First Trail Ride Advice: Moonlight off-road park, Feb 11

First Trail Ride Advice? Moonlight off-road park, Feb 11

Alrighty, as the title says, I'm taking my stock 2017 JKUR on its first trail ride in just over a week. I'm entirely inexperienced and would love to learn what you wish you had known or planned for on your first foray.

IMG_0041.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Just keep your tires on the rocks, don't straddle them. Not sure how cell coverage is out there, but I always tell someone where I'm going and what time they should expect to hear back from me.

Don't forget to shift into 4lo. I am notorious for forgetting to shift into 4lo.. [emoji23]

When do you decide to go 4lo? Do you first try everything in 4hi, and switch to lo if you struggle? Or do you just stay in 4lo the whole time if it's mostly slow going? I know the Rubicon can only be locked in 4lo, so that's something for me to think about.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Put it in lo as soon as you start to go up a steep hill, then leave it there until you hit the main through trails. Don't put your lockers on until you need it. Also,disconnect the swaybar from the get go. Have fun, maybe I'll see you there.

Sent from my BNTV600 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBEERCON

Congrats! Love the white!

I would stay at the back of the group, but don't go last. Watch the path or line they take, if they make it without drama follow their line. If it's a difficult climb let the guy in front of you get up the hill before you take your turn.

Air your tires down to around 15psi, the jeep is so much smoother and capable on the trail with lower tire pressure.

You can stay in 4 low all day but you'll be creeping around, I use it mainly for climbs that I feel the need to be fully locked on. Remember when the front is locked the jeep becomes hard to steer in tight areas. Rear only locked does not affect the steering as much.

Find some grass this week and learn how to engage the lockers, 4hi and low, sway bar disconnect.

Everyone wear seatbelt and keep your hands inside when the windows are down.

May be a good idea to invest in a tow strap, no lift you may get wedged on a rock.

Watch a bunch of jeep videos on YouTube. You'll see what to do and not do.

Post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

All good advice already given.

Watching the guy in front of me who was also stock really helped me.

Don't be afraid to ask for a spotter. This is why we go in groups. It's welcome and encouraged to ask for help.

If you don't feel comfortable doing something, ask someone more experienced if they think you can do it. There may be points where you're a little uncomfortable but that's half the fun. Just don't go too far. A little adrenaline is good. A lot is expensive.

Take the doors off if weather allows. Four fewer things to damage on the trail.

Congrats! Love the white!

Thanks, I'm thrilled

You can stay in 4 low all day but you'll be creeping around, I use it mainly for climbs that I feel the need to be fully locked on. Remember when the front is locked the jeep becomes hard to steer in tight areas. Rear only locked does not affect the steering as much.

Fantastic feedback.. thanks.

All good advice already given.

Watching the guy in front of me who was also stock really helped me.

Don't be afraid to ask for a spotter. This is why we go in groups. It's welcome and encouraged to ask for help.

If you don't feel comfortable doing something, ask someone more experienced if they think you can do it. There may be points where you're a little uncomfortable but that's half the fun. Just don't go too far. A little adrenaline is good. A lot is expensive.

Take the doors off if weather allows. Four fewer things to damage on the trail.

Great feedback.. thanks for this.

A little adrenaline is good. A lot is expensive.
Particularly this nugget. :)

Top Bottom