Potential Build Thread: 2015 JKUR "Jessie"

Hello all this is my first go around at creating a build thread. im gonna start off saying this is going to be a slow build and for most of the beginning its gonna be asking for help in what Direction im going to take the build and small DIY mods i can do. the reason its gonna be a slow build is im gonna try and take the responsible adult way and try to pay off as much as i can before i start sinking money into it.

Now that's outta the way i'd like to introduce the patient Jessie. she is a bone stock 2015 Bright White Rubicon unlimited 6 speed Man's Mission. this is my first jeep but i'm not new to the car world with lingo and mods and how everything works, but i will say im not a pro and im always open for correction and knowledge from others. I've been a long time lurker on these forums and have seen people asking for help on how to build there jeep and a majority of the response is whats the end goal of the build. so that's where i would like to start.

My end goal is to have this jeep be a good daily driver but off road capable. for this jeep to satisfy the daily driver section in needs to be able to cruise the highway at 65 MPH within a reasonable RPM range 2300 to 2600 with no issues our sounding like its gonna grenade, and handle respectably around corners on the back roads. for the off road part if any trails its going to see there is gonna be lots of mud and rocks not to many overland trails where i live in NYS mostly woods and power-lines.

i have a small list of mods that i plan on doing and i would appreciate any feedback i can get on them or other things i missed. im also in the process of saving for a new front axle if or when the stock one breaks. so if any has any recommendations on one that wont break the bank that would be greatly appreciated too!

Engine:
• Borla cat-back exhaust
• Cold air intake
• Superchips trial dash 2
Driveline:
• Chromoly axle shafts
• C-Gussets
• Adams 1310 Front drive shaft
• Center force Dual friction clutch (When OEM wears out)
• 5.13 gears with stock Rubi lockers
Suspension/Steering:
• Rock Krawler 3.5” X-Factor (i live 15min from there shop in waterford NY)
• Dynatrac ball joints
• High steer skit (maybe new Drag link)
• Currie Tie-Rod
• Reid Racing knuckles
• PSC HD Steering Box
Exterior:
• Stubby front bumper with stinger
• Rear bumper/tire carrier combo
• VKS rock sliders
• Skid plates
• Winch
• Metal Flat fenders
Wheels/tires:
• 37x13.50xR17Copper Discovery STT PRO
• 17” Steelies with 4in back spacing

Hello all this is my first go around at creating a build thread. im gonna start off saying this is going to be a slow build and for most of the beginning its gonna be asking for help in what Direction im going to take the build and small DIY mods i can do. the reason its gonna be a slow build is im gonna try and take the responsible adult way and try to pay off as much as i can before i start sinking money into it.

Now that's outta the way i'd like to introduce the patient Jessie. she is a bone stock 2015 Bright White Rubicon unlimited 6 speed Man's Mission. this is my first jeep but i'm not new to the car world with lingo and mods and how everything works, but i will say im not a pro and im always open for correction and knowledge from others. I've been a long time lurker on these forums and have seen people asking for help on how to build there jeep and a majority of the response is whats the end goal of the build. so that's where i would like to start.

My end goal is to have this jeep be a good daily driver but off road capable. for this jeep to satisfy the daily driver section in needs to be able to cruise the highway at 65 MPH within a reasonable RPM range 2300 to 2600 with no issues our sounding like its gonna grenade, and handle respectably around corners on the back roads. for the off road part if any trails its going to see there is gonna be lots of mud and rocks not to many overland trails where i live in NYS mostly woods and power-lines.

i have a small list of mods that i plan on doing and i would appreciate any feedback i can get on them or other things i missed. im also in the process of saving for a new front axle if or when the stock one breaks. so if any has any recommendations on one that wont break the bank that would be greatly appreciated too!

Engine:
• Borla cat-back exhaust
• Cold air intake
• Superchips trial dash 2
Driveline:
• Chromoly axle shafts
• C-Gussets
• Adams 1310 Front drive shaft
• Center force Dual friction clutch (When OEM wears out)
• 5.13 gears with stock Rubi lockers
Suspension/Steering:
• Rock Krawler 3.5” X-Factor (i live 15min from there shop in waterford NY)
• Dynatrac ball joints
• High steer skit (maybe new Drag link)
• Currie Tie-Rod
• Reid Racing knuckles
• PSC HD Steering Box
Exterior:
• Stubby front bumper with stinger
• Rear bumper/tire carrier combo
• VKS rock sliders
• Skid plates
• Winch
• Metal Flat fenders
Wheels/tires:
• 37x13.50xR17Copper Discovery STT PRO
• 17” Steelies with 4in back spacing

rogerk93

Welcome to WAYALIFE. As most builds on here it is a very slow process but deff enjoyable to see your build grow and come closer to where you want to get it. The one thing on the list I can say is save your money with the Reid racing knuckles they are overpriced and not necessary. If you must have an aftermarket knuckle then look at rancho it is a little cheaper and someone on this forum has already installed them and he had good things to say.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Welcome to WAL!

Nice build list. two things I noticed: Maybe do some research on the Cold Air Intake (CAI). Could be a reason for the dealership to deny warranty coverage. Even on a factory CAI installed by the dealership.
I get the RK shop is right by your house but DO NOT get the "mid-arm" version of that kit. It centers the wheel in the opening just fine but causes many clearance issues and unnecessary
extra work. Get the standard length arms!

Welcome to WAYALIFE. As most builds on here it is a very slow process but deff enjoyable to see your build grow and come closer to where you want to get it. The one thing on the list I can say is save your money with the Reid racing knuckles they are overpriced and not necessary. If you must have an aftermarket knuckle then look at rancho it is a little cheaper and someone on this forum has already installed them and he had good things to say.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the info! i think i was a little miss lead when i was looking at components needed to run a high steer set up and that those knuckles are ready for it with no drilling required. if they still need to be drillen then ill just do it on my stockers and if i screw them up ill look at the rancho's.

Welcome to WAL!

Nice build list. two things I noticed: Maybe do some research on the Cold Air Intake (CAI). Could be a reason for the dealership to deny warranty coverage. Even on a factory CAI installed by the dealership.
I get the RK shop is right by your house but DO NOT get the "mid-arm" version of that kit. It centers the wheel in the opening just fine but causes many clearance issues and unnecessary
extra work. Get the standard length arms!

Thank you! and im already debating what to do about the warranty. i bought it used from a jeep dealer with 15k on the odometer and with the progress im expecting to make ill be past the 36K/3yr warranty jeep gives you. but the dealer has there own unlimited miles lifetime "Limited" power-train warranty but its BS becasue it only covers moving internal engine components, transmission (NOT the clutch or TOB), transfer case and axles unless they are wear and tear parts like pretty much everything that they say they cover. im gonna try and wait out as long as i can to weed out any problems and hope for the best.

now about the lift im always open for suggestions and info on getting the best bang for my buck. now when you say get the standard length arms they are the non adjustable ones same length as stock just heavier duty and better joints? is there another lift that would better suit my needs or going with the RK long arm be best? i just don't like the idea of cutting off the stock lower mounts and having to relocate. would ground clearance be an issue?

Ddays

Hooked
Thank you! and im already debating what to do about the warranty. i bought it used from a jeep dealer with 15k on the odometer and with the progress im expecting to make ill be past the 36K/3yr warranty jeep gives you. but the dealer has there own unlimited miles lifetime "Limited" power-train warranty but its BS becasue it only covers moving internal engine components, transmission (NOT the clutch or TOB), transfer case and axles unless they are wear and tear parts like pretty much everything that they say they cover. im gonna try and wait out as long as i can to weed out any problems and hope for the best.

now about the lift im always open for suggestions and info on getting the best bang for my buck. now when you say get the standard length arms they are the non adjustable ones same length as stock just heavier duty and better joints? is there another lift that would better suit my needs or going with the RK long arm be best? i just don't like the idea of cutting off the stock lower mounts and having to relocate. would ground clearance be an issue?

I'm literally seconds from walking out the door for a little trip this AM & wifey is giving me the death stare to get my ass moving...

Sorry - this is the short version of my usual RK mid arm rant: Mid arms move too much shit rearwards. Springs bow badly even with correction brackets, pass. side track bar bracket whacks the shit outta the bump stops, have to move the sway bay back an inch...

Stick with the standard (stock length) arms.

Edit: This all pertains to the REAR pieces. The fronts have done well

GraniteCrystal

Being that it doesn't sound like you're going any place super remote, you gave a Rubicon, and you're saving for a new front axle, I'd de-prioritize
Chromoly axle shafts
Ball joints
High steer kit
Tie rod
Reid racing knuckles
PSC HD steering box

You can live without all of those, none are things (to my knowledge) that would leave you stranded on trail, and if the stock components hold up till you have money for a new axle, you'll get the new axle much sooner.

I'm literally seconds from walking out the door for a little trip this AM & wifey is giving me the death stare to get my ass moving...

Sorry - this is the short version of my usual RK mid arm rant: Mid arms move too much shit rearwards. Springs bow badly even with correction brackets, pass. side track bar bracket whacks the shit outta the bump stops, have to move the sway bay back an inch...

Stick with the standard (stock length) arms.

Edit: This all pertains to the REAR pieces. The fronts have done well
Ive read about the clearence issues and how many people have issues. I think your right about the rear its stupid to move the track bar by an inch... i wanna do everything once and do it right. When it comes to the lift im willing to spend what i need to. EVO coil overs sound very very temping but thats way more then i need. I really dont want a Frankenstine lift so ill have to find away around some lf these issues. Thank you for the tips and help!

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Being that it doesn't sound like you're going any place super remote, you gave a Rubicon, and you're saving for a new front axle, I'd de-prioritize
Chromoly axle shafts
Ball joints
High steer kit
Tie rod
Reid racing knuckles
PSC HD steering box

You can live without all of those, none are things (to my knowledge) that would leave you stranded on trail, and if the stock components hold up till you have money for a new axle, you'll get the new axle much sooner.
I agree 100% i wont replace those things till they break or need replacement. Im gonna end up passing on the knuckles probably but once i get the upgraded and the 37's wear 40's are next [emoji11]

Quick update. i have been doing some research on headlights and fog lights for the jeep since i first got her. ive looked at everything from amazon specials to JW speakers. ive come to the conclusion that i dont need those fancy headlight assemblies its just not the look im going for. so instead i went with the Auxbeam F-16 Series H13 LED Headlight Conversion Kit and Alla Lighting 80W High Power Osram Xtremely Super Bright 2504 PSX24W LED Bulbs for fog lights. both kits are plug and play and installed in minutes with perfect fit. i found that adjustment may be needed on the headlights but not always. ill post a pic up of the lights when i get outta work.

one more thing i wanna run by forum members. i've always loved the look of red Diff covers and since im not gonna be rock crawling right away i would wanna put that money towards something else thats needed sooner. so i guess my few questions are what brand red spray paint/Bedliner did you use and did you take the cover off to do it or did you do it with it installed on the housing? thanks in advance and P.S i will eventually get upgraded diff covers this is till then

Its been a while since i last posted in this thread (almost a year), but I've been putting long hrs in at work and i now feel like i have some pretty big news for the thread. Since Black Friday (Thanksgiving) of 2017 i started my hunt on parts for Jessie, and i finally got everything i ordered and i'm quite impressed with the list.
  • Method NV Bronze in 17x8.5
  • Pro Comp lug nuts
  • Crawler concepts Mid width front and rear bumpers
  • Metalcloak overline front fenders
  • Ace Engineering Rear fender delete
  • Ace Engineering inner fender liners with turn signals
  • Poision Spyder JK tramp stamp/License plate relocation
  • Superchips TrailCal2
  • Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock mod with Bilstein 5100 shocks
  • Cooper STT PRO 37x13.50x17
  • Artec C-gussets
  • Spydertrax 1.5 Wheel Spacers

This is gonna be it so far since i'm pretty drained money wise and i'm going to install everything myself to save some coin. Pictures of the build will be coming around late march because its cold here in NYS to be working outside. Plus I know people are gonna give me shit about not re-gearing or beefing up the axles more or steering but at the moment i do not plan to go rock bouncing like some and i plan on replacing things of that nature when they breaks. This is meant to be a DD/moderate trial/Weekend warrior rig till i can get my hands on a second vehicle (a LJ or TJ)

Last night i just installed the Superchips Trail Dash2 in the jeep. i just couldn't wait any longer for the rest of the build to be started. Plus it has been nice out and giving me that spring time itch where here in the northeast we can finally work on our vehicles outside again. But back to the trail dash install, I un-boxed it and tossed the instructions out the window and went to the website. I had to download Fusion update software and the My-style to upload new backgrounds and retrieve the Data logs from the tuner. Once i plugged in the tuner with the fusion software running i had 5 updates to install so it took about 30 min then i was on my way to installing it into the jeep. i just mounted mine on the lower left corner of the windshield and ran the wire behind the dash and Zip-Tied the excess behind the speaker where your left knee is. some people might ask about clearance if you have a man pedal and i would say there is defiantly room, i have a size 12 and there is plenty of room to where you wont hit where it connects to the OBD-II port. the only thing is you gotta watch where you keep the excess so it doesn't get pinched or caught in the clutch mechanism behind the dash. after its installed just turn the key to the on position and follow the instructions on screen. once your in the ability to customize is nuts i spent 3 hrs just playing with the dang thing. i would recommend this to anyone who wants to know everything that is happening with there jeep at any point in time or just to have your passengers/on-lookers envy you and your fancy new device.

Pics will be up after work today hopefully:rock:

I worked on another install today. We had a heatwave in upstate NY (about 45 degrees) and i figured this would be a good day to give this a shot. I installed the poison spyder trampstamp 3rd brake light and license plate delete tab. The install was fairly easy but the hardest part was wiring if you have had no prior expeience with wiring, but even then it wasent to hard. The only question i had was which wire color in the rear tail light was what.

This is what i found:
Black=ground
White/yellow stripe=running lights
White/red stripe=3rd brake light

This is for a 2015 jku and you can find the white wire with the red stripe behind the black trim on the tailgate. I also finally got some pictures for this install hope yall enjoy. 20180216_205034.jpg 20180216_205053.jpg

Top Bottom