Evo plush rides + Fox 2.0 IFP's = wallowy ride w/ "head toss"

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've swapped out my rock krawler 2.5 springs for Evo 3" plush rides. I wanted another inch of lift and the rears were saggy. With the added lift, I swapped out the my shorter Fox 2.0 IPF's for the longer 4-6" lift versions and did the EVO drag link flip. The height and travel is right, but my ride, while softer, is what I can only describe as wallowy. When I initiate a turn, I get quite a bit more body roll. When on roads where the right edge undulates like where side streets comes in, I get a big dip and "head toss". It's almost like I'm going to get sea sick! I'm somewhat missing the tighter ride of the RK springs. Hmmm... I'm thinking it might be a shock mis-match for the spring rate.

I guess my options are to try another shock (EVO valved King 2.5's) ($2000), try rock krawler 3.5" springs with current shocks ($360), or save up and ditch it all for EVO bolt on coilers with additional spring rate in the rear ($3600). This is starting to get expensive...

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Changing your shocks won't eliminate that body roll your feeling. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to coils that are "softer". An adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000s might help you find a good medium but probably not enough to warrant their purchase.

zimm

Caught the Bug
How tall are your shocks?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did a lot of measuring and these are the shocks I'm running. The first number is travel, then collapsed and then extended length. They should be perfect when I measure full bump vs collapsed and also when flexed out to full extension, everything looks great.

FOX-980-24-641 Front 11.1" 17.15" 28.25"
FOX-980-24-642 Rear 10.6" 17.35" 27.95"

On the springs, I'm running a 1/2" spacer on the front passenger side. Front is level. On the rear, I started with 1" spacers, but since the driver's side rear is 3/4" taller than the passenger, I'm going to swap that spacer out for a 1/2" one.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Changing your shocks won't eliminate that body roll your feeling. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to coils that are "softer". An adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000s might help you find a good medium but probably not enough to warrant their purchase.

Well if others with EVO coils have about the same experience, I can save some money on the shocks then. I'll hold onto my money until after the next off-road trip and see how they do. If the street ride keeps bothering me, I may go back to the RK 3.5. Maybe a 4.5 in the rear since they sag so much. Someday I'll get some coil overs so I can dial in exactly what I want.

Here's how she's sitting with that back driver's corner 3/4" too high. I do want the rear a little higher as I pull a camper and don't want it to squat too much.

Untitled

BaddestCross

The Plush Rides are soft and it took me some trial and error to get the shocks set to a happy medium. I run the Rancho 9k, and if you're going to get new shocks, I'd highly recommend them. I enjoy a soft ride, personally, but the adjustability - particularly in the rear - is wonderful because of the weight changes due to removing seats or hard top.

I live with some extra body roll for the softer ride in the front, but you crank up the shock adjustment and it feels like it rides on rails if that's your cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Would not longer shocks create more body roll?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Shock length should have nothing to do with roll. Shock length limits up and down extreme travel. The dampening should be same no matter where the piston is in the tube. Of course I'm not talking about bypass shocks here.

aermotor

Stupid question, your sway bar is connected, yes? Even though your light is off.

I have run the 4" EVO plush coils for neigh 6 years and they certainly don't behave how you are describing them. I have run them with Elka and King Shocks. My ride is firm, tight and sticky feeling, while also being very soft. Something seems amiss with your setup.

It sounds like a control arm bolt could be missing or sway bars are not setup right. I somehow had a rear lower control arm bolt come out and I had a similar feeling. Unless the RK springs are like rocks and that's what you've become accustomed to.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
The sways are definitely bolted on. Not sure how to check if it's electrically connected- I guess I could unbolt one end and see if it moves.

Here's the links- I took this pic just now.

IMG_5653

chipper

On the springs, I'm running a 1/2" spacer on the front passenger side. Front is level. On the rear, I started with 1" spacers, but since the driver's side rear is 3/4" taller than the passenger, I'm going to swap that spacer out for a 1/2" one.

Here's how she's sitting with that back driver's corner 3/4" too high. I do want the rear a little higher as I pull a camper and don't want it to squat too much.

Untitled

Am I reading this right?
You put a spacer on only one side and then another on the rear opposite side?
Not trying to be a smart mass here but that just might be your problem. Your driving down the road all outta wak.
I'm thinking your rear driver side is taller because the weight of the gas in your tank. Which is on the passenger side.
Take the spacers out or put them on both sides. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Am I reading this right?
You put a spacer on only one side and then another on the rear opposite side?
Not trying to be a smart mass here but that just might be your problem. Your driving down the road all outta wak.
I'm thinking your rear driver side is taller because the weight of the gas in your tank. Which is on the passenger side.
Take the spacers out or put them on both sides. I hope this helps

No. 1" spacers in rear. Both sides. I'm going to swap the drivers to a 1/2" to get rid of the lean. When done I'll have 1/2" more spacers all on passenger side to level Jeep. (1/2l front, 1" rear)

aermotor

The sways are definitely bolted on. Not sure how to check if it's electrically connected- I guess I could unbolt one end and see if it moves.

Yes I mean connected internally since you have a Rubicon. You also might need longer front sway bar links, they seem short to me maybe, not entirely sure on this. Check rear sway bar as well.

Not sure a good idea to run different ones on each side just to get rid of the lean.

Did you check to make sure you still have all of your control arm bolts?

jkris

I have heard of people adding spacers to get rid of the lean but when your tank is close to empty it will look to lean the other way. Not something I would do but to each his own. Personally I have just come to accept this lean. It makes my Jeep look gangsta.

madstiles

I was thinking sway bar also but looks good the one you took pictures of to me.
From the factory jeep has longer springs on passenger side for gas tank don't know about plush rides but might contact evo for opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

Honestly, the more I think about this the more I think someone didn't go back together right or isn't torqued right, or something new crept in, because I don't think springs alone are going to cause the very dramatic difference you are describing. Could be wrong, but something doesn't smell right.

I've used Rough Country Coils, Teraflex Coils, Rancho Coils and EVO Coils and none of them had much difference in the lateral stability issues you're saying.

Maybe because you only have a 3" coils and you added in 4-6" shocks that is causing a problem. Maybe the shocks can't work being that compressed. Have you tried to go back to your original shocks to see if that made any difference?

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
As Eddie always says, ride is 100% subjective. I prefer a softer ride, even though it isn't as tight in corners. You could really feel it on my old 2 door.

BaddestCross

The shocks could very well be bad. I know when my 9k's are set at zero and I'm running at speed on pavement it feels like I'm riding on an old school hobby horse when I turn or brake fast. 😂

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkrichard

I have the 4" plush rides and the fox 2.0 shocks in my 2 door. I went from sagged out BDS coils to these and notice the same thing. Ya my sway bar links are a little short now but I went from kidney punches on every bump in the road to riding a surf board, I do think adjustable shocks would help it to smooth out the sway but I am happier with not beating the crap of myself on bumps. The 2.0 shocks are a fairly high pressure shock and may 'push' enough to make it feel like it has a sway.

Jeepfan30

I actually wrote a similar post months ago, and coincidentally I have the same coils as you and swapped the shorter Fox shocks for the longer fox shocks. I think the longer Fox 2.0 shocks are valved different from the shorter version because I felt a difference as soon as I put them on. I was feeling the same head toss feel in low seed cornering. I had stock sway bar end links and have since put EVOsway bar end links on front and rear. The head toss feeling is pretty much gone now, might have had to do with the sway bar link bushings, stock are rubber and EVO are solid heim joint. I got my sway bar angles better also with the EVO links. Anyway, something to consider! Good luck.

Top Bottom