35's or 37's that run small/lighter?

DaBank

I have 35" Toyo MT on my Rubicon with 5.13 gears and 3in lift. The set up has been on since new in 2010 and has 37k miles. I have never bent a axle and I do use this Jeep alot offroad. I don't beat it to death but I wheel it.
I need new tires so the question is do 37's increase the failure rate mode than 37's because of the rolling diameter or because of the wieght of the tires? Toyo's are heavy tires and run pretty true to there size. I was thinking about getting a lighter weight/size 37. Is my thinking completely wrong?

jb0215066

I do know that Toyo open countries are a very heavy tire. I think they are one of the heaviest. I am in a Sahara on 4:10 with 35 nittos but I run with almost all rubis with 37s. My good buddy is running 37" cooper stt pro on his jku with 5:13. He does have rcv in the front but doesn't seem to have any problems with it. And he can hold good speed on the highway.

deadguy

I know BFG km2s run pretty small and are pretty light as well. My old 35 setup with 15" alumimum wheels was some where in the range of 65-70 lbs. That being said I ran them for almost 70k and sold them with tread on them so I couldn't complain.

Sent from a guy with a jeep

Oscar E

I just went to 37" (cooper stt pro) from 35". Did not brake anything with the 35" and running Dana 30 on the front but is truss and gussets. Lots change when put the 37"; had to cut my front bumber for clearance, back body metal had to be trimmed. I installed a synergy sector shaft and track bar support bracket but the springs rube and had to replace the track bar wth synergys track bar clearance issues with the nut of the pitman arm.
My ride is smoother with the the 37" but am concerned that something will be breaking soon (Dana 30). I wish I would have stayed with 35" until I had a PR 44.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have 35" Toyo MT on my Rubicon with 5.13 gears and 3in lift. The set up has been on since new in 2010 and has 37k miles. I have never bent a axle and I do use this Jeep alot offroad. I don't beat it to death but I wheel it.
I need new tires so the question is do 37's increase the failure rate mode than 37's because of the rolling diameter or because of the wieght of the tires? Toyo's are heavy tires and run pretty true to there size. I was thinking about getting a lighter weight/size 37. Is my thinking completely wrong?

The larger diameter matters more than the weight. It has to do with more leverage being exerted on the shaft and housing. If you've ever used a breaker bar to loosen a bolt it's the same principle.

Last time I checked Toyos are like five - seven pounds heavier than other brands, not really a significant weight difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The larger diameter matters more than the weight. It has to do with more leverage being exerted on the shaft and housing. If you've ever used a breaker bar to loosen a bolt it's the same principle.

Last time I checked Toyos are like five - seven pounds heavier than other brands, not really a significant weight difference.

This ^^^ MR.Ty is spot on. Weight is NOT going to break things, the size of your tires WILL.

Wheatbackdigger

This....a few extra pounds in each corner isn't going to make a huge difference.

BlackDiamond_JKU

I know BFG km2s run pretty small and are pretty light as well. My old 35 setup with 15" alumimum wheels was some where in the range of 65-70 lbs. That being said I ran them for almost 70k and sold them with tread on them so I couldn't complain.

70k mikes on KM'2's
Holy shit dude
That's impressive.

This ^^^ MR.Ty is spot on. Weight is NOT going to break things, the size of your tires WILL.

I 3rd this statement
On the road you'll be fine, but you put 37's in a bind and hit the skinny pedal, that's a lot of leverage on parts that can snap crackle pop.

As for a "small or light" 37, I ran 37" BFG AT Ko2's on my raptor because I wanted a little bigger than a 35'' but not quite a 37" trail grap. If memory serves correct I believe they were just a tad over 35 mounted, or maybe 34, point being, they were about the lightest, smallest best road worthy AT in 37 I found.
They look pretty good too.
Given that you said you don't wheel much, this would be my recommendation

Jeepfan30

This is a great post, I've been wondering the same myself. My 35" Toyo MTs will be toast in about one year, I was considering upgrading to 37's but didn't know if weight or size was the issue. I am on Dana 30 gusseted with 4.56 gears, been fine for the last 35,000 miles. I don't think I wheel hard enough to justify 37's and the extra cost associated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great post, I've been wondering the same myself. My 35" Toyo MTs will be toast in about one year, I was considering upgrading to 37's but didn't know if weight or size was the issue. I am on Dana 30 gusseted with 4.56 gears, been fine for the last 35,000 miles. I don't think I wheel hard enough to justify 37's and the extra cost associated.

To play on 37's right, it takes a commitment and understanding that you WILL need to do significant up grades or know that you will break things. To me, 35's are the perfect size for JK running mostly stock parts.

pbujk13

As for a "small or light" 37, I ran 37" BFG AT Ko2's on my raptor because I wanted a little bigger than a 35'' but not quite a 37" trail grap. If memory serves correct I believe they were just a tad over 35 mounted, or maybe 34, point being, they were about the lightest, smallest best road worthy AT in 37 I found.

I concur, I am running 37 Ko2s on my JKU (90% DD) for the same reasons ( lightest, smallest, AT )

Oscar E

That's what I should have done silverbullet88. I rush the 37" looks great but something is going to give. Am currently looking for a Dana 44 to start building it the way I want.

deadguy

70k mikes on KM'2's
Holy shit dude
That's impressive.

I 3rd this statement
On the road you'll be fine, but you put 37's in a bind and hit the skinny pedal, that's a lot of leverage on parts that can snap crackle pop.

I'm crunching the numbers and it's more like 65k but still great. Always rotated every other oil change and rotated in the spare. This is right before I took them off for my coopers
IMG_20160316_160602376_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom