Go big, go little...Or go home?

The BAD Influence

I currently have a 2015 JKU with 3.5" and 33s. I recently went out on couple 7 rated trails in Moab with friends. I had to go slower, picking my lines, and sometimes taking the bypasses. I decided I needed to make the jump to 37s. I'm very thankful for the experience of the members on this forum and for all the great information available.
So here's my dilemma:
5) 37" STT Pro $2,200
Dynatrac Trail package (PR 44, two ARB lockers, new rear shafts) $6,500
ARB compressor $300
Dynatrac big brake $1,000
LoD rear bumper with tire carrier $1,300
Control arm and drag link set $1,500 (current lift has relocation brackets)
Misc $1,200 (wiring, switches, labor)(plan on doing all installation myself, except the rear axle shafts and locker)
PSC $3,000
So $17,000 to hang with the big boys. I've kicked around the idea of just regearing and maybe adding a rear locker. Putting the tires on and only front control arms. But because this Jeep is still a daily driver, I feel I need to keep the big brake kit.
I would say that under normal situations I could probably get away with this set up for a awhile. But being honest with myself, especially out with friends, I'm probably going to push a little, and maybe get myself in a bad spot, and start breaking things.
Financially I could swing the cost of going big, but it'll take away from savings and rainy day money, which makes my wife nervous. Plus, I promised her a beach vacation. You know if I take her vacation away for the Jeep I'm in trouble.
If I try to do this piece by piece, I'll end up doubling up on costs, when I eventually make the jump to bigger and better equipment.
Do I just be patient and wait until I can do it all at once? Try to go cheap, and piece by piece?
Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I currently have a 2015 JKU with 3.5" and 33s. I recently went out on couple 7 rated trails in Moab with friends. I had to go slower, picking my lines, and sometimes taking the bypasses. I decided I needed to make the jump to 37s. I'm very thankful for the experience of the members on this forum and for all the great information available.
So here's my dilemma:
5) 37" STT Pro $2,200
ARB compressor $300
Dynatrac big brake $1,000
LoD rear bumper with tire carrier $1,300
Control arm and drag link set $1,500 (current lift has relocation brackets)
Misc $1,200 (wiring, switches, labor)(plan on doing all installation myself, except the rear axle shafts and locker)
PSC $3,000
So $17,000 to hang with the big boys. I've kicked around the idea of just regearing and maybe adding a rear locker. Putting the tires on and only front control arms. But because this Jeep is still a daily driver, I feel I need to keep the big brake kit.
I would say that under normal situations I could probably get away with this set up for a awhile. But being honest with myself, especially out with friends, I'm probably going to push a little, and maybe get myself in a bad spot, and start breaking things.
Financially I could swing the cost of going big, but it'll take away from savings and rainy day money, which makes my wife nervous. Plus, I promised her a beach vacation. You know if I take her vacation away for the Jeep I'm in trouble.
If I try to do this piece by piece, I'll end up doubling up on costs, when I eventually make the jump to bigger and better equipment.
Do I just be patient and wait until I can do it all at once? Try to go cheap, and piece by piece?
Thanks for your feedback.

I get WANTS... but what you NEED might be different... If you want 37s, get the PR44 geared for 37s and regear the rear. save/buy the 37s and add as you find other parts necessary....

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

You're paying too much for those STT Pros. PM Discount Tire on here.

Doesn't the Dynatrac Trail Package come with ProGrips?

PSC can wait. Do that next year.

Ddays

Hooked
So here's my dilemma:
5) 37" STT Pro $1800
ARB compressor $300
Control arm and drag link set $1,500 (current lift has relocation brackets) Get adjustable front LCA's. Add DL flip $700 +/-

Keep these - add rest as you go. That total is $10,500

The PSC system is sweet but not 100% necessary right away. Lot of guys use the stock carrier with 37's. Big brake kit is nice but again, not 100% necessary at first. :twocents:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Come again? I've never heard anyone on here suggest 37s on stock tire carrier

Mel ran in on Evolander for over 75k miles im pretty sure, mounted on a Slab too. its all about how you isolate the tire from vibration. and of course protecting your departure angle :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Come again? I've never heard anyone on here suggest 37s on stock tire carrier

ttfhell did it for awhile. I remember seeing this on a thread a long time ago when I was researching stuff.
Granted its not ideal but if its short term you could get away with it. Probably should have said there are other options out there vs spending the
$1300 on an LOD combo but too late now. Another option is the new EVO carrier. Not cheap but still not $1300

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375843031.716393.jpg

OhNoTheJiggies

I think I paid 1800 for all 5 stt pros. Might be slightly less as it was in June or July. You could always try combing CL, eBay, and the classified here for some things that'll help you knock off things from your list for cheaper than msrp. Alot of what I've done to the jeep has been opportunistic... En route to saving for a big purchase and finding a great deal somewhere. Sometimes you gotta drive an hour or so, but end up saving $100 on some rigid or beadlock with 35s for a grand. Believe it or not, those deals exist(even though they van be scarce)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I just paid about $2050 for my STT Pros. Ordered from Discount Tire in AZ and shipped to CA, so I saved on the tax.

As far as all that goes, you could skip the PR44s and wheel till you break something (not ideal) but there are lot of people running 37s on stock 44s (not ideal, but it works).

You don't need the PSC out the gate.

I would definitely get the ProGrip kit no matter what if it's your DD, the difference and safety is worth it.

You could find some Rubicon take off axle shafts for pretty cheap which would give some added stock strength.

I think you're missing driveshafts from your list, again, you could wheel till break the stocks, but with 37s you might wanna get 1350s.

The BAD Influence

Dangit! I knew I missed something. Yes, driveshafts. Adams has both for $1,200 I believe. And yes I can get the tires for $1,800, but with warranty and mount and balance....
Also, I don't have a Rubicon, so 37s on a D30. And I figured, why pay for gearing if I'm just going to need to replace the whole axle shortly.
I keep running the numbers. What I can do without. What I really need if I go to 37s. I figure if I'm passed half way just to get by it makes no sense cause I'm just going to have to spend that same money over again.
Yes, the PSC is not necessary, but what's the difference once I'm pushing $20,000?
More on the bumper: The Jeep rides so damn stiff because of the springs, I've got to get some weight on the back, or swap them out.
Brakes are my wife's priority as its her DD and she can tell the difference since putting the current tires on. Also, after the last outing in Moab I could feel the brakes fading on several descents.
Once Ive got the lockers and compressor, yes I could save a couple bucks on switches but again, why at that point.
And as stated, outside of paying someone to put the new shafts and locker in the rear, I'm saving money by doing the rest myself.

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Dangit! I knew I missed something. Yes, driveshafts. Adams has both for $1,200 I believe. And yes I can get the tires for $1,800, but with warranty and mount and balance....
Also, I don't have a Rubicon, so 37s on a D30. And I figured, why pay for gearing if I'm just going to need to replace the whole axle shortly.
I keep running the numbers. What I can do without. What I really need if I go to 37s. I figure if I'm passed half way just to get by it makes no sense cause I'm just going to have to spend that same money over again.
Yes, the PSC is not necessary, but what's the difference once I'm pushing $20,000?
More on the bumper: The Jeep rides so damn stiff because of the springs, I've got to get some weight on the back, or swap them out.
Brakes are my wife's priority as its her DD and she can tell the difference since putting the current tires on. Also, after the last outing in Moab I could feel the brakes fading on several descents.
Once Ive got the lockers and compressor, yes I could save a couple bucks on switches but again, why at that point.
And as stated, outside of paying someone to put the new shafts and locker in the rear, I'm saving money by doing the rest myself.

I wish I didn't make the regearing mistake. Spent $1800 on regearing in may. And I'm. Ow planning on buying a pro rock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

wow seems kind of high. maybe do a search for Rubi takes off and then you can just regear if needed and run them until the front fails before moving to a PR44.
Found a member only about 45 minutes away selling his new Rubi axles. Price was $3,500. Looking around, that seemed fair. But then I'd still have to regear, and even though further down the road I'd still need the PR. In the end I couldn't justify even going that route.

jkwebbie

If you're spending that much, might as well go to 1 tons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Warrior's Lance

Sounds like your mind is made up. Start ordering parts. Just kidding. :)

I found online the same Cooper Stt Pro's that Eddie is using (37x13.5r17lt) for $314.59 each shipping included. That's about 1575 for 5. Sorry, it's not from our tire retailer supporter of the forum so I cannot provide the link, it's left to you to find them.

The BAD Influence

Sounds like your mind is made up. Start ordering parts. Just kidding. :)

I found online the same Cooper Stt Pro's that Eddie is using (37x13.5r17lt) for $314.59 each shipping included. That's about 1575 for 5. Sorry, it's not from our tire retailer supporter of the forum so I cannot provide the link, it's left to you to find them.
I've found those, but currently have 18" wheels. Don't want to add new ones to the budget.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Is all this really needed to enjoy the outdoors? If so, go for it. For me, I'd feel content for about a week, then I'd probably want my $20 grand back.

Sent from my BNTV600 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom