Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

As many of you know, the Wrangler is the preferred tow vehicle of choice because of just how little you have to modify it to tow behind a motorhome.

I tow my 2012 behind my motorhome, which is a 2014 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Bus 45LP with the 8.9 ISL 450hp Cummins diesel.

The only modifications I currently have done to my Jeep for flat towing are a flush mounted light outlet in the front bumper, and it's wired for lights throughout the Jeep.

If you have a JK with an automatic transmission, you can tow it with the transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral, and key removed. The steering will not lock while being towed. I also have an adapter to compensate for the height of the Jeep.

I flat towed the Jeep all the way from Florida to Moab for the 2016 EJS and she towed beautifully!

Here is my setup:

IMG_2851.jpg IMG_2858.jpg IMG_2880.jpg IMG_2887.jpg IMG_2889.jpg IMG_2903.jpg IMG_2892.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

As many of you know, the Wrangler is the preferred tow vehicle of choice because of just how little you have to modify it to tow behind a motorhome.

I tow my 2012 behind my motorhome, which is a 2014 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Bus 45LP with the 8.9 ISL 450hp Cummins diesel.

The only modifications I currently have done to my Jeep for flat towing are a flush mounted light outlet in the front bumper, and it's wired for lights throughout the Jeep.

If you have a JK with an automatic transmission, you can tow it with the transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral, and key removed. The steering will not lock while being towed. I also have an adapter to compensate for the height of the Jeep.

I flat towed the Jeep all the way from Florida to Moab for the 2016 EJS and she towed beautifully!

Here is my setup:

View attachment 243367 View attachment 243368 View attachment 243371 View attachment 243372 View attachment 243374 View attachment 243375 View attachment 243376

We have a Tiffin Allegro Bus as well. It's a 2013, 43'. We have our 2016 JKUR set up for flat towing as well. I installed an AirForce One supplemental braking system, and it is a sweet set up. I decided to get a short 14' flat trailer to tow the 2015 JK that I recently completed (if you can ever say you are done). I really like the convenience of flat towing, but wanted to try to "be a bit easier" on the Jeep by trailering it. We also travel across the country, and having a disabled vehicle that can not be towed caused me concern. EJS will be our first trip with the new rig and trailer, so I will have a good idea of the choice I made. I know it will be a pain to find a spot to put the trailer at destinations, and I added a tow hitch to the Jeep as I KNOW we will find ourselves needing to maneuver the trailer and that won't happen with the Bus.

IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg

Last edited:

2011jk

Dam, living the life...I've been wanting a 42' Country Coach Affinity since 2002..their finally getting cheep enough to get one. Only issue now is the $$ to feed it:eek:.

Someday ...

scrota76

Anyone towing with the Ford F-450 V10? I'm not a 1%er, so i couldn't afford the 450 HP diesel pictured above, yeah I'm jealous. I have a 33' and it has a 5000 lb hitch. I just don't know if i have the juice to tow a Jeep JKU.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

I decided to get a short 14' flat trailer to tow the 2015 JK that I recently completed (if you can ever say you are done). I really like the convenience of flat towing, but wanted to try to "be a bit easier" on the Jeep by trailering it. We also travel across the country, and having a disabled vehicle that can not be towed caused me concern.
I think you made a wise decision. I have no experience since we have a fifth wheel but we are strongly reconsidering now that we have a Jeep. Looking at moving to a Super C and if that happens I would certainly tow a trailer for a variety of reasons...broken rig, tire wear on Jeep vs trailer, etc. I can see it being a little bit of a pain finding a spot for the trailer on occasion but still worth it in the long run I think.

p38

Caught the Bug
Very nice set-up. I just did the EJS in Moab, trailered my jeep behind my F250 6.7. I have a Featherlite 18' 3110 flatbed trailer. No problems going up and over the Sierras, and was able to run 75-80 through NV and UT. Stayed in a motel, but spent quite a bit of time in the evenings outside by the truck/trailer enjoying a cigar and a cocktail. So, started thinking about ways to make that a bit more comfortable. Looking at RV's, what I have found so far, the Allegro Bus offers the shortest RV with the most HP and towing capacity. My jeep will not flat tow, so I am stuck with 20' of trailer; a 40' RV puts me too close to the max vehicle limits here in CA. The 37' Allegro looks like a good choice. Would you have any comments on what to look for, do you stay in the RV at jeep events or in a motel, any reason why this is a bad choice?

Thanks

HoosierWolf

Anyone towing with the Ford F-450 V10? I'm not a 1%er, so i couldn't afford the 450 HP diesel pictured above, yeah I'm jealous. I have a 33' and it has a 5000 lb hitch. I just don't know if i have the juice to tow a Jeep JKU.

Sorry replied to the wrong post. Try this again.

I've been looking into this and I think you are pushing the limits with the V10. I think they are only rated for 5000 lbs (and that includes all the stuff you are hauling). Because of this I've been looking pretty hard at diesel Super Cs like the Thor 35 footers. I really want 10k towing capacity and an RV 30 ft or under but I don't think it is made expect super expensive stuff like Earth Roamers. You may want to check out the Thor diesel super Cs.

jk-pabe

I have a 30' Ford F-450, V10 motor home that we flat tow our 4d jk. Our RV can tow up to 7500 lbs. I don't even feel it behind us! I use a road master tow bar along with the Patriot braking system. 20161105_160849.jpg

HoosierWolf

JK-Pabe - Nice! I'm really wanting to stay under 30 ft myself. I may need to go check these out. 7500 lbs would work nicely even if I add on a couple dirt bikes.

jk-pabe

JK-Pabe - Nice! I'm really wanting to stay under 30 ft myself. I may need to go check these out. 7500 lbs would work nicely even if I add on a couple dirt bikes.
The model of RV we have came in two chassis the Chevy was rated to tow 5,000 lbs and the Ford chassis is rated for 7,500 lbs.

HoosierWolf

Thank you for the info. I'm going to be doing a lot of RV shopping in the next year while we make some decision. This really helps.

JKbrick

Thank you for the info. I'm going to be doing a lot of RV shopping in the next year while we make some decision. This really helps.

A friend of mine has a motor home for sale in Ft Wayne, your in Indy? I'll be in Indy over the weekend but if you want details of it I can get them for you monday

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Our is 38 ft with GM 8.1 L and Allison transmission rated to tow 6000 lbs. Today was our first small voyage with the Jeep in tow. All went pretty smoothly. Saturday we will give it a much bigger test and head out to BC IMG_0897.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is our set up, I installed the wiring kit from Jeep for the brake/turn/running lights, installed a M&G Brake System (very slick!!) and Rock Hard Connects on the bumper to attach to the Demco Tow Bar. IMG_0499.jpg

Top Bottom