Bare steel bumper

rybread30

So I'm thinking about ordering a bumper in bare steel, my question is should I get it powder coated or could I rattle can it? Pros and cons to each? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Having just gone through this with my tire carrier - I vote powdercoat 100%

By the time I got a proper paint job on my carrier, I used almost as much in paint/prep as the local powdercoater charged ($70).

If you're worried about strength - look into the textured powder coat. I have this on my stinger bumper, and it's hit many many things and its still good as new.

I rattle canned my rear tire carrier with textured rustoleum and love the look but make sure to put on a couple more coats than you think. If you live in a place where rust is inevitable, like I do, it will help out a little bit to be more preventative.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I had my PS bumper powder coated in texture black. Texture black rustoleum is a great match for touch up. I rattle canned my sliders with primer and texture black. The finish doesn't hold up nearly as well and every couple of months I put cardboard between the body and re-spray them to keep the rust down.

Powder coat is "better" but it cost me an extra $250 for it. If you're on a budget, rattle can it. I toyed with the idea of clear coating the bare steel, but I decided against in the end.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a good powder coat company you can use, I would recommend going that route. To do a good job of painting can take a lot of time, can take up a lot of space, can still cost a pretty penny depending on what kind of paint you use and can be hard to make look really good. If you have them coated in a semi-gloss black or have it textured as mentioned, touch up with some semi-gloss frame paint is very easy to do. Again, this all depends on how good your powder coater is as some are better than others and a bad job can really suck.

BlackDiamond_JKU

I rattle canned all my PS stuff on my last JK, then like a dumbass, knowing how much of a pain it was (the initial process, and upkeep) I did it again.
I highly recommend getting it powder coated.

I did my Evo corners, sliders, rock guards, by hand, and really wish I had done PC [emoji849]

jkris

Be careful with this as well - if it's the rubberized version it won't hold out water and will rust underneath fyi.

Are you thinking of the rustoleum rubberized undercoating? The rustoleum truck bed lining WJCO mentioned is not rubber. I have used it on my rear bumper and it actually worked very well and set up hard as a rock. I have had many people ask where I got my bumper powder coated. It is definitely an option that is cheaper than powder coating, but in order to get a great finish a ton of prep work needs to be done. Sanding, mineral spirits to clean it, several coats of self etching primer, and several coats of the actual bed liner. Not to mention brain cells if you don't have a respirator.
That being said, while it is great for bumpers I highly doubt I would use it on an actual truck bed. I don't think it would hold up as well if you were tossing tools etc in there all the time.
Just my .02 cents.

Who was that guy rattle canning his sliders on the trail? LOL

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Are you thinking of the rustoleum rubberized undercoating? The rustoleum truck bed lining WJCO mentioned is not rubber. I have used it on my rear bumper and it actually worked very well and set up hard as a rock. I have had many people ask where I got my bumper powder coated. It is definitely an option that is cheaper than powder coating, but in order to get a great finish a ton of prep work needs to be done. Sanding, mineral spirits to clean it, several coats of self etching primer, and several coats of the actual bed liner. Not to mention brain cells if you don't have a respirator.
That being said, while it is great for bumpers I highly doubt I would use it on an actual truck bed. I don't think it would hold up as well if you were tossing tools etc in there all the time.
Just my .02 cents.

Who was that guy rattle canning his sliders on the trail? LOL

I think you're right. I wasn't aware there was multiple versions.
I had pretty poor results with the rubberized version, but I was just using it for underbody touchups.
Did you do the roll-on or spray on version?

jkris

I think you're right. I wasn't aware there was multiple versions.
I had pretty poor results with the rubberized version, but I was just using it for underbody touchups.
Did you do the roll-on or spray on version?

I did the spray on version. Starting with automotive self etching primer, doing very light coats and sufficient dry periods between.
I was a bit hesitant on how it would turn out but it came out better looking than i would have imagined. It has a very fine texture to it and is a nice black.

Rubi_the_jeep

I had both my waren bumpers powder coated (non rubber) due to the corrosion and rust. I had that done alittle under year ago and the bumpers still look brand new. (i beat the crap out of those bumpers)

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom