Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

Knows a Thing or Two TrailHunter's Avatar
    Cool thread... I was just talking about this today... I would like to flat tow mine a couple times a Year with a rental RV:
    1. Can I hook up directly to an EVO 1/4 bumper?
    2. What is the best tow kit to buy?
    3. Is there a specific wiring kit I need?
    4. Does the Rv need to have special wiring? Meaning a rental will not be equipped...?

Sorry for all the questions... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    Cool thread... I was just talking about this today... I would like to flat tow mine a couple times a Year with a rental RV:
    4. Does the Rv need to have special wiring? Meaning a rental will not be equipped...?

1. You need a spot on your evo 1/4 to attach mounts, Check out Rock Hard, they make specific mounts for various brands of tow bars
    2. I use Demco, works great, been using their products for 10+ years behind 2 different motorhomes
    3. Jeep sells a kit #82211156AB that plugs into existing wiring harness under dash for brake/turn/running lights
    4. If the RV has a trailer towing package then u can pull your jeep as long as the RV has a combined rating to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Boondocker Farms View Post
    1. You need a spot on your evo 1/4 to attach mounts, Check out Rock Hard, they make specific mounts for various brands of tow bars
    2. I use Demco, works great, been using their products for 10+ years behind 2 different motorhomes
    3. Jeep sells a kit #82211156AB that plugs into existing wiring harness under dash for brake/turn/running lights
    4. If the RV has a trailer towing package then u can pull your jeep as long as the RV has a combined rating to do so
    Perfect... That will get me going on my searches! Thank you so much!

On 1. If you have d ring mounts on your Evo 1/4, you could do what I did. I bought a tow bar that has adjustable arms and adapters to mount the bar to the d ring tabs. I have the warrior products adapters.

Not sure on the others as I have a wireless brake light setup and just tow the cj around with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Breer View Post
    On 1. If you have d ring mounts on your Evo 1/4, you could do what I did. I bought a tow bar that has adjustable arms and adapters to mount the bar to the d ring tabs. I have the warrior products adapters.

Not sure on the others as I have a wireless brake light setup and just tow the cj around with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I’ll look into that... thanks!!

Make sure towing is permitted by the rental company upfront. A lot of them do not allow this. I looked into a rental a couple years ago and ran into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Make sure towing is permitted by the rental company upfront. A lot of them do not allow this. I looked into a rental a couple years ago and ran into this.
    For Sure... thanks

23844451_10155663225571206_8755658269704624127_n.jpg
    Maybe this is an option for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Boondocker Farms View Post
    Maybe this is an option for ya
    HAHA! .... I have a buddy that would totally do that.

Fresh Catch
    I bought the '15 JKU to tow behind our motorhome when we retired

IMG_1765.jpg

2012 Newmar 38' Dutch Star.

Took it on a 4 month trip and really enjoyed having the jeep. Big Bend, Tucson, Death Valley, Mt Ranier in the snow to name a few places

We decided to downsize the RV and got a Roadtrek Sprinter based. It could tow the Jeep but the tow capacity is 5000 lbs, too close to the Jeep weight, especially when we go across the Rockies. It also had some persistant electrical issues.

We just traded the Roadtrek for a Dynamax Isata 5. Built on a Ram 5500 chassis. Cummins power and 10000 # towing. We won't get until late spring, plan on going to Moab on our first big trip.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast