Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real advise on 37's

Real advise on 37's

So I have researched a lot of info about the negatives of going to 37's. I would like some real world advise from the WOL forum. Most of the articles are against it with the Dana 30; however, I am more interested in the Dana 44 that is stock on Rubi. I do have 4.10's and think I could live with it until a re-gear. Do I really need gussets, shaft and trusses. I don't wheel hard but do wheel and we have some large hills in WV. I have flat fenders and 3.5" lift so not concerned with rubbing. Mainly the axle and if the D44 can support it. I would upgrade my brakes as well.
    TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you're not playing too hard, you should be able to make your factory Rubicon front axle last with 37's. Gussets are nice to have but sleeves, trusses or what have you wont really is no stopping it from bending and really, it's not that big of a deal. Not like a bent housing is going to leave you high and dry. You can definitely get by with 4.10 gears and while it's not stellar, it can be tolerable. Trust me, I've done it for over a year. If anything, your driver side shaft will be the first to go and that can be a problem a real problem on the trail. But, even at that, I personally would just wait until you need to replace it with something better. All in all, I personally wouldn't throw more money at your factory axle than you need to and would just play with it until you need or can afford to upgrade it to something like a ProRock 44. That's what I did and the best part is, you can get a ProRock 44 housing that will accept ALL your Rubicon axle components making the upgrade a lot cheaper.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you're not playing too hard, you should be able to make your factory Rubicon front axle last with 37's. Gussets are nice to have but sleeves, trusses or what have you wont really is no stopping it from bending and really, it's not that big of a deal. Not like a bent housing is going to leave you high and dry. You can definitely get by with 4.10 gears and while it's not stellar, it can be tolerable. Trust me, I've done it for over a year. If anything, your driver side shaft will be the first to go and that can be a problem a real problem on the trail. But, even at that, I personally would just wait until you need to replace it with something better. All in all, I personally wouldn't throw more money at your factory axle than you need to and would just play with it until you need or can afford to upgrade it to something like a ProRock 44. That's what I did and the best part is, you can get a ProRock 44 housing that will accept ALL your Rubicon axle components making the upgrade a lot cheaper.
    Agreed. I'm running an EVO truss on mine, and while it's worked for the meantime it's still a significantly better option to go to an aftermarket housing.

I should probably add I only went this route as mine was already bent. As Eddie said, it was still drive-able enough to get me home.

The strength is a great benefit, but the added caster is really nice to have with 3+ inches of lift.

Aftermarket housings offer more than just strength. Something to think about.

Fresh Catch
    I ride with a guy that has a 2012 2 door Ruby and 37's with the 4.10 gears.

He doesn't do what you would call hard core but he beats it.

It is stock front end and the Jeep dealer here has fixed it under warranty as he says it should be fine with 37's.

He has a manual which I think helps him as he is in low range almost all the time with it.

Should he truss or gusset, yes, will he no. It isn't under any warranty now and he still wheels it.

It is a preference that each of us must make.

On my Ruby, I will truss and gusset the front.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by PapasJP View Post

It is stock front end and the Jeep dealer here has fixed it under warranty as he says it should be fine with 37's.

He has a manual which I think helps him as he is in low range almost all the time with it.

Should he truss or gusset, yes, will he no. It isn't under any warranty now and he still wheels it.

Honestly I find it hard to believe that a dealer would replace a bent axle housing as you rolled up to their lot on a 37" tire.

Quote Originally Posted by PapasJP View Post

Sounds like you've convinced yourself of what you need for your Jeep and how you want to spend your money. Being that both are yours, you should do what you want with both.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Thanks for this info. I'm planning on getting gussets and 37s once my 35s run out this year, and wanted to make sure I could get by while I save for a PR44 housing. I'm not doing any hardcore trails just yet so I feel like I could make it last a while.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDoesThat View Post
    Thanks for this info. I'm planning on getting gussets and 37s once my 35s run out this year, and wanted to make sure I could get by while I save for a PR44 housing. I'm not doing any hardcore trails just yet so I feel like I could make it last a while.
    As I said, that's what I did with Rubicat. I pushed her on 37's until it was painfully obvious that she needed a new front axle. That took about 2 years and a busted driver side shaft. I swapped everything into a PR44 and even ran the factory passenger side shaft until I replaced 80,000 miles later with an AlloyUSA shaft. I still have the shaft and carry it as a spare.

Been Around the Block Rubicon310's Avatar
    Eddie, do you happen to have a "rough idea" on what it would cost to swap everything from a D40 to a PR44? I have the rubicon with lockers. Plus the cost of the PR44.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon310 View Post
    Eddie, do you happen to have a "rough idea" on what it would cost to swap everything from a D40 to a PR44? I have the rubicon with lockers. Plus the cost of the PR44.
    I don't know what they go for now but when I did it, the cost was about $1,800.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast