Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Jk Tie Rod Stud Stripped?

Stock Jk Tie Rod Stud Stripped?

I bought my first jeep back in july. Its a '09 2D JK in deep water blue pearl. It came with the essentials for a first time jeeper (bumpers, winch, lightbar, 2" lift and 33s). Couldn't have asked for anything better considering I paid nearly retail value. Well I pretty much wheeled it until the stock steering components started wearing out and I started experiencing the death wobble. It got to the point when i couldn't get over 35 without shaking out. Ive done inspections and found the track bar was my biggest issue. I replaced it with the RK Bomb Proof. Fixed the main wobble issue to where it was drivable again. Next on the list was my drag link. Bought the synergy drag link and upon install I loosened the tie rod nut on the passenger side for a little extra space to slip it into the steering knuckle. Once the DL was in i tried tightening the tie rod back up and noticed the stud was spinning with the bolt. The stud fits a 7mm hex head so i hit it with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a night. Next day i tried getting the bolt to go back down the stud and the stud stripped. Now I don't know What do do. Do I cut the stud and get a new tie rod end?

What stripped, the threads or the 7mm hex hole?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    What stripped, the threads or the 7mm hex hole?

The 7 mm hex hole. The bolt loosened with ease, but very difficult to tighten even after the PB.

Stock Jk Tie Rod Stud Stripped?

Quote Originally Posted by SkylerMitchell View Post
    The 7 mm hex hole. The bolt loosened with ease, but very difficult to tighten even after the PB.
    Try to place a bottle jack under the tie rod end and push up on it then maybe the nut will tighten, not sure other than that

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Try to place a bottle jack under the tie rod end and push up on it then maybe the nut will tighten, not sure other than that

I'll try that and see what happens, thank you for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylerMitchell View Post
    you can try to tap in a slightly larger allen wrench in it to hold it in place

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    you can try to tap in a slightly larger allen wrench in it to hold it in place
    I took bricks suggestion with the bottle jack underneath and used a larger allen as well. Using the combination of the two I still couldn't get the stud to hold. I'm all out off options now, starting to think I might have screwed myself

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Can you use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and make a slit in it and then use a screwdriver?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Can you use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and make a slit in it and then use a screwdriver?
    That's a really good idea, but the top of the bolt is above the tip of the stud I don't think i could make that work. This is how it looks IMG_4719.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you hand tight the nut is there any space left so you can just hold the top with channel locks by the thread? It may not be the best option but if there is nothing else left i would try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast