Thread: How to drill large holes

How to drill large holes

I consistently suck at this. Near the end of pushing thru the metal, the drill bit will catch. Either rips the drill out of my hand, breaks the bit, or both. What am I doing wrong? Need to work up to the larger diameter holes even more gradually?

IMG_20170218_123301.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    I consistently suck at this. Near the end of pushing thru the metal, the drill bit will catch. Either rips the drill out of my hand, breaks the bit, or both. What am I doing wrong? Need to work up to the larger diameter holes even more gradually?

IMG_20170218_123301.jpg
    Lubrication is your friend. you can also try a step-drill/unibit as well as high quality drill bits that are made for whichever specific medium you are drilling through.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Okay. My mind went to bad places, here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post

IMG_20170218_123301.jpg
    I saw in your thread you were done but step bits work really well for larger holes or even making existing holes larger

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    I saw in your thread you were done but step bits work really well for larger holes or even making existing holes larger

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by USMMA11NC View Post
    Lubrication is your friend. you can also try a step-drill/unibit as well as high quality drill bits that are made for whichever specific medium you are drilling through.
    Step bit was a big help. Thanks guys.

When drilling for my nutsert installation, I started slow and steady until nearly all the way through and just until the thin body metal was just about to catch and tear on the bit. I then reversed the drill and switched to high speed. A full reverse fast spin with moderate pressure would pop through and leave a perfect hole every time.