Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

Knows a Thing or Two Thegreenmachine12's Avatar

Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

As many of you know, the Wrangler is the preferred tow vehicle of choice because of just how little you have to modify it to tow behind a motorhome.

I tow my 2012 behind my motorhome, which is a 2014 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Bus 45LP with the 8.9 ISL 450hp Cummins diesel.

The only modifications I currently have done to my Jeep for flat towing are a flush mounted light outlet in the front bumper, and it's wired for lights throughout the Jeep.

If you have a JK with an automatic transmission, you can tow it with the transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral, and key removed. The steering will not lock while being towed. I also have an adapter to compensate for the height of the Jeep.

I flat towed the Jeep all the way from Florida to Moab for the 2016 EJS and she towed beautifully!

Here is my setup:

IMG_2851.jpgIMG_2858.jpgIMG_2880.jpgIMG_2887.jpgIMG_2889.jpgIMG_2903.jpgIMG_2892.jpg
    Last edited by Thegreenmachine12; 02-10-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    2012 Gecko JKU
    Dynatrac PR80 rear & PR60 front, 6.2L LS3 430HP swap, 6" Teraflex longarm, ATX Slabs, 37" Goodyears

It's a Wayalife!

Been Around the Block MrEmmDubya's Avatar
    Now that is a fun setup.... A cabin that you take to the places you want to drive your Jeep.

Great looking setup! What hitch system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks great. Any reason you choose to flat tow instead of on a trailer?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Thegreenmachine12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    Looks great. Any reason you choose to flat tow instead of on a trailer?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Flat towing is easier! The moment you arrive, it's only about 2 minutes to have the Jeep disconnected and ready to drive!
    2012 Gecko JKU
    Dynatrac PR80 rear & PR60 front, 6.2L LS3 430HP swap, 6" Teraflex longarm, ATX Slabs, 37" Goodyears

It's a Wayalife!

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenmachine12 View Post
    As many of you know, the Wrangler is the preferred tow vehicle of choice because of just how little you have to modify it to tow behind a motorhome.

I tow my 2012 behind my motorhome, which is a 2014 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Bus 45LP with the 8.9 ISL 450hp Cummins diesel.

The only modifications I currently have done to my Jeep for flat towing are a flush mounted light outlet in the front bumper, and it's wired for lights throughout the Jeep.

If you have a JK with an automatic transmission, you can tow it with the transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral, and key removed. The steering will not lock while being towed. I also have an adapter to compensate for the height of the Jeep.

I flat towed the Jeep all the way from Florida to Moab for the 2016 EJS and she towed beautifully!

Here is my setup:

IMG_2851.jpgIMG_2858.jpgIMG_2880.jpgIMG_2887.jpgIMG_2889.jpgIMG_2903.jpgIMG_2892.jpg

We have a Tiffin Allegro Bus as well. It's a 2013, 43'. We have our 2016 JKUR set up for flat towing as well. I installed an AirForce One supplemental braking system, and it is a sweet set up. I decided to get a short 14' flat trailer to tow the 2015 JK that I recently completed (if you can ever say you are done). I really like the convenience of flat towing, but wanted to try to "be a bit easier" on the Jeep by trailering it. We also travel across the country, and having a disabled vehicle that can not be towed caused me concern. EJS will be our first trip with the new rig and trailer, so I will have a good idea of the choice I made. I know it will be a pain to find a spot to put the trailer at destinations, and I added a tow hitch to the Jeep as I KNOW we will find ourselves needing to maneuver the trailer and that won't happen with the Bus.

IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    Last edited by LarryG; 02-26-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    2016 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 Project 2 door- Flat busted

Been Around the Block
    Dam, living the life...I've been wanting a 42' Country Coach Affinity since 2002..their finally getting cheep enough to get one. Only issue now is the $$ to feed it.

Someday ...

Joining the club March 5 when I pick up my "new to me" motorhome

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Anyone towing with the Ford F-450 V10? I'm not a 1%er, so i couldn't afford the 450 HP diesel pictured above, yeah I'm jealous. I have a 33' and it has a 5000 lb hitch. I just don't know if i have the juice to tow a Jeep JKU.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I decided to get a short 14' flat trailer to tow the 2015 JK that I recently completed (if you can ever say you are done). I really like the convenience of flat towing, but wanted to try to "be a bit easier" on the Jeep by trailering it. We also travel across the country, and having a disabled vehicle that can not be towed caused me concern.
    I think you made a wise decision. I have no experience since we have a fifth wheel but we are strongly reconsidering now that we have a Jeep. Looking at moving to a Super C and if that happens I would certainly tow a trailer for a variety of reasons...broken rig, tire wear on Jeep vs trailer, etc. I can see it being a little bit of a pain finding a spot for the trailer on occasion but still worth it in the long run I think.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast