Towing Equipment and Safety

Now with the creation of the tow rigs thread, I figured I would create a sub thread on towing safety and must have equipment for towing!

So what items do you always have with you when towing?

When I am taking a trailer a long distance, I keep at least two spare tires, some extra ropes and chains, some grease, a light toolbox, extra light bulbs for the taillights, and at least one replacement hub for the trailer if need be.

What do you carry?

LarryG

What I carry

Too much! I have what could be called a "shop" in the bays of my Motorhome. Way more than I could list. I try to be "self sufficient" and being able to change a tire on a tag axle Motorhome is no small task. Adding stuff for the tow vehicle is really not adding anything more than I already have at hand. You can't be prepared for EVERY situation, but having belts, hoses, fluids, and some "known" usual suspects as spare parts make me feel better.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I don't tow, very often, but you need to make sure you have a jack, that will lift the trailer. You also need a lug wrench that will fit the trailer tires. A few wooden blocks are helpful, also. They can be used a jacking implements, and wheel chocks, if needed. I know this sounds simple, and silly to some of you, but trust me, it isn't if you've ever ridden with someone that isn't prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tumbleweed

It is amazing and befuddling to me that anyone would pull a trailer without a spare tire & the tools to change a flat.

I like the Camco Trailer-Aid Plus for lifting the tires. It can also be used as a wheel chock.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It is amazing and befuddling to me that anyone would pull a trailer without a spare tire & the tools to change a flat.

I like the Camco Trailer-Aid Plus for lifting the tires. It can also be used as a wheel chock.

There are all kinds out there. Anyone can buy a trailer. It's like sometimes, when you wonder how some people even got a driver's license.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Duct tape, a couple Crescent wrenches, regular and giant size zip ties, heavy rope, extra ratchet straps, grease, wood blocks, wire, flashlight and a pipe wrench.

Top Bottom