M416 -b1

Rubicon310

Not a jeep build but I've seen others put their m416 builds in this section.

In late December of last year, I picked up a 1965 M416 trailer. This trailer is the B1 model that was used by the Marines.

The M416, the last of the military 1/4 ton Jeep trailers, can be distinguished from earlier 1/4 ton trailers by its squared fenders. The M416B1 used the smaller 6.00 X 16 tires on M422 wheels because it was designed to be towed by the USMC M422 'Mighty Mite' instead of the M151 that towed the M416's and M416A1's.
In addition to the smaller tires, the M416B1 also had lifting rings for airborne operations and jerry can mounts on each side. Approximately 2000 M416B1 trailers were ever built.

I picked the trailer up for 150.00 dollars but it's in rough rough shape. The floor needs to be replaced, the rear panel was cut out and the front panel is banged up pretty bad. The frame is in excellent shape. The trailer has the original axle and hand brake.

My goal is to replace the bad panels, upgrade the wheels, add a lid and RTT and go out and explore. I'll update this thread as I work on the trailer. With the limited time that I have, I'm guessing it'll take me 3-4 months to complete. IMG_8498.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

These trailers are so capable. Mine is set up with an rtt and all the other goodies. The wife and I can bug out easily for a week at time with ours and be very comfortable.

Rubicon310

IMG_8406.jpg IMG_8483.jpg IMG_8486.jpg IMG_8488.jpg

Pulled the body from the frame yesterday and purchased 14g diamond plate floor. Hoping to have the original floor plasma cut out and have the new floor welded in by late next week. I'll begin stripping the frame of broken bolts, wires and it'll go to the sand blast shop.

Rubicon310

Working on extending the tongue this cold/ wet morning. IMG_8695.jpg

Also, ordered the Max Coupler and a tongue box. IMG_8646.jpg

Hope to have the tongue done by next week. I need to pick up 5 feet of hitch receiver tube.

Rubicon310

For those of you that are professional fabricators, I have a question regarding the tongue extension.

I have found two designs online that I could use. I'm not sure which is strongest but for those of you that have more knowledge than me, which design will be strongest?

The middle tube is a hitch receiver tube. My first idea was to run it all the way to the first crossbar on the trailer frame. The other design doesn't go that far and is supported by the A frame.

The yellow dots are 5/8 inch grade 8 bolts. The rest is labeled. IMG_8699.jpg IMG_8701.jpg

Journeyman

I would think the first pic design would be stronger. I would even consider tying the first two cross members together. I think the first would also give you more load strength for the tongue box

black pearl

Hooked
For those of you that are professional fabricators, I have a question regarding the tongue extension.

I have found two designs online that I could use. I'm not sure which is strongest but for those of you that have more knowledge than me, which design will be strongest?

The middle tube is a hitch receiver tube. My first idea was to run it all the way to the first crossbar on the trailer frame. The other design doesn't go that far and is supported by the A frame.

The yellow dots are 5/8 inch grade 8 bolts. The rest is labeled. View attachment 245953 View attachment 245954

When I built one of my trailers I ran the center bar all the way the the trailer

jkrichard

Im not a professioal but, I like the top photo beause it will support the tool box in the middle as well as offer more support at the front cross member. When I built the frame on my trailer I made it similar to your top photo.

That said depending on the size of the tubing your using, it'll likely be more Than enough either way to support the weight of the trailer.

Rubicon310

Great! I'll go with the first design. The "A" frame tubes are 1/8 inch wall.

The center tube has to be hitch receiver tube so that it works with the Max Coupler.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the first design. Should be done by next week. Then off to the sand blast shop.

Journeyman

Great! I'll go with the first design. The "A" frame tubes are 1/8 inch wall.

The center tube has to be hitch receiver tube so that it works with the Max Coupler.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the first design. Should be done by next week. Then off to the sand blast shop.

You've probably already figured the tongue length. But just a reminder in case you've missed it. Make sure your tongue length is long enough so that you can open the rear of the jeep completely. I got lucky on mine. Tongue was plenty long, but then I added a spare tire and a fuel can and the tailgate barely cleared to open all the way.

Rubicon310

You've probably already figured the tongue length. But just a reminder in case you've missed it. Make sure your tongue length is long enough so that you can open the rear of the jeep completely. I got lucky on mine. Tongue was plenty long, but then I added a spare tire and a fuel can and the tailgate barely cleared to open all the way.

Yes! Actually I was waiting on making the tongue until I received my LoD power tank bracket. I wanted to mount my tank and bracket before taking final measurements. Also I purchased a tongue box. I have everything I need now and the tongue will be long enough so that when the power tank is mounted, I can open the jeep door all the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom