Front or rear bumpers first?

buckweil

I have a 99 TJ and I've picked out both of my bumpers. Don't have the money for both right now. Should I buy front or rear with tire carrier first. I'm running 33's on stock tire carrier but I want that aggressive look of a new front bumper. Sorry if this is already a thread can't find it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I would get the rear bumper tire carrier and get the weight of your full size spare onto the frame where it belongs. Wheel with friends and you can get by fine without a winch.

GraniteCrystal

I did my front first. Eventually you'll need both though so I don't think you'll go wrong either way. If wheeling alone, do front bullet and winch. If wanting to run larger tires, do rear bumper and tire carrier.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Being that it's a tj I would deff do the rear first. The tj carrier isn't as strong as the jk carrier so that tire weight should be taken off the tailgate.

buckweil

I'm running 33's and that's good for me so far so I'm not too worried about a ton of weight back there but I also wheel with friends with winches when I go so that isn't a problem either. Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that it's a tj I would deff do the rear first. The tj carrier isn't as strong as the jk carrier so that tire weight should be taken off the tailgate.

Yup. At least a rear bumper tire carrier will actually do something useful as opposed to just looking good. So far as I can tell, the OP made no mention of getting a winch with a front bumper and without it, you'd just have something that looks cool. The factory TJ bumper is steel and if you remove the plastic end caps, it actually works quite well. At least, it did for me. :cool:

buckweil

Yup. At least a rear bumper tire carrier will actually do something useful as opposed to just looking good. So far as I can tell, the OP made no mention of getting a winch with a front bumper and without it, you'd just have something that looks cool. The factory TJ bumper is steel and if you remove the plastic end caps, it actually works quite well. At least, it did for me. :cool:
Thanks so much! I was going to cut it down into a stubby bumper anyways. Thanks again for helping out. Eddie knows best haha!

Top Bottom