Moab Trip Feeler (Oct. 1st - 7th, 2017)

JeepsySoul

Hubby and I are in the midst of planning our VERY FIRST trip to Moab for the first week of October this year. :clap2: It seems like the weather is perfect around that time, and I'm hoping it will be less crowded.

We'll be bringing my TJ and our dirtbikes to explore the area. I know it's far out, but I'm hoping that there might be some other Jeeple interested in doing some trails with us during that time, so I'm putting this out there.

PS, since this is an annual trip for you... any veteran advice for this Moab virgin?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The best advice I can offer is slow down. In every aspect. Moab is one of the biggest little towns I know lol. It moves at its own pace so if you're in a hurry to do anything you will miss out on a lot. There are so many trails that range from insane to not even needing 4WD. Pick up a moab jeep trails book (I will try and find a link ) or do some research online for what trails you may want to do.
There is no way you can get everything in so don't stress if you start to find yourself overwhelmed. I've been averaging 3-4 trips a year for the last 15 years and I have yet to experience all that is moab.
If you're wanting to camp then there are tons of places in and near town. If you want lodging then book early so you can get good rates.
Keep an eye out for things going on, there are a couple of marathons and an arts festival that can really bind the town up as far as food and lodging.

Hit me up as you get closer to the dates and I would be happy to share ideas with you and of course, I'd love to tag along and show you some of the trails and places.

JeepsySoul

The best advice I can offer is slow down. In every aspect. Moab is one of the biggest little towns I know lol. It moves at its own pace so if you're in a hurry to do anything you will miss out on a lot. There are so many trails that range from insane to not even needing 4WD. Pick up a moab jeep trails book (I will try and find a link ) or do some research online for what trails you may want to do.
There is no way you can get everything in so don't stress if you start to find yourself overwhelmed. I've been averaging 3-4 trips a year for the last 15 years and I have yet to experience all that is moab.
If you're wanting to camp then there are tons of places in and near town. If you want lodging then book early so you can get good rates.
Keep an eye out for things going on, there are a couple of marathons and an arts festival that can really bind the town up as far as food and lodging.

Hit me up as you get closer to the dates and I would be happy to share ideas with you and of course, I'd love to tag along and show you some of the trails and places.

Wow, thank you so much!!

I'm already balls deep into researching my must-do trails. For the Jeep, among the top few are Top of the World, Hells Revenge, and Fins and Things. On the dirtbikes we want to be sure to check out Kane Creek trail and Dead Cow Wash and possibly the white rim trail. I'm debating whether to do Poison Spider Mesa on the bikes or in the Jeep.

I'm DEFINITELY in desire of other trail recommendations, so I'm very grateful to have a trail buddy to show me around!!

I found a small apartment to rent. Haven't booked yet, but we will next payday.

ChiliDawg

Awesome!! I hope you can make it!

PS, I saw your Jeep at Lowes last weekend when we were on our way out of the store. If we weren't in a rush that day I woulda found you and said hi!

Haha, small town stuff. I was in and out of there pretty quick too so you must have just missed me.

benatc1

Hooked
this sounds like it just might be a good time, i wont have a clue if i can until much later but I will keep it in mind!

JeepsySoul

this sounds like it just might be a good time, i wont have a clue if i can until much later but I will keep it in mind!

I hope you can Ben! Reno Convoy!

I'll make sure to make another post later the summer to remind everyone about it.

JeepJeep75

My wife and I took our first trip to Moab last year, first week in October. It was perfect weather during the day. We were tent camping, and it was cold overnight. We found out we need better cold weather bags. Temps were mid 30's in the morning. If we would've had a little portable tent heater it would've been perfect.
Our first stop in town was one of the jeep rental places to find the trail guide book. I forget the name, but it's great. It lists over 100 trails and rates them by difficulty. Worth every penny. We spent 5 days there. It was fantastic! Hoping to go again, about the same time this year.

Wow, thank you so much!!

I'm already balls deep into researching my must-do trails. For the Jeep, among the top few are Top of the World, Hells Revenge, and Fins and Things. On the dirtbikes we want to be sure to check out Kane Creek trail and Dead Cow Wash and possibly the white rim trail. I'm debating whether to do Poison Spider Mesa on the bikes or in the Jeep.

I'm DEFINITELY in desire of other trail recommendations, so I'm very grateful to have a trail buddy to show me around!!

I found a small apartment to rent. Haven't booked yet, but we will next payday.

Well, depending on how your Jeep is set up there are a ton of options. Poison Spider, hells revenge, fins and things, and 7 mile rim (just to name a few) can all be done in a stock Jeep while still offering a lot of fun for built rigs as well. Other trails like cliff hanger and metal masher are better suited for moderately built Jeeps. The Wayalife youtube channel has some awesome videos on some trails in moab so take a look at those for some great ideas.
Im in Salt Lake City so when we get closer to the dates, if youre coming through this way from your area then we can link up and convoy down together.

JeepsySoul

Well, depending on how your Jeep is set up there are a ton of options. Poison Spider, hells revenge, fins and things, and 7 mile rim (just to name a few) can all be done in a stock Jeep while still offering a lot of fun for built rigs as well. Other trails like cliff hanger and metal masher are better suited for moderately built Jeeps. The Wayalife youtube channel has some awesome videos on some trails in moab so take a look at those for some great ideas.
Im in Salt Lake City so when we get closer to the dates, if youre coming through this way from your area then we can link up and convoy down together.

Good to know. I just assumed Hells Revenge was a super challenging trail because of the escalator!! That will be a high pucker factor obstacle, especially since my jeep has a manual trans. It's going to be really nice to run with someone like you who is experienced with these trails.

My TJ has a 4.5" short arm lift and 35" tires. It's a rubicon so I have front/rear lockers. Additional skid plates, rock sliders and new hi-fenders will be on shortly. Also have a winch going on tomorrow. Next purchase will be a CB radio. I feel like it's decently capable of quite a bit and I'm up for some challenges.

Right now I am planning on taking Hwy 50 instead of I-80... the scenic route... so I won't be passing through Salt Lake.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Good to know. I just assumed Hells Revenge was a super challenging trail because of the escalator!! That will be a high pucker factor obstacle, especially since my jeep has a manual trans. It's going to be really nice to run with someone like you who is experienced with these trails.

My TJ has a 4.5" short arm lift and 35" tires. It's a rubicon so I have front/rear lockers. Additional skid plates, rock sliders and new hi-fenders will be on shortly. Also have a winch going on tomorrow. Next purchase will be a CB radio. I feel like it's decently capable of quite a bit and I'm up for some challenges.

Right now I am planning on taking Hwy 50 instead of I-80... the scenic route... so I won't be passing through Salt Lake.

Hells revenge has some optional obstacles that make it a much harder trail. Hells gate, Escalator, tip over challenge and the hot tub can all be bypassed. But there's still some pucker factor to be had. We did it when our jeep was basically stock. Just a leveling kit but still factory rubber. It's a very fun trail. I'd recommend fins first as it's a little easier and will get you used to the slickrock, staring at the sky and standing on the firewall. Haha.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
You can count me in, went ahead and booked the trip. Will be showing up on the 1st and leaving the 6th. Really looking forward to seeing Moab for the first time.

Top Bottom