Jeep Rentals in Hawaii

meljr

Hi,

My wife is leaving tomorrow for a 10 day painting seminar and wild woman who-ha on the Big Island and told me at the last minute that she wants to rent a Jeep. Does anyone have some Hawaii Jeep Rental experiences or recommendations to share?

Thanks,

-mel

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Hi,

My wife is leaving tomorrow for a 10 day painting seminar and wild woman who-ha on the Big Island and told me at the last minute that she wants to rent a Jeep. Does anyone have some Hawaii Jeep Rental experiences or recommendations to share?

Thanks,

-mel

I rented a Jeep when I visited Kauai. I simply upgraded my rental car to a Jeep at the airport. However they had a strict policy against traveling off road. There may be companies that rent Jeeps for backroad excursions and things and that may be a better bet if that's what she plans on doing. Also Jeeps are everywhere there and scream tourist so I'd advise against leaving any valuables in it, especially if its a soft top. Last year I visited Maui and in every turnout/parking area along the Road to Hana you could see piles of broke glass from vehicle windows. Just some info hope it helps.

black pearl

Hooked
Though I've never rented a jeep on the big island I have heard some good stuff about kona jeep rental as was said theft dose happen over there so watch out for things you care about a few good spots to take the jeep over there that I liked is Mauna Kea the views are amazing and sun set is unbelievable another fun spot is waipo Valley with a water fall at one end and a corse black sand beach at the other those are just a couple bigger name spots but there is so much more to explore on that island

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BPA

My brother and I got to rent a 2015 JK Sport right at the Hilo Airport. We took that thing everywhere! We picked up a few tools to remove the doors/top but ended up not doing so since it wouldn't stop raining.

meljr

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I'll have her read through the thread before she leaves for the airport and wrap this up with what she decided doing and how it worked out.

Thanks again,

-mel

HoosierWolf

We rented jeeps on Kauai from a regular rental car company. One of the park rangers told us where the trails were. We stuck to the easy trails since we were told by the rental place not to off road them but we were still able to go places other folks couldn't reach without several mile hikes or by helicopter.

Frydaddy

We rented jeeps on Kauai from a regular rental car company. One of the park rangers told us where the trails were. We stuck to the easy trails since we were told by the rental place not to off road them but we were still able to go places other folks couldn't reach without several mile hikes or by helicopter.

Hah, I love those recommendations! I remember them giving me maps of Off-Limit roads on Kauaii and Maui. We used those restrictions as required destinations! Of course the dirt roads would have been more fun if we weren't in a Chrysler convertible!

loonies

My wife and I rented a 2 door JK when we were on vacation on Maui a few years back. The Jeep would not shift into 4 wheel drive.

I bet a previous customer busted that plastic tab that connects the transfer case to the selector lever...or the rental car company disabled it

I was also advised that I must stay on road yada-yada

We did the road to Hana and then continued around the backside of the island...it's not a trail tho, just a crappy road with lots of potholes

Brute

Hooked
Though I've never rented a jeep on the big island I have heard some good stuff about kona jeep rental as was said theft dose happen over there so watch out for things you care about a few good spots to take the jeep over there that I liked is Mauna Kea the views are amazing and sun set is unbelievable another fun spot is waipo Valley with a water fall at one end and a corse black sand beach at the other those are just a couple bigger name spots but there is so much more to explore on that island

Waipio Valley is gorgeous..:I killed a truck rental crossing a stream in the winter there...deeper than I thought...my momentum theory proved unsuccessful...

HoosierWolf

Hah, I love those recommendations! I remember them giving me maps of Off-Limit roads on Kauaii and Maui. We used those restrictions as required destinations! Of course the dirt roads would have been more fun if we weren't in a Chrysler convertible!

Wish I had a picture of the parking lot that was more like a rock garden we found a rental mustang convertible parked in the back of. That thing had to be trashed. "Nothing rides like a rental."

black pearl

Hooked
Waipio Valley is gorgeous..:I killed a truck rental crossing a stream in the winter there...deeper than I thought...my momentum theory proved unsuccessful...

Yeah there can be a lot of water in those valleys we did a hiking trip through all seven valleys starting in Pololu valley with the fine black sand beach IMG_4677.JPG and ended at the back rim of waipio valley IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2119.jpg it was amazing camping in the jungle and meandering around the secluded beaches

Shantz

I rented one when I was visiting Wailea... Budget Rental, they were pretty easy going as far as going off road... I'm sure it would of been a different story if I would of wrecked it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JDDK

rented a jku on big island for 8 days. explored a lot and did some lava roads to hidden beaches that I was worried we might not make it out. but Jeep! The Kona and Kohala areas are great for having a jeep. Even tho it was a rental, i babied it as much as possible. 20191007_124933.jpg 20191005_162538.jpg 20191007_182428.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom