WAYALIFE Old Iron Recovery Rig

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, the thought of towing a Jeep out to the trail isn't exactly something Cindy or I would ever dream of doing. It's just not our cup of tea and really, we love our Jeeps way too much to not want to drive them every chance we get. Needless to say, the thought of buying a tow rig was never something we've thought about or at least, not until we moved up to Northern Nevada. Unlike our past life where we lived in a condo down by the beach, we now have a ton of room and a crazy desire to fill it up with old iron. While we have been able to drive much of what we have back home, there have been a lot of missed opportunities and only because of our inability to bring them home. And so, our quest to buy our first non-Jeep vehicle in over 25 years began in earnest and after looking far and near for quite some time, we finally came across the exact pickup truck we've been wanting. It did take driving up to Idaho to get it but as of today, we are now the proud owners of a 2006 GMC Sierra 'Classic' 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed 4 Wheel Drive and most importantly, with a 6.6L LBZ Duramax Diesel motor.

Here's a couple of shots of what this truck looked like when we were buying it.
20170209173823-834aefc1.jpg

20170209173822-b064a3fc.jpg

Under the hood.
20170209173848-9bbfd06f.jpg

Inside.
20170209173849-916c23b2.jpg

20170209173851-09e6e67d.jpg

A few shots on our way home.
20170209173727-55a5f4be.jpg

20170209173725-7f35f211.jpg

20170209173723-0cb259f0.jpg

And finally, we took these shots of our new tow rig soon after bringing it home to Camp WAYALIFE.
20170209162955-d6b56b49-me.jpg

20170209163010-f9b9297b-me.jpg

20170209162921-597fa50f-me.jpg

20170209162930-1779a3a9-me.jpg

20170209162945-c853d9a9-me.jpg

20170209163034-d94318c4-me.jpg

20170209163042-56e8fd62-me.jpg

Fortunately for us, the previous owner kept it nice, clean and very stock - just the way we like it! We do have plans to give it a little lift and run slightly bigger tires but nothing crazy. We'll post up more pics once it stops raining. :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Awesome! The 2500 hd duramax is nice! It paired with the Allison trans makes for a great rig!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! The 2500 hd duramax is nice! It paired with the Allison trans makes for a great rig!

Thanks! Yes, this Duramax is paired with a very nice 6-Speed Allison transmission with manual shift. Super quite, powerful and very fuel efficient.

madstiles

Nice rig! I'm a die hard GM/Chevy man. Learned how to work on cats building chevy stock cars with my dad and uncle when I was single digits lol Our vehicle besides the Jeep is an z71 Avalanche best damn trucks ever! Congrats on your buy I'll quit babbling now haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

ob_tj

Really nice truck! I have heard really good things about the 6.6 duramax. They run forever. Like the color also. We just ordered a 2017 Z71 in a color like that called pepperdust metallic!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice rig! I'm a die hard GM/Chevy man. Learned how to work on cats building chevy stock cars with my dad and uncle when I was single digits lol Our vehicle besides the Jeep is an z71 Avalanche best damn trucks ever! Congrats on your buy I'll quit babbling now haha

LOL!! We love GM/Chevys too. It's why we have an LS under the hood of Moby and not a HEMI. There's just so much more support for them and tons you can do.

Really nice truck! I have heard really good things about the 6.6 duramax. They run forever. Like the color also. We just ordered a 2017 Z71 in a color like that called pepperdust metallic!

No kidding, congrats to you :thumb:

Holy shit that is awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! We really wanted to get a pre-emissions LBZ Duramax and was glad we found one. Amazing power out of the box and can be tuned to give you so much more. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised! That's a great looking truck though, seems very clean and well taken care of!

Thanks! I'm embarrassed to say that it's cleaner and nicer than Moby :blush:
The previous owner really took care of this thing.

Congrats! :thumb: Now you have forced air induction!

:cheesy: I was wondering when would comment on that or the fact that this is a tow rig. :crazyeyes:

sc_rhino

I think the 06 is the best year to get. I've got an 02 but have had to replace the injectors. By the time chevy released the 06 they got all the kinks out and before they added all of emission related exhaust systems. Congrats.

Great trucks. The only thing you wouldn't think to do more compared to gas trucks is to change your fuel filter. I usually change mine every 10k miles. It keeps the math easy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 06 is the best year to get. I've got an 02 but have had to replace the injectors. By the time chevy released the 06 they got all the kinks out and before they added all of emission related exhaust systems. Congrats.

Great trucks. The only thing you wouldn't think to do more compared to gas trucks is to change your fuel filter. I usually change mine every 10k miles. It keeps the math easy.

Oh yeah. We'd been holding out for an 06 but was tempted to buy an 01 and an 03 but knew the injector problem was real and one that could easily tack on an additional $4k.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter.

WJCO

Meme King

Very good tip on the fuel filter.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Our Yukon XL is an '06. It's got 190k on it with no real issues...ever. The tranny is running strong too. I can imagine what the diesel is like.

sc_rhino

Very good tip on the fuel filter.

Diesel fuel is pretty dirty and the manual says to change it every 15k miles but it can't hurt to do it more.

Eddie, there are two forums that deal with chevy/GMC Duramax trucks that I check/ use if I want to know something.

the diesel page
diesel place

Top Bottom