Towing camping trailers

raiderz628

I have a 2016 jk sport unlimited I go out exploring in Arizona and California it is my daily driver an I was wanting to get a pop up trailer to tow behind it to take the grandkids out has anyone towed one and how did it do looking at something around 3,000 pounds
Thanks for the help

black pearl

Hooked
How much you can tow depends on a few things I have a rubicon with a manual transmission I'm rated at 3500 but my buddy has a sport with a automatic and is rated at 2000

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I have a 2016 jk sport unlimited I go out exploring in Arizona and California it is my daily driver an I was wanting to get a pop up trailer to tow behind it to take the grandkids out has anyone towed one and how did it do looking at something around 3,000 pounds
Thanks for the help

We're also looking at trailers and I gotta tell ya, 3000# is a pretty good sized trailer. Like in the 19' range. A popup should be way under that.
There are a couple other threads here you may find helpful if you search for them. One of them has a link to a site that explains the dynamics of towing
a trailer and why you do NOT want to go over the capacity of your vehicle.

RedRum

I tow a ( loaded 3100 pound trailer ) with my rubicon on 35s with 4.10s and it isn't great but I've had no issues maintaining speed or getting where I need to go, I think regearing would really help though ... One thing I noticed in my searching was that for the price of a nice trailer in the weight class you could get a way nicer bigger trailer but they hit you where it hurts and make you pay for the quality and light weight materials lol Forrest river had a few nice pop up options but I ended up buying a used Starcraft hybrid
IMG_1465.jpg

raiderz628

I tow a ( loaded 3100 pound trailer ) with my rubicon on 35s with 4.10s and it isn't great but I've had no issues maintaining speed or getting where I need to go, I think regearing would really help though ... One thing I noticed in my searching was that for the price of a nice trailer in the weight class you could get a way nicer bigger trailer but they hit you where it hurts and make you pay for the quality and light weight materials lol Forrest river had a few nice pop up options but I ended up buying a used Starcraft hybrid
View attachment 244376

That looks great I go out with a 15 and a 4 year old grandchild I have custody of and want them to go out and enjoy the out doors but wife likes a bathroom and stuff I still have 3.73 gears might go a little slower on inclines I doubt if I would go over 35 tires I love your set up
Thank you

Last edited:

Kaylinator

I have been looking at them they look nice does the wife or women like it?
She loves it. She can tie it and set it up herself no problem. It literally takes more time to lower the jack and jack stands then it does to set up the trailer. There's a video on YouTube where he does it in like 45 seconds. Didn't think that could possibly be true until we tried it ourselves.

Pulls with a stock Sahara and a Cherokee Trailhawk like it isn't even there.

🇨🇦 eh?

zimm

Caught the Bug
After looking at pop ups, A-frames, and small travel trailers, we settled on a fiberglass trailer. I researched for a few years before deciding on our Casita 17'. It has a full bathroom, A/C, heat (110v and propane), hot water (110v or propane),, kitchen, bunk beds, and dinette that turns into a bed (we have 2 adults, 2 small kids). They have several layouts depending on your needs. The "best" are Escape out of British Columbia, but there's a 1 year wait for one, then Casita out of Rice, TX, then Scamp out of MI.

What it brings over a pop up: Way less set up, full bath, you can access trailer (use bathroom or stock fridge) without cranking up the roof, no canvas sides (wife was worried about bears or someone stealing the kids at night), less to break. They are way more aerodynamic than a stick built trailer too, and they last forever and hold their value.

The dry weight of ours is listed at 2250. I guess it's about 3000# loaded up for camping. It tows awesome, but I have a lift and aftermarket shocks, so I think that helps eliminate sway.

View attachment 244539

Last edited:

austin160

I tow a 2400# Flagstaff Mac 228D pop-up with a 2016 JKU Sport and 3.21 gears. It will get it down the road, up hills SUCKS, and don't try to start on a steep incline. Try to find a camper with electric brakes to help stop, mine has them and I can still tell its back there when braking.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Here is min with the 3.8 liter. I have towed it all the way from Rome NY to New Mexico to California back to Texas and then back to New Mexico. It was a long summer. Like stated before the mountains between Arizona and San Diego was slow going but other then that I cruised at 60 - 65. The trailer is at 3200 pounds. My weight limit is 3500 I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 302

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Reviving this thread. Anyway, how much weight do you guys think i can safely pull with my two door on slabs and 35s? Eventually regeared to 5.13. I have 4 door 18/59 springs in the rear so that has to help. Currently looking at the 15 or 17' ultra light campers.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Reviving this thread. Anyway, how much weight do you guys think i can safely pull with my two door on slabs and 35s? Eventually regeared to 5.13. I have 4 door 18/59 springs in the rear so that has to help. Currently looking at the 15 or 17' ultra light campers.

It's the wheelbase that limits your towing, which is why 2000 pounds is the max for a 2dr. I'd look into pop ups or a small a-frame.

Top Bottom