JK Unlimited Rubicon 2.5 Lift | I've done my research, now time for your feedback....

ktcred

During the last year, I have given a lot of thought to lifting my JK and replacing my tires with 35s. I've sifted through a lot of good (and bad) information available on the web during this time. My research resources included Google, YouTube, friends, local install shops (e.g., Fortec), lots of different Jeep forums, and, of course, wayalife.com (especially the Newbie FAQs). I have a target setup in mind and I am posting it here to gain any last insight or feedback before I move forward with my purchase and install. Further, I am giving considerable thought to doing this project myself, so thoughts on complexity level and difficulty are very welcome.

With that as context, below are the details. Blast away with feedback….

My Jeep
  • Year: 2014
  • Model: JK Unlimited Rubicon X (same bumpers as 10a and Hard Rock)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Gear Ratio: 4.10
  • Setup: Stock wheels (17”) and tires (32”)

My Driving
This Jeep is my daily driver and I travel ~15 miles, round-trip, for my commute. I have every intention of taking it off-road, but only on service trails and the like (i.e., no rock crawling in my future), and very rarely.

My Skill Level
I’m by no means an expert wrencher. If I had to rate myself on a scale from 1 – 10, I would probably give myself a 5. That said, I have some experience with Jeeps and I am the son of a Porsche and Audi mechanic (crossing fingers the skill runs in my blood – work with me here). Some of the projects/maintenance items I’ve tackled in the past:
  • Typical oil changes, as well as gear oil, on various cars
  • Replaced a drive shaft on my old 2001 Land Rover Discovery
  • I’ve bled the brakes (and replaced brake lines) on multiple cars
  • Replaced brake pads as well as rotors
  • I installed power steering in my old 1986 CJ-7
  • I installed power brakes in that same CJ-7

I will say that the last two projects were a bear. The CJ had a decent amount of rust, so the complexity of that project was significantly more than what I expected. I felt like I was pulling the thread of a sweater; the parts and bolts I had to replace kept going and going.
I really have no idea what I’m doing, but I do enjoy learning things, especially on the fly.

Why I am Lifting

• I’m bored of the 32” tires and they look too small
  • The cool kids lift their Jeeps and I want to be cool
  • I want my Jeep to stand out a bit
  • I will eventually take it off-road and this will do nothing but help

I am aware that my gas mileage will drop, and that Jeeps are made to be taken off-road. I also know that a lift and 35” tires are overkill for daily driving. I’ve taken these items into consideration and will still move forward with my lift.

My Selection
I’ve decided to go with a 2.5” lift; from what I’ve gathered, lifts greater than 2.5” result in stress on multiple components, and require additional adjustments that complicate the install, ride, and reliability. My goal is to have 35” tires, and, while opinions vary, it seems that 2.5” will suffice.

Update as of Feb 1 2017
Here are the components I’ve selected after my research:
  1. Lift: JKS JSPEC 2.5 Suspension Lift
  2. Lower Control Arms: JKS J-Flex Lower Control Arms
  3. Tire Carrier: AEV Tire Carrier
  4. Tires: 35x12.50R18LT - Still debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler Hybrid and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
  5. Wheels: 18” Fuel Octane -12mm 4.5 BS
  6. Computer Adjustments: Superchips Flashpaq

Here is the old list that started the thread (I've since moved away from this build):
  • Lift: AEV 2.5 DualSport XT Suspension
  • Geometry Correction Brackets: Leaning towards AEV, even though many mention Rancho
  • Wheels: 18” Fuel Octane -12mm 4.5 BS
  • Tires: 35x12.50R18LT - Still debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler Hybrid and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
  • Rear Tire Carrier: I’m really struggling between the AEV Tire Carrier and the Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier. I’m leaning towards the Teraflex, as it seems much easier to install – and no drilling.
  • Computer Adjustments: AEV ProCal Module for speedometer and tire pressure calibration.

Everything else is going to be stock, including the front track bar and my 4.10 gears. Regarding the gears, I’m basing my decision on the posted charts, as it looks that I’m still in the “green” zone (barely) with my current gear ratio.

My Questions
I know that is a lot of information, but 1) I am hoping this will help others and 2) quality output (i.e., your feedback) requires quality input (i.e., my situation and plan). So, here are my questions:

1. Any concerns regarding a DIY install of the AEV DualSport XT lift? (UPDATE: Answered...I'm going with the JKS JSPEC 2.5" lift and will self-install)
  2. Thoughts on my indecisive components, such as tires, carrier, or geometry brackets? (UPDATE: Answered....I'm going with the JKS J-Flex Front Lower Control Arms)
  3. I think I’ve read enough about 4.10 gears with 35” tires, but if you want to chime in, feel free (UPDATE: Received feedback that 4.10 should be good)
  4. Anyone have experience shipping tires on wheels directly to their house? Should I just go to a local dealer instead?

Thanks in advance for your reply and insight. I’m excited to get rolling with this project.

Last edited:

wcarlson40

I know everyone on this forum is critical of the AEV lifts, but my situation was similar to yours, and it was what I chose as well.

I am not super experienced or mechanically inclined, but I wanted the satisfaction of a project I could install myself. I installed the AEV 2.5 lift in my own garage over a period of 2 days by myself. I also chose to add the correction brackets, but I'm not sure what difference they make. I know everyone says you don't need an "alignment" after installing this lift, but my Tow was off (maybe it was before the lift), and it made a big difference having it adjusted professionally afterwards.

I've been living with 3.73 gears with my 35, so I think you'll be fine with 4.1 gears.

Good luck, and have fun!

wcarlson40

Oh, and you also mentioned the AEV Procal. I'd go with the SuperChips brand. Does the same thing, and you'll get some engine tuning performance benefits as well (makes my 3.73 gears livable )

ktcred

2 things that stand out that I would not recommend is the Teraflex tire carrier: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Brea

Thanks for sharing the Teraflex thread. I do get the sense that the AEV carrier is much better. I need to look into the installation instructions a bit more. Drilling into my Jeep turns me off. However, I know the carrier is way more versatile

Nor the geometry drop brackets. The lift height you're doing will be fine without them. They cause less ground clearance and it's one more item under force that can loosen up. You may need a new front drive shaft.

I've heard mixed thoughts on the geometry brackets, including the lack of need for a 2.5" lift, and that they result in less clearance. I've also heard, however, that they help the Jeep ride considerably. Maybe I go without the brackets (after all, there is probably a reason that AEV includes them with every kit, sans the 2.5" one), and see how it rides. I do like the idea of having one less "item under force that can loosen up." Thanks again.

ktcred

I know everyone on this forum is critical of the AEV lifts, but my situation was similar to yours, and it was what I chose as well.

I am not super experienced or mechanically inclined, but I wanted the satisfaction of a project I could install myself. I installed the AEV 2.5 lift in my own garage over a period of 2 days by myself.

This is great to hear. I'll assume, you are happy with the lift. I can definitely carve out 2 days over a weekend to complete the job. I appreciate the confidence booster.

I also chose to add the correction brackets, but I'm not sure what difference they make. I know everyone says you don't need an "alignment" after installing this lift, but my Tow was off (maybe it was before the lift), and it made a big difference having it adjusted professionally afterwards.

Maybe I will try first without the brackets (see post above) and then add later. I wish I could try a Jeep before and after to get a sense of the difference.

I've been living with 3.73 gears with my 35, so I think you'll be fine with 4.1 gears.
Oh, and you also mentioned the AEV Procal. I'd go with the SuperChips brand. Does the same thing, and you'll get some engine tuning performance benefits as well (makes my 3.73 gears livable )

I never came across the SuperChips model. Thanks for sharing. I always get worried about tuning the engine through the computer. While everyone claims better performance and increased horsepower, I ask myself why Jeep doesn't just ship the Jeep in this configuration f it was of no concern. (I know many do it all the time for many different car brands.) I'm going to look into this module more and, based on your recommendation, it looks like I will go this route, over the AEV ProCal.

Robertcrav

Superchips offers the Flashcal and the Flashpaq ... the new Flashcal can be upgraded for about $200 to a Flashpaq. The Flashcal is equivalent to the procal, but instead of using dip switches, you actually get a screen to visually see your options and changes, no engine tuning. The Flashpaq adds the performance tuning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Robertcrav

I also believe, for dd/dual use you will get lots of suggestions for the Evo 3" Enforcer kit. This comes with all the necessary parts except shocks, but comes with front lower control arms to correct caster. Caster correction is important to make sure the steering specs can be adjusted into a near stock setting. Adjustable control arms are a better option than the geometry drop brackets because you don't lose ground clearance.

The Evo springs are also said to be some of the most comfortable...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

rubiconrunner

Well you may be happy to know that I had the 2.5 AEV lift. No geometry brackets, 35s on 17s, 3.73s, AEV tire carrier and the superchips tuner. They all worked flawlessly and I was very happy with my set up. The jeep was very practical for DD and off roaring situations, handled exceptional.......... until I decided that I wanted 37s, now my jeep is broken lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ktcred

Well you may be happy to know that I had the 2.5 AEV lift. No geometry brackets, 35s on 17s, 3.73s, AEV tire carrier and the superchips tuner. They all worked flawlessly and I was very happy with my set up. The jeep was very practical for DD and off roaring situations, handled exceptional.......... until I decided that I wanted 37s, now my jeep is broken lol

Awesome (well, the part about your previous setup, not that you have since had issues. Ha!)! Curious, were you happy with rake after the install? Anything worth noting there?

I did forget to mention that I have the Rubicon X (same bumpers as 10a and Hard Rock). This helps with the AEV tire carrier, although I will lose my back passenger side tow hook.

ktcred

I also believe, for dd/dual use you will get lots of suggestions for the Evo 3" Enforcer kit. This comes with all the necessary parts except shocks, but comes with front lower control arms to correct caster. Caster correction is important to make sure the steering specs can be adjusted into a near stock setting. Adjustable control arms are a better option than the geometry drop brackets because you don't lose ground clearance.

The Evo springs are also said to be some of the most comfortable...

Thanks for the additional information. My concern about going higher than a 2.5" is that I have to add more components and it causes strain in other areas. This includes the drive shaft, exhaust spacers, etc.. Also, I would definitely be bringing it to a shop for an install. I looked up the Evo install information and the need for "grinding" gives me pause.

It is funny how here are so many different opinions on the subject of adjustable control arms too. I hear that most don't like the additional joint.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Your jeep will look more aggressive and "bad ass" if you get smaller wheels, and fatter tires. Get 15" wheels and 33" tires, or 35" tires and flat fenders, and your jeep will LOOK better than a lifted one, and perform as well as stock.

I would look at the EVO leveling kit, JKS 2.5 lift, or a Budget Boost. None of them require correction brackets or adjustable control arms. AEV is going to ride firm in a light Jeep like a Daily Driver as their springs are designed for heavy rigs loaded for long camping trips. The Budget Boost will ride exactly like it does now. the EVO and JKS should have better rides. You will want to trim your fenders depending on how much you plan on off roading as you will rub. C Gussets will be another must have for 35"

I have a 16 hard rock so the same setup as you. I plan on the AEV Tire Carrier as it is fairly plug and play. I am also leaning toward the JKS 3.5 lift so I don't have to cut my fenders as I like that look better. Only things i will have to Do will be changing the front lower control arms (which come in the kit), Drag link flip (not necessarily needed but a good idea), and a new front drive shaft (1350 not 1310). Same if I do the EVO 3 inch Enforcer.

It all depends on what look you want. But, I would stay away from AEV and correction brackets.

Claye

I have what you are talking about, '15 JKUHR w/ 2.5" AEV lift & 35" tires, well, 34.4" Duratracs. I did do the geometry brackets. My Jeep drove and rode good, probably almost as good as factory, maybe as good. Then I added JKS adjustable lower control arms, JKS adjustable trackbar & the Fox 2.0 Performance stabilizer. Since all of this was done at the same time I cannot tell you what had the most affect, but what I can tell you is I will NEVER do another lift without adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar and the Fox stabilizer! Rides better and more importantly, drives better, better than new (from what I can remember). Without a doubt is more in alignment and tracks straighter, especially noticeable over bumps and/or irregular pavement.

I was sold by others on how great the AEV lift rides and drives. In retrospect I believe there are others out there that are equal, maybe better, so I don't think AEV is the ONLY lift you could consider. I do think if you can swing it, doing the lower control arms, an adjustable track bar & the Fox 2.0 stabilizer makes a HUGE difference.

BTW, if it helps, mine is a daily driver, but we also pull it all over the country behind our RV and wheel, probably more than most. We're not afraid to push our toys to the limit. My Jeep has been to 20+ states and wheeled in most of them. I have nothing but good things to say about the AEV lift & the rest of the mods I have in regards to on or off roading.

Best of luck and have fun!

ktcred

I would look at the EVO leveling kit, JKS 2.5 lift, or a Budget Boost.

Thanks for turning me on to these options. The JKS 2.5 looks appealing. It is interesting that there isn't too much information available on the forums for this kit, compared to the AEV. Although, everything I have seen has been positive.

I have a 16 hard rock so the same setup as you. I plan on the AEV Tire Carrier as it is fairly plug and play.

I'm sold. I think it is AEV carrier all-of-the-way. I do think there is some trivial drilling required.

I have the aev 2.5 with correction brackets. Took me about 6hrs to install. Very happy with it on and off road

It seems that everyone that has this setup is quite pleased. Your comment regarding the install time is a confidence boost as well (even if it takes me twice as long). Was there any drilling or welding involved? Lastly, were the instructions suitable or did you have to turn to other resources? Big thank you.

I have what you are talking about, '15 JKUHR w/ 2.5" AEV lift & 35" tires, well, 34.4" Duratracs. I did do the geometry brackets. My Jeep drove and rode good, probably almost as good as factory, maybe as good.

Very encouraging! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we have a similar setup and I'm glad to hear you were happy with the ride.

Then I added JKS adjustable lower control arms, JKS adjustable trackbar & the Fox 2.0 Performance stabilizer. Since all of this was done at the same time I cannot tell you what had the most affect, but what I can tell you is I will NEVER do another lift without adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar and the Fox stabilizer!

I'm starting to think that I should go the JKS 2.5 lift route and then add the front lower adjustable control arms for an extra 200 (actually, net 100, since I won't buy the geometry brackets).

I was sold by others on how great the AEV lift rides and drives. In retrospect I believe there are others out there that are equal, maybe better, so I don't think AEV is the ONLY lift you could consider. I do think if you can swing it, doing the lower control arms, an adjustable track bar & the Fox 2.0 stabilizer makes a HUGE difference.

I may go this route. It isn't the money that is a concern, so I can definitely add the control arms (and look into the other items).

BTW, if it helps, mine is a daily driver, but we also pull it all over the country behind our RV and wheel, probably more than most.

HUGE help! Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom