So, I test drove a JKU today...

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
The blonde in my life keeps offering a new Jeep JKUR for me, because she hates the TJ (I think the rough ride and loud noises build character... some women are weird, but she's awesome for even thinking about offering me a new Jeep!).

I test drove a JKU Sport S a couple of weeks ago. I liked (more than liked) everything about it except for a few things. One was the way the clutch felt like a feather when I'd put the Jeep into gear. The second was how the engine torque wouldn't move the Jeep forward like my 4.0L engine does without stepping on the accelerator. And third was the anti-roll back function.

So, a second test drive, and the clutch still feels to light and doesn't give the feed back or torque of the TJ. The anti-roll back thing I can probably overlook, but it isn't something I'd have wanted being somewhat a purist about my manual transmission.

Am I silly for not wanting the Jeep so much because of the clutch and seeming lack of torque in low end rpms? I was planning a build of the TJ that started going well into low five digits, which would make it an awesome rig without the $45k price tag of a JKUR. I know I've brought this quandary up before and backed off because of the money and me helping my daughters with college, but I'm pretty well able to take on the payments.

WJCO

Meme King
I've never liked manuals for SUVs or Trucks although they do give you more control over the gearing, especially on hills. So get an automatic and your problem will be solved. :D

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I've never liked manuals for SUVs or Trucks although they do give you more control over the gearing, especially on hills. So get an automatic and your problem will be solved. :D

I left that out. I told the salesman that I might do that. But again, I started out life playing on my dad's CJ3, and my first Jeep was a 1978 CJ5 3 speed 308ci (they didn't have auto transmissions until the CJ7 came out with the longer wheelbase). I've had trucks and other SUVs both manual and auto.

There's downsides to both manual and auto. I'm more inclined to get a manual, but the TJ is actually more fun to drive on that one point than the JK. Plus, I do a lot of mixed driving of highway, city and back country roads (no off-roaring lately). It's eating me up having these first world problems.

Last edited:

Eugene

Same here. My cars are manuals but I never even considered a manual for the Jeep.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Same here. My cars are manuals but I never even considered a manual for the Jeep.

As part of the city driving I do, just getting on to some of the major streets in Philadelphia means I want to have that added option of being able to have a faster standing start. People around here drive like assholes. I do too out of self preservation. If you've ever tried to merge on to I-95 around here, or get onto Roosevelt Boulevard, you'd know what I mean. Many people here are aggressive and drive like their hair is on fire and their ass is catching.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Another reason for wanting the manual: my millennial kids can't drive it. They won't even ask to.

gheller

I have a 2017 Willys JKU 6spd manual and am very happy with it although I know what you mean about it feeling like the torque won't roll the Jeep until you get on the gas a bit.
The Sport you test drove likely had 3:21 gearing which wouldn't help at all with torque. A Rubicon manual with 4:10 gearing should feel a lot better, and you could always re gear even further down the road to increase your torque even more.
As for anti roll/ hill start assist you have the option of turning it off if you don't want it. I tried turning it off but I didn't notice a difference except when on a steep grade.

Lastly, there is a manufacturer that makes a heavier fly wheel for the manuals and supposedly it makes it feel like you couldn't stall it if you tried, but at the expense of some power.

I have 3:73 gearing and 32" MT tires and I feel a bit under geared but still comfortable with my 6 spd.
Eventually I'd like to re gear to at least 4:56 and think that would allow me to roll off without hitting the gas.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have a manual JKUR

You can turn off the hill start assist. I did when I took delivery of the jeep, and haven't given it a second thought aside from using it to teach my wife how to drive stick.

I've never owned an automatic transmission vehicle until my cherokee, and to be honest, I could not wait to get out of the Cherokee because of it. So my vote is for the manual trans.

Yes the clutch is light, but you will get used to that.

The 3.6 is a completely different animal from the 4.0 of the past. But out of curiosity, what gears were in the sport you were driving? The rubicon should come standard (with manual trans anyway) with 4.10 axle ratio, and that helps a LOT in my opinion.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Driving a manual in traffic blows. I like manuals but like others said, not in trucks/SUV's

I'd have to agree. I have always been a manual purist. I've owned manual trucks, vettes, a 350Z and a manual CJ7. I love the engaged feeling. The bottom line for me is these new autos make life so much easier, especially off road. And I like that my wife can easily drive it. When the wife is on board and gets the opportunity to drive it on trails too, it's way easier when it comes time to modify. If I ever got another sports car or a muscle car, manual all the way. My Jeeps though, auto from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

I'm not troubled at all with my manual in traffic, and I'm in Brooklyn New York but I understand that it can be a pain.

The only thing I regret with a manual is plowing over snow and parking in it. It seems I have to slip the clutch a lot to maintain control over wheel spin and such. I'd imagine it's the same if I were rock crawling.
My thinking is though that if I eventually re gear to 4:56 those situations would be less troublesome.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

As far as hill assist, I find it only engages on steep inclines and only when I have depressed the brake firmly. Its really a non issue for me as far as normal driving goes. Might as well leave it on.

Bigjimbo

My '12 has hill assist. I don't mind it. Some days I wish I had an auto, but on those days I'd prefer it to have self drive too.

If I bought again, I'd still get a manual.

Coop

Caught the Bug
As gheller clearly pointed out, the gearing is significantly influencing the torque applied to the rear wheels. One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the weight difference between a TJ and a JKU. It's a big difference. I love the 4.0, but the 3.6 is an excellent engine, and a 4.0 in the JKU would not do noticeably better. Go drive a Rubi with a manual and 4.10 and I think you will be surprised. I suggest keeping the TJ and getting the Rubi. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom