Manual vs. Automatic

Dprochef

Just curious as to what everyone runs and why. I just got a 2017 JKU manual ( my first ever manual). I figured with a Jeep, I had to go basic. Although I love it, I see some performance issues/problems that I could run into. Although this is mainly my DD.

Mainly the time that the wheels spin at top speed to get out of a situation mud/searching for traction. I hate to see the Rpms go through the roof before I can gear up.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Just curious as to what everyone runs and why. I just got a 2017 JKU manual ( my first ever manual). I figured with a Jeep, I had to go basic. Although I love it, I see some performance issues/problems that I could run into. Although this is mainly my DD.

Mainly the time that the wheels spin at top speed to get out of a situation mud/searching for traction. I hate to see the Rpms go through the roof before I can gear up.

I run a manual. Just so happened the Jeep we liked was a manual so we got it. I grew up on manuals, I had a Blazer with a 700r4 but that's it. I feel like there's not a disadvantage with the manual with the 4:1 but probably because I'm so used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2016WillysJKU

There's no reason you can't shift it into a proper gear in the mud just like an auto. You just have to be quick about it.

Patrick

I've always been a purist. 20 years off-road experience tells me manual all the way. Then I bought a 2013 Jk Rubi. Went to extreme off road event in France when it was 1 month old. Rain. Mud. Aweful conditions. Broke front bumper when a tree slid into me. Green runs were black. Blacks were almost impossible . We had a great time. New jeep was auto and I was in D all day, low box of course. Wow. Very very impressed. Just ordered 2017 JKUR with auto box.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_2381.jpg

Oscar E

15-20 years ago manual. Technology has come along ways. Automatic for sure. You can still down shift if you need to on the automatic. You can concentrate on the trail instead of your shifting.

MR.H83

Auto here, I've had plenty of manuals in my life, but prefer an automatic with low gearing in the technical stuff. Less worrying about the clutch, etc. Lets you concentrate on the trail/obstacles.

Sent from my LG-H901 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackDiamond_JKU

Do NOT* shift gears in deep water / mud, let me say this again DO NOT SHIFT GEARS IN DEEP MUD; our JK's have vents in the bell housing that will suck a bunch of shit in when you disengage the clutch. If you get stuck, toss it in low, and shift without using the clutch. If you need to reverse, kill your motor, shift into reverse without the clutch, and start it back up. Yes, the starter will turn you over in 4lo.
I've owned two manual JK's, including my current unlimited.

Now, I love my manuals. They rock, you'll get used to them after a while, re-gearing makes a world of difference too. I'm currently running 4.88's with 37's, but I'm jumping to 5.13's here next month.
For me, wheeling in a manual is more fun, but that's all up to the pilot really. I can see how an auto could be preferred by some, but there's just something so raw about a 6 speed jeep.
Also, it's a great millennial anti theft device [emoji23]

----------------
2016 JKUR

“Our Country won’t go on forever if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America; because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

Dprochef

Do NOT* shift gears in deep water / mud, let me say this again DO NOT SHIFT GEARS IN DEEP MUD; our JK's have vents in the bell housing that will suck a bunch of shit in when you disengage the clutch. If you get stuck, toss it in low, and shift without using the clutch. If you need to reverse, kill your motor, shift into reverse without the clutch, and start it back up. Yes, the starter will turn you over in 4lo.
I've owned two manual JK's, including my current unlimited.

Now, I love my manuals. They rock, you'll get used to them after a while, re-gearing makes a world of difference too. I'm currently running 4.88's with 37's, but I'm jumping to 5.13's here next month.
For me, wheeling in a manual is more fun, but that's all up to the pilot really. I can see how an auto could be preferred by some, but there's just something so raw about a 6 speed jeep.
Also, it's a great millennial anti theft device [emoji23]

----------------
2016 JKUR

“Our Country won’t go on forever if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America; because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

Off topic- Just curious as to how expensive it is to re-gear. I have 3.73 gears and don't feel it is enough for my 35's. Feels a bit sluggish. What would you recommend and how much do they run ( professionally installed). Just thought I would ask

WJCO

Meme King
Off topic- Just curious as to how expensive it is to re-gear. I have 3.73 gears and don't feel it is enough for my 35's. Feels a bit sluggish. What would you recommend and how much do they run ( professionally installed). Just thought I would ask

For both axles parts and labor, typically around 1500ish. That includes gears, bearings, races, crush sleeves, pinion seal. Does not include axle seals.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Kind of late to be asking this being that you already bought your Jeep with a manual. Just wheel it and enjoy it :yup:

Regearing can be had for as little as a grand if you can find a shop like Off Road Evolution who has a great deal on them but typically, it'll costs more like $1500-$2000.

Dprochef

Just to set the record straight, I don't really have buyers remorse on the manual. I was mainly up late on a Sunday and wondering. I wouldn't return it for a auto if I could. Maybe for a Rubi ( that's another topic [emoji2]). But I really do enjoy the feel of control I get in my manual.

I do appreciate all the responses. May have to think about gears in for next years build.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug

Toby at TORC Motorsports in Omaha (90th/L area) can re-gear your Jeep for probably under $800.00. :)

rsbad454

Auto here, I'm tired of shifting gears. Every car I owned was a manual. My 2010 Camaro SS and 2005 GTO are both manual, but pulling a trailer or trail driving I like autos.

azyjjk

I had a 92 YJ with a manual for 20 years. Now I have a 12 JKR with an auto and at 76 years old would never go back. When I was younger, loved the manual. The modern autos are really nice.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Offroad Evolution had/has a special for about $1000, I have seen others on here say they were quoted as high as $2500. Kind of expensive so if you ever plan on bigger tires just gear for them now rather than pay for it twice. 4.88 or 5.13 are most likely your best bet.

Top Bottom