it places you can control the amount of pressure that hits the windows. i learned the hard way years ago from my YJ days.

JeepJeep75

Wait-wait-wait-wait!!!! You can wash these things?!?! Haha! Living in southern Cali, it's never to cold to wash your car. I prefer to do it myself because that means I'm looking the jeep over, top to bottom.

All kidding aside though, can't you take it to a hand-wash place where someone else hand washes it for you?

Top Bottom