Back Up Camera (PAC BCI-CH21 w/ Raxiom)

Rubicon310

This is a write up for anyone interested in installing the PAC BCI-CH21 module with the Raxiom camera and bracket for 2007-2016 Jeep Wranglers with the 430n stereo. I'm sure it will work with other stereos but I don't have experience with them. I can only answer questions for the 430n touch screen stereo.

IMG_8589.jpg IMG_8591.JPG

I'll start this thread off by saying

1. I'm in no way affiliated with Pac Audio.

2. Out of respect to the forum owners, i will not list the website where this kit was purchased from.

3. The instructions that came with the kit are horrible, hard to follow and even after calling them directly, I was still confused.

This module works great if you plan on installing a backup camera and don't want to spend the 50-150 dollars at the dealer for a flash. It will also allow you to unlock the navigation while driving.

I will list the steps in order to make it easier to follow. Any questions you may have, please post here and I will be more than happy to help answer them.

Part 1

1. Remove the spare tire.

2. Mount the metal bracket on the studs and insert the camera into the bracket.

IMG_8590.JPG

3. Remove the oval rubber grommet on the gate located to the right side of the tire. Make a 1 inch slit along the top and insert the camera wire through.
••NOTE: Several people have used the same rubber grommet as the one for the third brake light, I found it easier to use the one on the right.

4. Remove the horizontal long plastic wire cover that is located inside of the tailgate.

5. Use a wire style clothes hanger and feed it through the outside hole on the gate that the oval rubber grommet was on and out through the inside of the gate towards the hinges.
••NOTE: I put a small bend at the end of the clothes hanger and cut it 1/3 the length. This was extremely easy to do.

6. Electrical tape the camera wire to the opposite end of the clothes hanger and SLOWLY pull the rest of the hanger through the holes, brining the camera wire into the gate.

Part 2

7. Connect the extension to the camera wires and run along the passenger side.
••NOTE: Plastic panels do not need to be removed. Lift carpet slightly as you bring the wire towards the front and tuck wire under carpet and between panels. Reinstall the plastic gate panel from step 4

8. Bring wire up passenger kick panel, behind glove box and into stereo area. NOTE: removing glove box will make it easier to get the wire into the stereo area.

Part 3

9. Remove plastic panel below steering wheel, remove 4 screws and pull dash panel. If you google how to remove stereo on JK, you will find many great videos on how to do this.

10. With the stereo out, unplug the factory harness ONLY.

11. Plug the gray BCI-CH21 harness where the factory radio harness was.

12. Plug the white BCI-CH21 AUX harness into other unused port in the head unit.

IMG_8027.jpg

13. Plug the factory radio harness into the gray BCI-CH21 harness.

IMG_8030.jpg

14. Disconnect the yellow RCA in the white BCI-CH21 Aux harness and connect the yellow male rca from the camera wire into the female plug.

15. Connect the red power wire from the camera to the red power wire on the gray BCI-CH21 harness. Find a good ground for the black wire from the camera and ground it.
••NOTE: I grounded mine to a screw on the metal plate located behind the stereo.

16. Lower the dip switches on the BCI-CH21 box for channel 1 and 2 NOTE: channel 1 unlocks the camera and channel 2 unlocks the navigation use while vehicle is in motion. The other two dip switches should be left in the up position.

17. Plug the white 20-pin plug and the 3 pin plug from the BCI-CH21 harness into the back of the BCI-CH21 box.

IMG_8029.jpg

18. I put the module in the pocket right behind the window switch. Plenty of room in there to access the box if needed in the future.

IMG_8031.jpg

19. Test and reinstall stereo and dash.

The backup camera should turn on when the vehicle is put into reverse. If towing a trailer and you would like to view the camera, hold the left side "preset" button on the steering control for 3 seconds.

To unlock the navigation while driving, hold down the right side "source" button for 3 seconds then again for another 2 seconds.

Hope this helps. Post here with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Nice. I'm curious. Is the camera connections proprietary? Could you use a different camera/camera mount?

JeepJeep75

Is your jeep manual or auto? I tried checking your profile, no luck. I have another brand of unlock box that claimed all the functions you have. Mine only turns camera on in reverse. No other options.

Rubicon310

Nice. I'm curious. Is the camera connections proprietary? Could you use a different camera/camera mount?

Any camera can be used with this kit. The wire loom that comes out of the camera consist of a yellow RCA, power and ground wire. The PAC wire Harness has a dedicated power line, a yellow RCA line and the ground wire will go to a ground.

So to answer your question, no the connection are not proprietary. You can purchase this as a bundle or the PAC module only and find a camera of your choice.

JAGS

Hooked
Any camera can be used with this kit. The wire loom that comes out of the camera consist of a yellow RCA, power and ground wire. The PAC wire Harness has a dedicated power line, a yellow RCA line and the ground wire will go to a ground.

So to answer your question, no the connection are not proprietary. You can purchase this as a bundle or the PAC module only and find a camera of your choice.

Cool. Did an initial search and might one of the most affordable options. Thanks for sharing.

Rubicon310

Is your jeep manual or auto? I tried checking your profile, no luck. I have another brand of unlock box that claimed all the functions you have. Mine only turns camera on in reverse. No other options.

I have the automatic.

This same module works for other Chrysler vehicles and unlocks a VES feature that our jeeps don't come with. That's what the other two dip switches are for. When installing the kit, don't move the two last dip switches down or you'll have an extra feature on your stereo screen labeled VES that will do nothing.

1magine

I have same setup. Only problem is I'm getting no power from the red wire on the PAC harness labeled Rear Camera 10v power. I had to get power by tapping into the reverse light. But now I can't force on the reverse camera. Do you think it's the unit or maybe the fuse is blown on the harness's reverse camera power wire?

FOSJ

Just bought this kit. The install went smooth (thanks to Rubicon310's writeup). Because I have 35" tires and had relocated my tag and 3rd brake light to the center of the spare I couldn't use the camera mounting bracket that came with the camera. The camera kit comes with a hole drill bit in case you want or need to mount the camera in another location. I ended up drilling and mounting the camera just below the 3rd brake light in the pedistal.
0823171518_HDR.jpg
Once the system was installed I noticed a substantial delay in the amount of time between shifting into reverse and getting a rear view...sometimes as much as a 20-30 second delay. It appeared the PAC BCI module was working properly because the 430N radio screen was switching and a "Check Entire Surroundings" notification was visable....just no visable rear view. I called PAC Tech support (kudos to Dave & Ernie with whom I spoke). They had me do 2 things..
1. Move the camera power & ground leads to a switched power source (dash 12v outlet)
2. Disconnect BCI module and harnesses, restore factory config, then reconnect BCI harnesses and module using a 6-page detailed instruction doc from their website to allow module to properly initialize. Once that was done, everything worked great.

Great mod, reasonable price, no dealer 'flash' required.

Rubicon310

I have same setup. Only problem is I'm getting no power from the red wire on the PAC harness labeled Rear Camera 10v power. I had to get power by tapping into the reverse light. But now I can't force on the reverse camera. Do you think it's the unit or maybe the fuse is blown on the harness's reverse camera power wire?

I'm sorry, I've been away for a while. I had some major family emergencies that didn't allow me time to think of jeeps. Anyhow, I have read of others having the same issue you mentioned. I think it's best to contact the manufacturer as my install didn't have that problem. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help with your issue.

bzsurfer

Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

I got the PAC BC1-CH21 with this camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018800TR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm only listing the camera so you know exactly which one it is. If you go to the 2nd picture on the left hand side and click on it, right in the middle of all the wiring is red and black wiring. I tired to wire this into the cig. lighter so I would get power from there. But I don't get see anything when I put the Jeep into reverse except for the "Check Entire Surroundings" notification. Bug again, there's no camera screen.

Let me know what other info you may need me to provide in order for your to help me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

scottcj06

camera will not turn off

I wired my black and red wires on the camera to my 12v cigarette outlet. I followed the instructions and have everything else wired as it shows. The problem I am having is the camera stays on all the time and will not turn off. Any suggestions?
I called Extreme Terrain and they had me call AudioVoxx to try to trouble shoot but they couldn't help with this setup.
I have a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and one guy from Extreme Terrain mentioned he has heard something like this with the Rubicon models. Anyone else hear of this?

WJCO

Meme King
I wired my black and red wires on the camera to my 12v cigarette outlet. I followed the instructions and have everything else wired as it shows. The problem I am having is the camera stays on all the time and will not turn off. Any suggestions?
I called Extreme Terrain and they had me call AudioVoxx to try to trouble shoot but they couldn't help with this setup.
I have a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and one guy from Extreme Terrain mentioned he has heard something like this with the Rubicon models. Anyone else hear of this?

If your cigarette lighter is constantly on (with key off) that's your problem. Constant power there, you need to connect it to a 12 Volt IGNITION source or REVERSE circuit so camera comes on then rather than all the time. And Extreme Terrain sucks balls BTW.

scottcj06

If your cigarette lighter is constantly on (with key off) that's your problem. Constant power there, you need to connect it to a 12 Volt IGNITION source or REVERSE circuit so camera comes on then rather than all the time. And Extreme Terrain sucks balls BTW.

While I was waiting for your response I called Extreme Terrain and they told me to test that too. I did and it doesn't have constant power there. Mind you I only tested that by plugging in a car charger and my phone would not charge. I did not have any other means to test right now.
When I called them back they said it must be a defective product. I know that could be the case but is there any other thing I can do before I return it to double check?

WJCO

Meme King
While I was waiting for your response I called Extreme Terrain and they told me to test that too. I did and it doesn't have constant power there. Mind you I only tested that by plugging in a car charger and my phone would not charge. I did not have any other means to test right now.
When I called them back they said it must be a defective product. I know that could be the case but is there any other thing I can do before I return it to double check?

It makes no sense that the camera would be staying on if it was defective unless it has a backup battery. It is receiving power from somewhere somehow. Which 12V socket are you using and what year is your vehicle?

scottcj06

It makes no sense that the camera would be staying on if it was defective unless it has a backup battery. It is receiving power from somewhere somehow. Which 12V socket are you using and what year is your vehicle?

I am using the 12v outlet on the center panel next to the hazard lights. I should mention that when I turn the key off, and before I open to the door and the radio shuts off, this is the only time the camera shuts off and gives me control again of the radio. But once the key is in the ignition the camera comes right on and stays on.
On that 12v outlet I spliced the red (power) to the blue and purple and the black (negative) to the black and white wire. That is the only wiring I did myself, everything else "should be" plug and play with the wire harnesses.
I have a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon with a manual trans, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Top Bottom