Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Jeep Rentals in Hawaii

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch meljr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Blodgett, OR
    Posts
    39

    Question Jeep Rentals in Hawaii

    Hi,

    My wife is leaving tomorrow for a 10 day painting seminar and wild woman who-ha on the Big Island and told me at the last minute that she wants to rent a Jeep. Does anyone have some Hawaii Jeep Rental experiences or recommendations to share?

    Thanks,

    -mel
    Last edited by meljr; 02-21-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: more specific
    Jeep 89 Metric Blue MJ/Comanche 08 JKU X 15 Cherokee Trailhawk
    Other 4x4 76 Dodge W100 Club Cab Power Wagon 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins Crew Cab Kubota RTV-900
    Sports Cars 68 Triumph Spitfire Mk III 76 Triumph Spitfire 1500 93 Dodge Viper RT
    Bikes 74 Honda CB750 90 Honda Pacific Coast

  2. #2
    Addict jesse3638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by meljr View Post
    Hi,

    My wife is leaving tomorrow for a 10 day painting seminar and wild woman who-ha on the Big Island and told me at the last minute that she wants to rent a Jeep. Does anyone have some Hawaii Jeep Rental experiences or recommendations to share?

    Thanks,

    -mel
    I rented a Jeep when I visited Kauai. I simply upgraded my rental car to a Jeep at the airport. However they had a strict policy against traveling off road. There may be companies that rent Jeeps for backroad excursions and things and that may be a better bet if that's what she plans on doing. Also Jeeps are everywhere there and scream tourist so I'd advise against leaving any valuables in it, especially if its a soft top. Last year I visited Maui and in every turnout/parking area along the Road to Hana you could see piles of broke glass from vehicle windows. Just some info hope it helps.

  3. #3
    Old Timer black pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Sonoma
    Posts
    4,232
    Though I've never rented a jeep on the big island I have heard some good stuff about kona jeep rental as was said theft dose happen over there so watch out for things you care about a few good spots to take the jeep over there that I liked is Mauna Kea the views are amazing and sun set is unbelievable another fun spot is waipo Valley with a water fall at one end and a corse black sand beach at the other those are just a couple bigger name spots but there is so much more to explore on that island


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Take what you can! Give nothing back!

  4. #4
    Caught the Bug BPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    91
    My brother and I got to rent a 2015 JK Sport right at the Hilo Airport. We took that thing everywhere! We picked up a few tools to remove the doors/top but ended up not doing so since it wouldn't stop raining.

  5. #5
    Been Around the Block Frydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    482
    My jeep actually came from Hertz Rent-a-Car on the big island. Maybe they still have Jeeps.

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch meljr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Blodgett, OR
    Posts
    39
    Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I'll have her read through the thread before she leaves for the airport and wrap this up with what she decided doing and how it worked out.

    Thanks again,

    -mel
    Jeep 89 Metric Blue MJ/Comanche 08 JKU X 15 Cherokee Trailhawk
    Other 4x4 76 Dodge W100 Club Cab Power Wagon 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins Crew Cab Kubota RTV-900
    Sports Cars 68 Triumph Spitfire Mk III 76 Triumph Spitfire 1500 93 Dodge Viper RT
    Bikes 74 Honda CB750 90 Honda Pacific Coast

  7. #7
    Knows a Thing or Two HoosierWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    600
    We rented jeeps on Kauai from a regular rental car company. One of the park rangers told us where the trails were. We stuck to the easy trails since we were told by the rental place not to off road them but we were still able to go places other folks couldn't reach without several mile hikes or by helicopter.

  8. #8
    Been Around the Block Frydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierWolf View Post
    We rented jeeps on Kauai from a regular rental car company. One of the park rangers told us where the trails were. We stuck to the easy trails since we were told by the rental place not to off road them but we were still able to go places other folks couldn't reach without several mile hikes or by helicopter.
    Hah, I love those recommendations! I remember them giving me maps of Off-Limit roads on Kauaii and Maui. We used those restrictions as required destinations! Of course the dirt roads would have been more fun if we weren't in a Chrysler convertible!

  9. #9
    Fresh Catch loonies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39
    My wife and I rented a 2 door JK when we were on vacation on Maui a few years back. The Jeep would not shift into 4 wheel drive.

    I bet a previous customer busted that plastic tab that connects the transfer case to the selector lever...or the rental car company disabled it

    I was also advised that I must stay on road yada-yada

    We did the road to Hana and then continued around the backside of the island...it's not a trail tho, just a crappy road with lots of potholes
    2010 JKUR, TF 2.5", 35" MTZs, 5.38s

  10. #10
    Addict Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    7,718
    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Though I've never rented a jeep on the big island I have heard some good stuff about kona jeep rental as was said theft dose happen over there so watch out for things you care about a few good spots to take the jeep over there that I liked is Mauna Kea the views are amazing and sun set is unbelievable another fun spot is waipo Valley with a water fall at one end and a corse black sand beach at the other those are just a couple bigger name spots but there is so much more to explore on that island


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Waipio Valley is gorgeous..:I killed a truck rental crossing a stream in the winter there...deeper than I thought...my momentum theory proved unsuccessful...


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS