Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evo plush rides + Fox 2.0 IFP's = wallowy ride w/ "head toss"

Nothing but a Thing

Evo plush rides + Fox 2.0 IFP's = wallowy ride w/ "head toss"

I've swapped out my rock krawler 2.5 springs for Evo 3" plush rides. I wanted another inch of lift and the rears were saggy. With the added lift, I swapped out the my shorter Fox 2.0 IPF's for the longer 4-6" lift versions and did the EVO drag link flip. The height and travel is right, but my ride, while softer, is what I can only describe as wallowy. When I initiate a turn, I get quite a bit more body roll. When on roads where the right edge undulates like where side streets comes in, I get a big dip and "head toss". It's almost like I'm going to get sea sick! I'm somewhat missing the tighter ride of the RK springs. Hmmm... I'm thinking it might be a shock mis-match for the spring rate.

I guess my options are to try another shock (EVO valved King 2.5's) ($2000), try rock krawler 3.5" springs with current shocks ($360), or save up and ditch it all for EVO bolt on coilers with additional spring rate in the rear ($3600). This is starting to get expensive...
    Last edited by zimm; 02-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.

How tall are your shocks?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Changing your shocks won't eliminate that body roll your feeling. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to coils that are "softer". An adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000s might help you find a good medium but probably not enough to warrant their purchase.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    How tall are your shocks?

I did a lot of measuring and these are the shocks I'm running. The first number is travel, then collapsed and then extended length. They should be perfect when I measure full bump vs collapsed and also when flexed out to full extension, everything looks great.

FOX-980-24-641 Front 11.1" 17.15" 28.25"
    FOX-980-24-642 Rear 10.6" 17.35" 27.95"

On the springs, I'm running a 1/2" spacer on the front passenger side. Front is level. On the rear, I started with 1" spacers, but since the driver's side rear is 3/4" taller than the passenger, I'm going to swap that spacer out for a 1/2" one.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.Ty View Post
    Changing your shocks won't eliminate that body roll your feeling. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to coils that are "softer". An adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000s might help you find a good medium but probably not enough to warrant their purchase.
    Well if others with EVO coils have about the same experience, I can save some money on the shocks then. I'll hold onto my money until after the next off-road trip and see how they do. If the street ride keeps bothering me, I may go back to the RK 3.5. Maybe a 4.5 in the rear since they sag so much. Someday I'll get some coil overs so I can dial in exactly what I want.

Here's how she's sitting with that back driver's corner 3/4" too high. I do want the rear a little higher as I pull a camper and don't want it to squat too much.

Untitled

The Plush Rides are soft and it took me some trial and error to get the shocks set to a happy medium. I run the Rancho 9k, and if you're going to get new shocks, I'd highly recommend them. I enjoy a soft ride, personally, but the adjustability - particularly in the rear - is wonderful because of the weight changes due to removing seats or hard top.

I live with some extra body roll for the softer ride in the front, but you crank up the shock adjustment and it feels like it rides on rails if that's your cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Would not longer shocks create more body roll?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    Would not longer shocks create more body roll?

Shock length should have nothing to do with roll. Shock length limits up and down extreme travel. The dampening should be same no matter where the piston is in the tube. Of course I'm not talking about bypass shocks here.

Stupid question, your sway bar is connected, yes? Even though your light is off.

I have run the 4" EVO plush coils for neigh 6 years and they certainly don't behave how you are describing them. I have run them with Elka and King Shocks. My ride is firm, tight and sticky feeling, while also being very soft. Something seems amiss with your setup.

It sounds like a control arm bolt could be missing or sway bars are not setup right. I somehow had a rear lower control arm bolt come out and I had a similar feeling. Unless the RK springs are like rocks and that's what you've become accustomed to.
    Last edited by aermotor; 02-15-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Idiot with a JK

Nothing but a Thing
    The sways are definitely bolted on. Not sure how to check if it's electrically connected- I guess I could unbolt one end and see if it moves.

Here's the links- I took this pic just now.

IMG_5653

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast